Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

New, Upcoming Science Fiction Movies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 908 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 23, 2011 5:24:10 AM PDT
http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/08/ridley-scott-will-direct-new-blade.html#more

RIDLEY SCOTT set to direct a new "Blade Runner" and "Aliens"

Also, I've been seeing TV ads for "Apollo 18".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 10:15:31 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
"Also, I've been seeing TV ads for 'Apollo 18'."

Who hasn't?

Starts September 2nd at a theater near you!

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 9:14:17 PM PDT
TheoGrouch says:
"Iron Sky," a Finnish SF/comedy; check out their Star Trek/Babylon5 send-up called "Star Wreck," it's hilarious.

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 6:51:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2011 6:55:22 AM PDT
This is marginally related:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14944240

GEORGE LUCAS CONTINUES TO INFURIATE FANS BY TINKERING WITH "STAR WARS"
This may be a tempest-in-a-teapot, but Lucas has been re-editing key scenes in his iconic "Star Wars" movies. Many fans are outraged, likening this to sacrilege. While the Creative Master argument goes that films are never "complete", and continual tinkering just makes them better.

What do you think?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2011 9:10:17 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
"What do you think?"

I think you're right: it's only marginally related in that it has something to do with scifi films. But not with any that are NEW or UPCOMING. (Would have made somewhat more sense in the "old films remade" thread.)

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 2:12:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2011 2:14:31 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
The upcoming movie version of "Cloud Atlas" could be cool, seems more like something Jarmusch should be doing though.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2011 8:38:57 PM PDT
IGS says:
Marilyn

perhaps he will edit jar jar binks totally out of the series

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 6:59:02 AM PDT
George Lucas will keep "Tinkering" with the "STAR WARS" Saga as long as there are people out there willing to shell-out hard-earned cash for the latest "Version".
George has a 'CASH-COW" & Will be milking it forever!!
Why work filming another movie? He has this and "Industrial Light Studios"
and assorted enterprises that keep him making those trips to the bank to visit his money;
Graciously given to him by rabid "Star War' fans.

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 7:34:51 AM PDT
I'm goin' surfin' and ARM -

Thanks for the comments. I don't understand this continual editing of 30 year old movies, either. Then again, authors can keep putting out "revised and updated" versions of their books, so maybe Lucas is just doing what authors already do.

I never understood the goofy Jar Jar Binks either. Maybe the character was just for contrast to the heroic calm-wisdom of the Jedi Knights. Or maybe Lucas just wanted the Jedi to be seen showing compassion for an idiot.

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 11:21:22 AM PDT
Marilyn,

You need to read up.

1) Lucas continually fusses with these because it is his art. And, he was annoyed that he never had enough money or time or technology to do the films the way he originally envisioned them.

2) Lucas specifically stated that Jar Jar was created to appeal to small children, and as a comic side-kick.

MAYBE I would go rewatch a Star Wars remake if it came out in a really well done 3D version.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 5:19:53 AM PST
http://darkesthourmovie.com

THE DARKEST HOUR - Opens Christmas Day 2011
Another alien-invasion movie, with a few twists: it's set in Moscow, and the aliens are just murderous energy forms.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 5:40:06 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Looks stupid.

JUST murderous energy forms... you toss that off like it actually means something, apparently without even thinking about how implausible a being composed only of energy really is.

Thinking: it hurts unless you make a practice of doing it every day.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 9:56:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2011 10:00:49 AM PST
http://www.thedarkwatchers.com

MEN IN BLACK: THE DARK WATCHERS (April 2012)
Seems to be a story of the "real, menacing Men In Black", of UFO lore. The trailer seems to show a heavy horror element too.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 5:10:57 PM PST
Any space-based hard SF out there? Something from this year, or coming up in the next? Or 2013?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 5:25:23 PM PST
Given your moniker, are you interested in the new John Carter movie? I wonder if it will be recognizable as something ERB wrote. Somehow I doubt it.

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 6:28:28 AM PST
Sailor -

Here's a list of science fiction movies projected to be released in 2012:

http://www.movieweb.com/movies/2012/sci-fi

There will be next-installments of "Riddick" (YEAH!), "MIB:III" and "Star Trek2". Also remakes of "Dune", "Total Recall" and "Logan's Run", among others.

(I'm trying to think of a joke related to 'So how many times are they going to remake Dune?' ...)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2011 7:53:06 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
(Well, you can stop straining because they're unlikely to make another one anytime soon. There definitely won't be anything released in 2012, except another crap novel, but it won't have anything to do with Dune except for the name on the cover. The Paramount plans died in production hell after going through three or four directors. Pay attention.)

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 12:44:54 PM PST
I'm exceedingly interested in the John Carter movie. I've been waiting for this since I was thirteen years old. I'll be just past forty-six when it hits the big screens.

And I'm worried. It may turn out to be a fine action-adventure sci-fantasy flick, but I'm starting to think that I'll be grateful to my ancestors sitting on the beaches of Korus if the movie is even half right as an adaptation.

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 8:05:20 AM PST
Sailor -

http://silverscreensaucers.blogspot.com/2011/11/new-john-carter-photos.html

PHOTOS FROM UPCOMING "JOHN CARTER" MOVIE

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 10:39:46 AM PST
Well, the Thark's head looks too skinny to me, and what the heck is that first picture? Is that Woola?

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 5:41:49 PM PST
Thanks, Marilyn. And the new trailer is out next week!

I'm pretty sure the first pic is supposed to be Woola, and it's an improvement on the little model I saw a pic of last month. Still, he seems to be missing about four legs. Maybe it's the camera angle?

We'll see in March, I guess. I'll see it, of course. Then I'll come here, there, and everywhere else to say whether it's like LOTR... or LOTL.

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 6:34:31 PM PST
Yeah...I'm going to have to go see it too. I still have all the paperbacks from when I was a kid. I also have them all in e-book form on my Kindle too.

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 10:29:21 AM PST
Sailor -

The new "John Carter" trailer is out!

http://silverscreensaucers.blogspot.com/2011/12/new-john-carter-trailer-hd.html

Story looks like a cross of "Star Wars" and "Dune". But special effects are terrific!

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 2:29:47 PM PST
Marilyn,

That John Carter trailer is very tiny on my PC and won't expand out. If any of you have the same problem, use this link-> http://disney.go.com/johncarter/

Good effects, but I wish they wouldn't make up stupid lines that aren't in the books, like "You are ugly, but you are beautiful!" UGHHHH!!!!! Makes me tear my hair out.

And it would have been better if (Dejah?) said, "You are John Carter from the 3rd planet Jasoom?" since the Martians don't call it Earth. My way even if you haven't read the books you would get it and is more in character with the books.

Don't they have any real fans review these things??!! Where's Peter Jackson when you need him?

Still, it looks much better than that god awful one from a few years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 6:59:35 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
(Thanks for the better link, Bob!)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 37 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  908
Initial post:  Aug 23, 2011
Latest post:  11 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions