Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

OLD CODGERS READING BACK IN TIME

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 948 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2008 11:16:03 AM PDT
BobLely says:
Yes, Wylie was good. For some reason, When Worlds Collide is easy to find but After Worlds Collide is hard to come by. BTW "After
" is high on my list of "books I wish there'd been another one in the series." It'd been inevitable in todays sci-fi publishing market. Thanks for the reminder about Triumph. Its been ages since I read it and I've forgotten how good it was. I'll have to look for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2008 11:26:31 AM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
Tyro---"...she fell in love with a hominid" is a familiar line. Vague images dance in the background of my thoughts, but won't emerge onto the surface. Maybe I've read too much....Right now I'm reading "Heretics of Dune". Speak of genetic engineering! Also "Beyond the Limits" which isn't exactly science fiction but contributes to an understanding of the future (bleak). These are the people that wrote the "Limits to Growth" that I idolized as a youth. I have my own theories now....Saw good scifi action movies recently: "The 6th Day", "Twelve Monkeys", and "Minority Report".

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2008 11:27:26 AM PDT
BobLely says:
I guess by the low standards of Heinlein's relationships "Unpleasant" is his best - as good as you could expect from someone starting from the premise that women are only truly happy if they're making babies and cleaning house. Unpleasant was a real early work. Heinlein trying to combine the hard boiled dick genre, sci-fi, with a little Thin Man thrown in. Oddly Sci-Fi Wire recently posted that it'd been optioned for a film. Probably the Heinlein story I'm least interested in seeing brought to the screen (with the exception of Farnam's of course) but perhaps it's going after the Matrix audience.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2008 1:18:44 PM PDT
I'm right there with you. I've been online alot (amazon, alibris, abebooks) re-purchasing Norton, Akers (Scorpio series), conan, etc. that I read in junior high and high school. I really enjoy getting the version with the same book covers as the ones a read as a kid. They don't make book covers like they did in the 70s anymore (with such artists as Frazetta, Vallejo, neal adams). Wish I could remember all the books I read back then!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2008 1:50:00 PM PDT
R. Morris says:
I do the same Mine was Philip Jose Famer's The World of Tiers series

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2008 6:55:01 PM PDT
Tyro says:
I agree about the book cover art being better back then. I wonder why the covers for so many of today's Science Fiction Book Club offerings are so bland or ugly? At times they seem to be downright anti-visual, with the actual art concentrated in a small portion of the jacket surface. Ah, entropy..

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2008 9:28:59 PM PDT
I have heard before about Heinlein's treatment of women as the lesser sex, but after reading and rereading nearly all of his writing I do not see this as a major characteristic. The overwhelming majority of Science Fiction and Fantasy and Mysteries/Crime Thrillers have always been about men, with women in lesser roles if they appeared at all, and popular fiction, especially in the 40's & 50's usually depicted women wearing bras and little else on the covers of magazines. Heinlein blended into this mold most of the time, but he also showed considerable respect for some of his female characters, not only in "The Unpleasant Profession of Johathan Hoag". Some examples:
<> "The Menace from Earth", a novelette and collection title.
<> "Podkayne of Mars"
<> Peewee in "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel"
<> Hazel Stone in "The Rolling Stones" and (briefly) in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
<> and the three "Witnesses" in "Stranger in a Strange Land" were not exactly dim bulbs.

Are there any examples I should reread where Heinlein goes out of his way to show disrespect for women?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2008 10:23:20 AM PDT
There is a collected works version for Cordwainer Smith that is well worth the read. Alpha Ralpha Boulevard and the Instrumentality of Man and Nostraillia are all creations of his that are in my opinion, brilliant. There are a mythic. His books are on my top ten favorites of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2008 11:28:59 AM PDT
sbissell3 says:
I just finished re-reading Isaac Asimov's first two `Robot' novels, `Caves of Steel,' and `The Naked Sun.' Both of these are also mystery novels, one of Asimov's other loves. I won't say much about the major themes in either; at times Asimov seemed to be as aware as me of the improbability of cultural wide phobias, but it was necessary for the plot, so no harm done.

I was a bit surprised to see the little `goofs' in these works. It was mostly in Asimov not foreseeing the future of computers and also in other smallish details, like `toggle switches' being around 3 centuries in the future.

What I found most interesting was the germ of `psychohistory' of the `Foundation' series, in these books called `quantitative' sociology. I was always a bit dubious about psychohistory, but let it go. I just found it interesting that Asimov was already thinking about it in these novels.

I'll probably wait until next year to re-read the last two `Robot' novels, `The Robots of Dawn' and `Robots and Empire,' which is the bridge between the Robot novels and the `Foundation' trilogy and is not a mystery. I may or may not re-read the `Foundation' trilogy and I have no use, really, for the subsequent `Foundation' novels. But on that score I'm willing to listen to reason if someone feels differently.

Steven

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2008 10:24:46 PM PDT
One of the ways that I have found old books that I may have read is to do a web search for book cover art by the artists that I liked. I have found several books with Frazetta or Jeff Jones covers that I really enjoyed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2008 9:19:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2008 9:23:01 AM PDT
Tom King says:
My favorite "re-readable" SF author has to be Poul Anderson. He was a trained physicist, an accomplished student of history and thus his predictive powers were pretty formidable. His Polysotechnic League Series is my favorite and one of my favorite all-time characters is the rascally old robber baron, Nicholas Van Rijn. I've always seen Dom DeLuise in the title role if someone smart had ever made it into a series. "Boat of a Million Years" is my favorite immortal man fantasy.

Heinlin for me gets tiresome after a while, but I never weary of Anderson. Even his obvious toss-off novels still hold up and he is a pretty nifty hand with fantasy, sometimes crossing the SF/fantasy line brilliantly. "High Crusade" in which a 16th century English nobleman captures a space ship and takes the Catholic Faith to the stars is an absolute hoot!

I go back to Orson Scott Card, Isaac Asimov, Anne McCaffrey, Michael Flynn and Frederick Pohl pretty regularly (I read a couple of books a week), but Poul Anderson is my favorite of them all - especially the Van Rinjh series.

Tom King

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2008 9:38:10 AM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
Tom King---Poul Anderson's "Trader To The Stars" got me into his style. Three fairly long stories of von Rinjh with the science background made me look for more. Now that I remember I'll look up a novel of his.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2008 7:46:35 AM PDT
Just thought about that Silverberg novel.......Twenty First Century political prisoners, stranded on the shore of the Great Cretaceous North American sea, cataloging Trilobites, under the salmon pink light of
our proto Luna, yet to shed it's embryonic atmosphere........Two other must re-reads......"Up The Line" by Silverberg, and Asimov's "The End Of Eternity" ......which could have been a basis for another "Foundation " type trilogy, in it's own right........
Important to re-read anything worth reading once.....same with cinema.......you just miss too much on the once thru.......and not just the mere words.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2008 8:13:05 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 3, 2008 8:13:56 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2008 8:17:37 AM PDT
This is off the topic, but y'all were the ones I was thinking of when I wrote it so I'll put it here anyway. Most of you will forgive me.

Hi Y'all, I was looking at my own discussion and thought of something and I wondered how you react to this question. I'm sure you've seen the question "What would you do if you knew you could not fail?" Well, the first time I ever saw it, 2 thoughts popped into my head almost simultaneously. I would invent time travel and an FTL drive. None of this curing disease or writing the great american novel for me, no, I want the impossible to be made manifest and I want it now. haha I finally decided I would start with the time travel and put the FTL off...I really want to see a dinosaur and watch the pyramids being built.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2008 4:01:03 PM PDT
I would become a best-selling sci-fi and fantasy author and invent a machine that could open portals to parallel worlds.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2008 10:25:06 PM PDT
Ok Joyce, now you've gone and done it :) FTL along with complete information on the "known" universe, including coordinates, inhabited planets and whether humans should seek contact or avoid, where pirates like to hang out. All that sort of thing. Where to go to get rejuv treatment would be nice too. I'd hate to croak just when things were getting interesting. Wanna go?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2008 7:30:01 AM PDT
Hi Brenda, Yeah. I didn't think about the rejuv treatments until later. I'm accustomed to thinking i will live forever and it wasn't until I hit 60 that I really began to feel the downside to that so definitely rejuv. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2008 8:52:14 PM PDT
One of the things I like about 'old' sci-fi is how optimistic it is. While the Foundation series has war, decaying empires and various other depressing subjects there is always a wave of optimisim about it. Much of today's sci-fi is so depressing.

The triple name authors of Eric Frank Russell and H. Beam Piper are much the same. When I eventually get around to writing my own stuff I'm going to try to keep this in mind - it will probably make me seem fresh and exciting to a young audience.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2008 5:09:57 PM PDT
Tom, thanks for reminding me about Poul Anderson's "The High Crusade." I thought I remembered it, dug through my loosely alphabetized collection and there it was. I re-read it last night and what a gem it is! The poor thing is falling apart, one of the few books of mine that has survived from the early sixties, so will have to be replaced. I haven't read any of the Van Rijn books, so I have a lot to look forward to thanks to you. Whoop!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2008 5:29:10 PM PDT
I'm with you on this Frank. I read Greg Bear's "Eon" and am now trying to struggle through the follow-up "Eternity." I don't give up easily and usually finish a book once started whether I "like" it or not. So far, I've read four other books putting off going back to "Eternity." Not only is it depressing to me, but outright creepy (and not in a good way, I usually like creepy). I'm planning to attempt it again tonight hoping that it will get better. Wish me luck.

I have Bear's "Darwin's Radio" waiting for me too, I sure hope it's not more of the same. This time I'm waiting to see before getting the follow-up, "Darwin's Children."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2008 7:47:22 PM PDT
Tyro says:
What a great thread this is! I knew of but had never read Silverberg's "Hawksbill Station," but now I'll have to find a copy and devour it, based on your description. I think the first Silverberg I'd ever read was either "Downward to the Earth" (bought because it had a Frazetta cover) or "The World Inside." He also edited the first volume of The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, still my favorite.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2008 9:11:34 PM PDT
There was also a sequal to "Shy Stegosaurus of ..." that I found as an adult. It was a pure nostalgia trip. I can' quite recall the title. My favorite from than time was "Return of the Spaceship Under the Appletree" by Lois Slobobkin (sp?)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 12:08:44 AM PDT
I love the really early Silverberg. I'm sure the first Silverberg I read was the Ace double which had his "Lest We Forget Thee, Earth" under his Calvin M. Knox pseudonym. Fun stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 12:19:56 AM PDT
I didn't know Silverberg wrote under a pseudonym. Another one to search out. I do love Silverberg's stuff. He's another of my go-to's.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  146
Total posts:  948
Initial post:  Aug 2, 2008
Latest post:  May 10, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 32 customers

Search Customer Discussions