Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Announcement

Important announcement from Amazon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 191 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 9:17:35 PM PDT
Ah, yes, this is a "late reply" but I saw your post and have to agree about self-appointed English vigilantes. Following the rules of English is essential - to a degree, in order to be understood - but grammar is an evolving beast and should serve prose, not be its master.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 10:49:33 AM PDT
Donna says:
I totally agree, and the authors who have been on here promote other's books too. I don't like the spammers but the real authors are very helpful, they usually are readers as well as writers. It has to be very hard to get your book noticed without readers and reviews. So they are to only congregate together. Maybe we can join their groups? An idea. don't see anything in the policy about that.

The thing is if we read and review the author's books others buy those books too and Amazon makes money. So this makes no sense.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 5:52:05 PM PDT
I do not self-promote. I have no idea if my hard science fiction is any good, only that after reading all science fiction I tried to write something unique in the way of novels in a series. After 40 years as a professor in courses in which I required difficult synoptic book reviews, I know that it is hard for a reader addicted to reading for pleasure to reflect perceptively on what they have read when it is required and much more-so when it is not required. I can do it, but have learned not to expect it here where there is no compulsion or even enthusiasm for what appears to be a dying genre.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 11:44:21 AM PDT
mistercat says:
If you can't tell the difference between "wanted on Kindle" and "wanted interrupting forums", I can see your problem.

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 4:22:15 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 15, 2012 4:50:45 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 12:31:17 PM PDT
Linda Marie says:
wow, i am an indie author who is totally out of my depth on self-promotion. good thing i clicked on this forum because when signing up to be an indie author with amazon, i was encouraged to self-promote in related forums. now its a no no? i literally just put a book up late june and i am now terrified to even post anything anywhere. (good thing i haven't anywhere yet.)i understand why people wouldn't want self-promoting in a discussion where it would be intrusive. i can see both sides to the argument, but promoting my books to authors only?? they're trying to sell their books to readers too. how is that going to help any of us reach a wide audience? it's like, "dude, I'll read yours if you read mine"?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 12:47:59 PM PDT
K. Rowley says:
"how is that going to help any of us reach a wide audience?"

Try promoting your book(s) over on the Goodreads site..

http://www.amazon.com/wiki/Goodreads

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 1:06:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2012 2:40:37 PM PDT
Donna says:
You are of course, right. I for one read almost only Indie authors now on Amazon for my Kindle. But we don't want our discussion threads overwhelmed by Indie authors self promoting. If you come here and discuss good reads you like and we know you also write, we can click on your name and find out what you write, wrote or are writing, if you have a good profile. I have found some Indie authors come here and want us to read their books yet they have a blank on their profile page. Big opportunity lost.

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 2:17:44 PM PDT
Linda Marie says:
awesome, thank you k rowley for the link.

and thank you donna, like i said i am literally brand new at this and i am afraid of stepping on people's toes as i have hardly been on the forums to know it would irritate some people. it's a big new world for me now and i need to catch up. i have an author's page, but it needs to be bulked up some. working on that also.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 2:42:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2012 9:19:36 AM PDT
Donna says:
I just clicked on your name here. It takes you to your Amazon profile and there is no picture, nothing saying you are a writer of anything. Only your reviews of other products come up. I suggest you put your pic and your creds there: That you write, what you write, what you like, etc. Give people something to read and something to be interested in.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 8:47:01 AM PDT
And authors aren't the only ones who frequent the meet our authors forum. Many of us readers go there also.

However when starting threads there my advice would be don't make them promotional. Think about reading through a magazine. Do you stop and read all the ads for the various products or do your eyes just skim past them as you turn the page?

Threads like "My book is free this weekend only!!!" or "Great new vampire book!" are going to be looked into by very few people. In fact the only people who are going to post in the "my book is free" thread are likely to be others authors only stopping in long enough to leave a link to their own free book.

Instead start a discussion that genuinely interests you which is in some way related to your book. Because if it interests you then it's going to interest others. And make sure that your posts in that thread are thoughtful and have good grammar and spelling. Multiple times in MOA I've bought a book because the author was well spoken and wasn't trying to continually get the readers to buy the book. You can even start those kind of discussions in the other forums. It's just that the MOA forum gives you the added bonus of being able to link your book.

And I really mean it about the grammar and spelling. Some authors will come up with the attitude that they don't have to be writers when they are composing their posts. You will see messages like "Who cares if teh mesages I write arent spelled rite? Its a message bored, not my BOOK!!!!!" at which point readers will immediately put that person on their do not read list. It's like a baker who wants you to come to their bakery handing out free burnt toast samples and saying "Who cares if I burnt some of the toast. I'm giving out free samples. If you bought the bread it wouldn't be burnt."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 9:21:30 AM PDT
Donna says:
I see you have some content now in your profile. I would also suggest a picture, if not of you, of your book cover.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 10:25:10 AM PDT
Linda Marie says:
yeah, when i did my author page i never thought to check the amazon page i did so long ago. thank you! i'm trying to find pictures of me to put on my page, but i'm always the one taking a picture. the only recent one i have of me is on the beach in aruba and its kind of scary, although i am reading my kindle. time to have someone take a pic of me this once. i'm going to try adding a book cover too, that's next on my "to do" list. i need to figure out how to put one together. i know how to upload it once i get it. i'm hoping by putting it for free this weekend it will stir some interest. it should hit midnight tonight as i already put it through for the change.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 10:54:45 AM PDT
Donna says:
I see your book. Yes, you need a cover for it. And yes, have someone take your picture. Good luck!

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 11:38:48 PM PDT
Seems like Ammy's been slacking a bit lately :(

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 10:28:44 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 26, 2012 2:06:04 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:16:23 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Marsheena, please delete and repost here:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 2:07:53 PM PST
Thanks Ronald

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 9:47:33 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 13, 2013 9:49:45 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 9:01:07 AM PDT
Jason Wood says:
You are an indie author and don't know how to capitalize? WOW!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 12:45:27 PM PDT
Donna says:
I really have to agree with you. If you want someone to read your work, please do write as correctly as you can because I for one have bought or downloaded (free) books with such bad spelling and grammar that make me wonder if the author even reread their own work even once. Please please, authors, do reread your own books at least once. I know when I used to write I reread my work several times to make it as smooth as possible. If you read your own work you will find all those uncapitalized words, the bad punctuation, the run on sentences, the bad use of "to" for "too" and "it's" for "its" and other obvious errors that anyone who made it through 5th grade should know.
If you want us to read your work please have someone else who got good grades in English and grammar read it or pay for an editor. We want to read your story and lose ourselves in it, not be distracted and pulled away by the poor spelling and/or grammar.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2013 5:05:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2013 6:58:40 AM PDT
Most people will erroneously interpret the new Amazon policy to mean that you can use the "Insert Product Link" to include any book except one that you wrote. The policy means what it says - "self-promotion" not the erroneous (irrational) interpretation of the self-appointed thread enforcers. See the note from customer service (4/25/13):

This is David from Amazon Communities.

Authors and Artists cannot use product links/URLs to link to their own works while writing customer reviews but may reference their work in the signature of their discussion post. Only one, un-linked title is allowed.

For your reference, here is an example of what is allowed as a title reference in your discussion post:

My latest novel, "MY BOOK"(without product link), is similar to this author's latest book.

For your reference, here is an example of what is allowed as a signature block:

Jane Doe
Author of `MY BOOK' (without product link)

More information can be found at the Communities participation guidelines page at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=14279631

We hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,
David G

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2013 6:18:45 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Signature blocks are kinda pointless here when your name (with a link to your profile page) appears before every comment.

But please, continue with your whining.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2013 6:22:06 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
"Signature blocks are kinda pointless here when your name (with a link to your profile page) appears before every comment."

Why don't authors simply put a link to their books on their profile page... I often check out the pages of people who post in these discussions..

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 6:25:19 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 26, 2013 10:59:42 AM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new science fiction stories - and help take them to the next level
6 6 days ago
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
190 Jul 2, 2014
Announcement
New Star Wars Release: The Jedi Path now available. Read the author's insider notes...
29 Sep 24, 2014
I still like the old stuff, dammit! 13 30 minutes ago
Kindle Unlimited: Science Fiction Recommendations 109 1 day ago
Your Favorite Science-Fiction books and films of the year? 34 1 day ago
If you had input into a story... 7 2 days ago
Stories that are kindof-sortof about evolution / ecology 22 3 days ago
How about LitRPG (MMO-based virtual reality books)? 40 4 days ago
Please help! Looking for YA novel about a mysterious dome.. 6 6 days ago
The HUGO kerfluffle 19 13 days ago
Books having to do with Robots and what it is to be human? 23 14 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  64
Total posts:  191
Initial post:  May 16, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions