Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Announcement

Important announcement from Amazon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 191 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011 10:45:30 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Still appears to work for me...

Forged: Writing in the Name of God--Why the Bible's Authors Are Not Who We Think They Are

Well, that's for Kindle; the same volume did not come up in Books (no Books came up, in fact), so maybe they're tweaking something?

Posted on Aug 6, 2011 4:35:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2011 7:57:27 AM PDT
Scath says:
I'd like a little more clarification on what constitutes 'shameless promotion'. Links, titles, blurbs, reviews thrown at people?

Or any mention at all in context to any particular discussion it may pertain to, without any of the above being a part of that mention?

I didn't like trying to read threads with people popping in every three posts to shout about their books and throw links, etc. in people's faces. I am glad something has been done about that. Two thumbs up! =)

But as someone who has tried to be careful not to promote other than in threads specifically requesting such, I'm a little ticked off that I got my hand smacked earlier for just mentioning my work.

NOT at the person who smacked me for it, but at those who have spammed to the point this had to be done, and because until that happened this morning, I hadn't seen anything that stated you can't mention your own work at all, in any context whatsoever.

I didn't post any links, titles, or even give a character name. What I mentioned was related to the discussion (or so I thought, which was why I mentioned it). I'd already posted to it 2-3 times, so was part of the discussion, and not with any diabolical intent to self-promote. I'd tripped over the thread and found the topic interesting, so joined in.

Someone even marked it as adding to the discussion before I saw the request to delete it because I'd broken this new rule.

So basically, what I'm understanding at this moment is that if someone says "oh this character had this", I can't even post "Heh, I had one like that once" regardless of the lack of links, titles, or any other information, because I've just mentioned my own work. That's not the greatest example, but it gets my point across, I think.

Is that correct? *Any mention* of your own work outside of the Meet Our Authors forum is now considered shameless self-promotion? Because that's the sort of clarification I require in order to make certain I don't tick off anyone else.

Better example: "Oh, I love Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels!" - "Me too, she inspired one of my stories!" (mentioned my own work, automatic hand smack?)

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 10:37:19 PM PDT
cbugs says:
If Amazon wants to make Indie authors talk about books under their own forum, then please make sure that the Anti-Indie book crowd are banned from that forum as well, instead of coming in here and bashing us, as they do in EVERY OTHER FORUM. They are the ones who should be banned as all they do is abuse people.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2011 10:42:58 PM PDT
cbugs says:
You will also lose book sales that you may have gotten from those authors that you put down. You once were a new author. Do you recall? SHAME ON YOU for betraying the industry that made you.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2011 10:46:05 PM PDT
cbugs says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2011 10:47:26 PM PDT
cbugs says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 9:00:16 PM PDT
spookiewon says:
Wow. Glad to hear you're not an author, since you can't seem to get the hang of properly using punctuation.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2011 7:21:26 AM PDT
Pulpman says:

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 11:24:29 AM PDT
earthjim says:
I'm very pleased by this announcement. I stopped looking at Amazon discussions quite a while ago because every string seemed to get hijacked by authors trying to self-promote their work. I think the absence of these promotions should make the discussions more interesting and I'm going to start checking them out again.

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 1:43:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2011 1:44:28 PM PDT
Jones says:
I'm an indie author new to the forums and I have been using them to self-promote my books. Reading this thread I'm hearing a lot of anger about that but some of it isn't well defined and I'd like to learn better ettiquette.

I get that spamming self-promotion everywhere without regard to the thread topic or genre is bad. I've only ever promoted my books in "recommend" threads that fit the genre of the book and I felt was a close enough fit to the OP's request. Is there hate for this type of indie self-promotion as well?

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 5:53:32 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 7:33:44 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
"reader: a person who reads or who is fond of reading"

Funny, I don't see anything about offering valuable criticism in there...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 7:36:46 AM PDT
I am very fond of reading. I spend most of my free time reading. I enjoy reading all sorts of works by all sorts of authors.

Clearly you only like reading your own useless little comments.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 7:38:06 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Clearly a nerve was struck. Bon chance!

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 7:41:42 AM PDT
Not at all.

Just proves how much you understand about the people you offer your petty judgements to.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 7:44:58 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
You're spending a lot of time & effort on something you consider petty. :)

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 7:47:34 AM PDT
Touche :o)

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 1:07:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2011 1:11:14 AM PST
brainwash says:
I'd be more impressed by Amazon's announcement if they first got rid of the obviously fraudulent reviews of the supposed "Midwest Book Review." 59,876 different books reviewed on Amazon and EVERY SINGLE TIME they give the book 5 stars? Clearly these are not reviews at all...someone is paying them to say only nice things about their books and pump up their ratings. I'd rather read an author's "shameless self-promotion" which is at least honest enough to say who is writing it, than this fraudulent stuff claiming to be written by a "Book Review" company.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 12:12:49 PM PST
P. Perkins says:
I can see why someone would think this ban on self-promotion was a good idea, but in practice it just clogs the forums with endless circular flame wars about awkward attempts at self-promotion by those authors who are not devious enough to set up sock puppet accounts, and what kind of evil secret agenda might lie behind such a policy anyway.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 6:05:35 AM PST
Sb says:
Hola

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 7:43:22 PM PST
DB Edwards says:

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 7:47:23 PM PST
DB Edwards says:
@earthjim

Yes, Ignorance Is Bliss.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2012 2:14:47 PM PST
>>It is unwelcome<<

Not by most customers. It has helped the community. I don't think it has hurt sales at all. Amazon is afraid too many customers will leave due to all the spamming.

This is so clearly not a Free Speech issue.

If everyone who sold something spammed the discussion threads they would be advertisement threads.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 1:01:30 AM PST
R. C. Bowen says:
It seems that the only way a new author can promote his, or her work is to do it alone through book communities. Publishers have lost interest in promoting anything. Let your authors shamelessly promote themselves where ever they can.

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 3:00:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2012 3:09:34 PM PDT
Ciel 1101 says:
Just one forum is disheartening. One "shameless plug" post gets over 1,000 to 2,000 posts by authors trying to promote their name, and who will journey through a swamp of over 1,000 posts? If there was a second MoA forum, things would be cleaner.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  64
Total posts:  191
Initial post:  May 16, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions