Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Sci fi Book with Female Aliens?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 58 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 17, 2011 7:47:06 PM PDT
R. Cobb says:
I'm looking for a sci fi book (or series) with attractive female aliens. Also, it'd be great if it had a female lead but that isnt required. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

(I just finished playing the video games Mass Effect 1 and 2 and any book with a large cast of alien races like in the games would be fantastic)

Posted on Jul 17, 2011 9:32:57 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 19, 2011 11:34:54 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2011 8:55:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2011 8:58:33 AM PDT
M. Helsdon says:
C. J. Cherryh's Chanur books may fit your requirement:

The Chanur Saga
Chanur's Endgame

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 11:06:52 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 19, 2011 11:35:10 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 11:02:43 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 19, 2011 11:35:26 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2011 11:05:47 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 27, 2011 10:38:00 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2011 11:59:59 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 24, 2011 10:20:28 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2011 4:04:27 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 27, 2011 10:39:03 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 2:57:16 PM PDT
Take a look at Jack Chalker's 'Well Series' - "Midnight at the Well of Souls", etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2011 8:57:24 AM PDT
James May says:
Well, that's a tough one since a truly alien female would actually have nothing to do with a human female. However, there is a novel called "Darkon" by S.M Stirling I enjoyed very much. A very dangerous augmented human female from another dimension accidentally comes to Earth.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2011 9:16:24 AM PDT
Six says:
You might like the TV series Battlestar Gallactica (2004). Many strong female characters and female "aliens".

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2011 11:32:11 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 27, 2011 10:40:04 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 5:45:39 AM PDT
James May says:
I'd forgotten all about that Chalker series; I'd read the first one or two when they came out and then lost track of it somehow when I went on a long trip outside the country. I recall it was pretty interesting.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 10:48:19 AM PDT
Aren't all females from Venus?...

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 2:32:03 PM PDT
I have to wonder how many aliens would actually have male and female?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 5:02:51 PM PDT
TO: R. Cobb

RE: "I'm looking for a sci fi book (or series) with attractive female aliens."

In Robert A. Heinlein's novel "Have Spacesuit Will Travel," the human protagonists, Kip Russell and Peewee Reisfeld, have a series of adventures with a female alien who's an interstellar cop from a planet revolving around the star Vega. The humans call her the Mother Thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 5:12:35 PM PDT
TO: Sailor Barsoom

RE: "I have to wonder how many aliens would actually have male and female?"

Remember that for a species to have two sexes is just nature's way (and the simplest way) of stirring up the gene pool; with only one sex, any offspring would be clones of its parent - which apparently is not a good thing for species survival, at least in the case of higher organisms. One can, however, imagine an alien race that has more than two sexes, or one in which the sexual differentiation is not obvious to humans, or one in which the sexes appear, at first glance, to be separate species.

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 5:18:38 PM PDT
Two books are:

Eisess by Mazie Beck

The Female War: Aliens, Book 3, by Steve Perry

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 8:41:08 AM PDT
Yes, or a world where the aliens are hermaphrodites, or even one where they are sexually variable. There are fish on Earth in which a school will consist of one male and several females. If the male dies, one of the females will *become* male. It might be interesting to have an alien that does the same. Combine it with sexual dimorphism you suggest, and it could get very interesting for the first Humans to encounter them.

"You know it's strange, but these green people with the five legs, two arms, three eyes, and spiky skin don't seem to have any males."

"That's funny; these orange people with the three legs, four arms, two eyes, one light-emitting organ, and smooth skin don't seem to have any females."

"Yeah, and neither will let us anywhere near what they call the Changing House, though exactly what changes there..."

<both together> "HEY!!"

Another possibility would be that the males and females (or hermaphrodites) don't have sex directly with each other. Some other creature would transfer sperm or pollen or eggs or whatever from one to the other. The people wouldn't make any effort to be sexually attractive *to each other,* but rather to be attractive to the intermediate creature, which probably isn't even a sophont.

And before anybody calls me a perve for suggesting an entire civilization dependent on bestiality, remember: it works for flowers.

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 10:54:30 AM PDT
Captain says:
David Weber's In Fury Born has female aliens.

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 11:39:08 AM PDT
My Kestral series of books features a female alien and a female lead. (Click my name to find the books.)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 8:59:40 AM PDT
TO: Sailor Barsoom

Yes, there are many possibilities, but let's not get too carried away. A reproductive cycle that has too many steps or stages would probably be contrasurvival.

RE: "And before anybody calls me a perve for suggesting an entire civilization dependent on bestiality, remember: it works for flowers."

I doubt that anyone, in this forum at least, would call you a perve for exercising your imagination.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 9:44:34 AM PDT
M. Helsdon says:
Walter,

"A reproductive cycle that has too many steps or stages would probably be contrasurvival."

And being reliant on another species both increases the possibilities of extinction (if the pollinator dies out, or adapts to favor another species) and territorial range - if the pollinator is reliant on a particular environment then it isn't possible to exploit other environments very easily. So, for instance, if the pollinator can't adapt to other geographic regions, or even other planets, then the future of your species is severely limited. Perhaps your species founds a colony on another planet or in another star system, but the pollinators can't live there...and after one generator your colony dies away, unaware that the pollinators needed a specific compound.

Consider the implications of the falling bee population on our agriculture...

A variant on this would be Niven's Pak Protectors, reliant on the Tree-of-Life hosted virus to change from the breeder stage, but unaware that Tree-of-Life requires thallium oxide in the soil to host the virus.

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 10:54:35 AM PDT
"A reproductive cycle that has too many steps or stages would probably be contrasurvival."

That's obviously true on this planet. But on others, biological competition may be different enough to warrant additional stages; for instance, in instances where reproductive ease may give rise to offspring that do not contribute positively to the line. You could look at the various courtship rituals practiced by species on Earth as external "stages" to the reproductive process that help to ensure the best offspring.

There could also conceivably be biological systems in which one species 1 mates with borderline-compatible species 2, to species 1's benefit but not species 2's benefit (for instance, improper mating with S1 blocks proper mating with S2, resulting in fewer of competitive S2, and S1 can thrive). Additional biological steps that internally detect and block/abort the improper S1-S2 mating would then allow proper S2-S2 mating.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 12:49:18 PM PDT
EdM says:
Sailor Barsoom - "I have to wonder how many aliens would actually have male and female?"

For someone using "Barsoom" as a Nom de Amazon <G>, you sure seem to have ignored all the Martian [e.g. alien] females in "A Princess of Mars", "Thuvia, Maid of Mars", etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barsoom

"Origin of the name "Barsoom"
"Burroughs frequently made up words from the languages spoken by the peoples in his novels ..."

Another answer is that in Julie Czerneda's "The Clan Chronicles" series, there are sort of crab type aliens, with notably differently acting females. The main such character Huido runs a restaurant, where the occasional offed "bad guy" [male of female] becomes part of the exotic menu, so yes, the aliens in that restaurant "actually have male and female", although this menu item only rarely appears, and under disguised, exotic food dish names.

Of course, some aliens will "have male and female" humans, perhaps as Westerners have cows and steers in their diet, but Hindus [and vegetarians] don't eat cows/beef.

A perhaps more interesting question is whether humans and aliens are inter-fertile or not, in various story universes, resulting in half human offspring, such as Spock, Superboy, etc. That is, what do you mean by alien?

I wonder about possibilities in stories with a female half-alien, half human protagonist. Depending on how one defines "alien", the Liad universe stories from Lee and Miller involve many half human/half Liaden characters, most recently Theo Waitley in
Ghost Ship (Liaden Universe Novels)

Of course, a subtext in the Liad series is whether three different "species" who often war with each other, might not really be genetically the same or very close, from a common or root original genetic species.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new science fiction stories - and help take them to the next level
6 9 days ago
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
190 Jul 2, 2014
Announcement
New Star Wars Release: The Jedi Path now available. Read the author's insider notes...
29 Sep 24, 2014
Your Favorite Science-Fiction books and films of the year? 35 3 hours ago
How about LitRPG (MMO-based virtual reality books)? 41 4 hours ago
I still like the old stuff, dammit! 15 23 hours ago
Kindle Unlimited: Science Fiction Recommendations 110 2 days ago
If you had input into a story... 7 4 days ago
Stories that are kindof-sortof about evolution / ecology 22 6 days ago
Please help! Looking for YA novel about a mysterious dome.. 6 9 days ago
The HUGO kerfluffle 19 15 days ago
Books having to do with Robots and what it is to be human? 23 16 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  58
Initial post:  Jul 17, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions