Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Announcement

Important announcement from Amazon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 191 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 17, 2011 2:33:12 PM PDT
Pulpman says:
First Shameless self promotion is very vague. Does it mean if you say you are an author that you must stop writing in discussions. I ask because people are chasing off others for nothing more than that.
I do not think of people as "Trolls" sorry. And when you are in discussions that promote reading I find it hard to accept you start dropping product links for items other than books. It just doesn't make sense.
I also have been going through several genres discussions and all are seeing a down turn in activity since this policy. The only active forum seems to be the "Meet The Authors" forum. And there are not a lot of readers there as of yet.
I am beginning to think The policy was put in place to curb discussions and have fewer people needed to police the sites.

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 6:46:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2011 3:50:36 PM PDT
C. Hall says:
When I am in book threads I use the link for books when I am in movie threads I use it for movies!!!
I don't use it for movies in a book thread or vice-versa,that would be "off Topic"!

I suppose it means that people like YOU would be better off not posting in discussions since it's obvious that you are the type that would NOT refrain from hawking your book,and that is what is forbidden!

I have not seen any evidence,(except 2 posts removed) to prove that this announcement is being enforced,but I don't care what the reason is, as long as it IS enforced!

Whoever is interested in the genre you have written,your book can be found. How many genre search results when you click on the "tags" that interest you include books that may have only one or even no reviews?
So there is absolutely no excuse in TROLLING or SPAMMING the threads in the forums! Your book can be found without you posting in every thread in an entire forum!All that does is tick everyone off and make them sick of seeing your greed and making them determined to never even consider reading your book,not even for FREE!

What hogwash for you to say the only active forum seems to be the "Meet The Authors Forum" ROTFL! That is really a CROCK! I wouldn't think of going to THAT thread, yet I have seen plenty of activity in the threads I visit,yesterday AND today!

So crybaby all you want,many of us will be HAPPY,HAPPY,HAPPY,HAPPY,HAPPY,HAPPY,HAPPY,to get our forums back from self-serving SPAMMING authors!

Posted on Jun 18, 2011 5:52:44 PM PDT
Pulpman says:
You consider me an author. I would be flattered except as you can tell by my posts I am not. I can barely write these.
I stick to my guns on the lack of activty on posts. Even this one is down to just you and me.
Also everytime you use the product link you are hawking. It may not be something you did or own but it is hawking none the less. And amazon wants that. I have been only trying to remind people that Amazon is the one that owns this space no matter how any of us see it. It is their place.
I end this conversation with this. You claim I am a crybaby. Reviewing my posts I am confused. I do not believe I am crying at all. I also never yelled, refer to any one in rude terms or called them names. I also never assumed anything about the people I am speaking with, such as whether or not they are authors. I will leave you with this, you say you are a Grandparent congrats so am I. I encourage my grandchildren to be kind to others as they may need thier kindness someday.

Posted on Jun 18, 2011 7:13:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2011 7:26:46 PM PDT
C. Hall says:
Hmm, well actually the Science Fiction forum is not very large nor very active compared to many others,and I stand by what I said that other forums are not showing any drastic slowdown. The Movie Forum for instance,is very active with 156 "New" posts in a single thread when I just looked!

From noticing forums for years,I also think it is perfectly normal for them to slow down in early summer,much more so than in winter.

You know very well that you cannot accuse me of hawking" when I use a product link for books that I did not write,and films that I did not produce,and I am just trying to supply suggestions for recommendations. At least I try to make sure that they are as close to what was requested as possible,meaning at the very least they are in the genre requested! Which is something that not one of those RUDE SPAMMING authors can claim,and that is exactly why forum visitors have turned against them.

I always taught my children that respect must be earned,it is not given without reason,and common courtesy counts a lot. Also to never be a "blow-hard" that toots their own horn.

I have said all that I intend to say to you on the matter. I noticed that Amazon has deleted quite a few more scattered posts in the Young Adult threads,so seeing some activity has made me very,very happy,and I am looking forward to the day that all Self-Promotion is a thing of the past.

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 10:18:53 AM PDT
"All persons are worthy of respect, unless they choose not to be." If you don't know where that's from, you should read some of the SF books which are one of the topics of this forum, or take some philosophy and ethics courses. They teach that, too. Thank you, Pulpman, for your restrained and thoughtful responses to this glaring example of bigotry.

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 1:11:28 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 28, 2011 1:13:48 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2011 8:32:30 AM PDT
johnie oneal says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 9:00:20 AM PDT
Kodai Okuda says:
Wouldn't it make more sense for Amazon to post, and stick, a thread at the top of each genre's forum that is for author's to promote their books?

That way the book promotions would be in the appropriate thread for the genre it covers, and if one is not, I imagine it would be reported to a moderator and thus deleted.
Other forums operate in this manner.
I'm not sure if Amazon's forums are undermanned or not, but if they have the ability they should stick a thread solely for promotion of new SF books at the top of each forum.
That way Indie authors can get their titles seen by potential readers.
The new "Meet the Authors" board doesn't seem like a very viable marketing solution for Indie authors here.
In fact, it may even be something of a hinderance to them.

Just my observation.

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 10:48:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2011 2:54:52 PM PDT
C. Hall says:
Re: Kodai Okuda,
Your suggestion does sound reasonable with one exception,these *SPAMMING Self-Promoters* have been guilty of thread drive-bys where they post their book totally ignoring the genre of the thread or forum!

So based on their past and present behavior that thread would soon be full of totally useless posts that have nothing whatsoever to do with Science Fiction books and then they would just start filling up every other thread again!

If it wasn't for that,I think you have an excellent and FAIR solution.

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 9:38:23 PM PDT
Kodai Okuda says:
Thank you Chris H.
I understand how "drive-by spammers" could be a problem.
I had that problem at my own site with various adbots, etc., and had to clamp down pretty hard to stop it.
Thus, if Amazon is short handed with moderators I can see them not being able to implement a genre specific thread for those of us that are trying to get exposure for our indie books.

Ah, well, at least we have one board we can post on. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2011 1:45:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 3, 2011 2:38:50 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 8:14:28 PM PDT
Let's be blunt. Amazon doesn't want advertising that its authors don't pay for. These forums allowed authors to pitch their books when appropriate to a target audience. Now they'll have to buy advertising and pay through the nose. Thanks, Amazon. Always a pleasure to see profit trump culture.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2011 11:15:53 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
I'm not seeing what you are... Evidence?

(Missed your comment, J Dakotah, but will assume you knew best by deleting it.)

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 5:40:20 AM PDT
C. Hall says:
WHAT TARGET AUDIENCE,when they SPAM EVERY thread????!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 5:49:26 AM PDT
Karen L. says:
Drivel? Or dribble?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 7:05:33 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Is that an example of illiteration or asinance? ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2011 12:31:10 PM PDT
D. Atkinson says:
Is posting a plug for a book in the "Jedi Path" sticky thread supposed to be an example of "appropriate"?

Posted on Jul 5, 2011 1:29:25 PM PDT
C. Hall says:
No, according to the announcement by Amazon,it is not appropriate!

[quote]Amazon recently created a new community for authors. The `Meet Our Authors' community is designed to give authors a space to engage with one another and promote their latest and greatest works.

With the advent of the new community, we will no longer allow self promotional posts in other communities. Starting on Monday, May 16th, all "shameless self promotion" activity will be limited to the `Meet Our Authors' community. Promotional threads outside of these forums will be removed. [/quote]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2011 3:39:31 PM PDT
C. Sachs says:
Your constitutional right of freedom of expression is about what government can and cannot forbid you. Private businesses can set standards if they chose. Think of how many times you've seen that sign "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service".

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 9:04:19 AM PDT
QT says:
thanx

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 6:52:45 PM PDT
Funny thread.

If this were Library Thing or Good Reads, yeah, these arguments would have merit, but this is Amazon, and every single page on Amazon has "Sponsored Links" from publishers and marketers. CreateSpace and the Kindle are the worst offenders.

It's not about whether or not customers are bothered by spammers. It's about whether or not people can pass out flyers in a retail environment. I take Amazon's announcement with the same grit that I take with signs at the mall that read: "No handbills, no soliciting, no loitering."

Amazon puts a premium on its space, and while you all think you are in charge of these "discussions," you may want to look at the sponsored links and see that they have been selected by Amazon's computers to target all of you precisely, to get in your face and tell you about products that you probably don't want. (I think it's odd that right now, one of those ads I see is for the Science Fiction Book Club, one of Amazon's major competitors.)

Did you know that the "Buy This Get That" feature can be paid for by the publisher or author of that second book, to link it artificially to the first book without the permission of the first book's publisher or author? Self-promotion of a competing product, right there on the book page.

Author blog, right on the book page. Self-promotion again.

Flying Pen Press often sells its overstock in the Amazon Marketplace section for the lowest price. Not only self-promotional, it's self-selling.

It's a myth that "Amazon prohibits self-promotion." Amazon actually promotes it and we authors and publishers get emails from Amazon asking us to self-promote our work--spamming us almost weekly. Amazon just doesn't want us to do it for free.

Do you all realize that self-published and small press authors who self-promote give you the information that you hate for free, whereas the costs of paid promotion (called advertising) gets passed back to the readers? This explains why a Kindle book from a large publishing house usually costs $12 or more. Amazon charges a lot more than most outlets, per impression, so it really adds up fast.

Amazon customers keep moaning about the price of books, yet they tend to keep bashing the authors who are trying so hard to break the system of overpriced book marketing. You reap what you sow, and $12 Kindle titles will continue to be the norm.

So again, funny thread. Most discussion-area participants gladly pay extra for a book's promotion when greedy corporate marketeers are working hard to dominate the market and destroy the competition, yet the same group whines when the marketing is done freely by an actual writer who invested in his own book and has no other way to inform readers about it.

But thems the rules of capitalism. Consumers prefer to pay a dollar to a greedy multi-national media giant than to give a dime to a struggling independent writer.

If someone posts something that irritates you because its spam or whatever, ignore it. Going apey over what is essentially junk mail is foolish, a waste of our time and energy. If you haven't learned yet how to ignore spam and fly-by commercials, then I wonder how you manage to get through the day.

It's not like these poor starving writers are trying to phish your credit card numbers or sell you shares of Nigerian Oil Fairies. They simply want people to read what they have written, a real product that they have poured sweat and blood into for months or years.

Even Ben Franklin and Mark Twain "shamelessly promoted" their work. Can you imagine how Amazon would have treated Mark Twain's antics over his self-published book, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn? The self-published reviews for Poor Richard's Almanack?

Nearly every author has to self-promote to be considered by the public. Poe, Dickens, Hemingway, Frost, Rowling, even Chaucer--all had to say in public, "Read my book!" before they could be considered literary giants. Of course, they figured out how to do it in a way that is interesting to the consumer. Consumers vote with their pocketbook as to which marketing is interesting and which is irritating. It's been that way since prehistoric times.

Amazon is the marketplace of books. There is a lot of book hawking going on here, much like there is at the book market in Cairo. You're a fool if you think it's going to be more like your local neighborhood library, all quiet like and everyone minds their own business.

--David Rozansky
> Publisher, Flying Pen Press (Purely for your education, our Listmania catalog is http://amzn.to/FPPCatalog Please do not buy these books.)
> Authors' Business Manager
> Author of the forthcoming book, Fishnets & Platforms: The Writers Guide to Whoring Your Book (bot not for sale at this point, so cool your jets. The appropriate people will get an email spam from Amazon in due course).
> Publishing Member of Mountain and Plains Independent Booksellers Association
> Founding moderator of #SciFiChat on Twitter
> Amazon customer, reviewer, vendor, associate, Marketplace Seller, stockholder and ad client.

P.S. For what its worth, I advise all my clients to engage in permission marketing, never interruption marketing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2011 6:18:47 AM PDT
Pulpman says:
Well said

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 11:07:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 27, 2011 3:57:01 PM PDT
Amazon could at least allow authors to set their name-link to their product page instead of just their profile... would that kill anyone?

Someone needs to remind me why I bother to put my books in the Kindle store, when the very people who hope to profit off my books won't let me promote my books on their site.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 6:42:52 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 7:58:40 AM PDT
C. Hall says:
Well thanks to all those SPAMMING/SELF-PROMOTING authors it appears that Amazon has disabled the option to "insert a product link,so they might as well remove that little box!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  64
Total posts:  191
Initial post:  May 16, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions