Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Anti-gravity Out of Magnetics?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 867 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2013 11:01:01 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Again, if you think this is antigravity, then so is a hot air balloon.

(Hmm... if you coated the inside surface with a light, airtight polymer, could even a muumuu be converted into a viable antigravity system then?!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2013 10:59:12 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
You mean Bat Boy (or whatever) really couldn't fly like he did in the X-Men prequel?

Bummer. LOL

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 4:02:18 PM PDT
Yes, MM, this is well known. But sound can only move very very tiny and light objects. AND it has to be REALLY LOUD. And you need reflectors (like in a box) and a pure single frequency tone to reflect the sound wave to make a standing wave.

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 3:19:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 7, 2013 7:15:55 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 7:32:29 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
"Has anyone read this?"

Like you're really considering doing so?! LOL

You just want someone to summarize/condense it for you so you don't have to bother.

Lazy, lazy, lazy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 2:31:25 PM PST
M. Helsdon says:
"Hacking Matter: Levitating Chairs, Quantum Mirages, and the Infinite Weirdness of Programmable Atoms?"

It's serious science speculation. You wouldn't like it.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 12:44:06 PM PST
Has anyone read this?

Hacking Matter: Levitating Chairs, Quantum Mirages, and the Infinite Weirdness of Programmable Atoms

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:51:21 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Always time for Monty Python. :)

Supposedly the latter.

Marilyn claims that she wants to update and inform the science fiction crowd (both readers and authors) concerning science news. Because, I guess, she thinks we don't or won't follow such news on our own anyway. So she has several science threads ongoing here in SF.

I really think it's all because she knows the people over in the Science forum would soon rip her to shreds if she posted this kind of crap over there.

Or worse... ignore her completely.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 3:41:28 AM PST
Oz Yankee says:
Concerning Spam...

>>>> cue Monty Python

and now for clarification ... is this thread topic supposed to be taken seriously?
Or is it a scientific discussion being held on an Amazon SF forum page?

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 2:14:37 PM PST
Lol Ronald thanks for understanding.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 8:57:43 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Not to worry, Marsheena. This whole thread concerns a (fundamental misunderstanding of a) scientific topic, so it's presence in this, the science fiction forum, constitutes spam of a sort. LOL

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 3:03:04 PM PST
sorry about the spam.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 1:21:18 PM PST
OG InfamousR says:
she is spamming.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 1:07:30 PM PST
TO: Marsheena Doman

RE: "He's my best friend: Book 1- Young Love"

What does this have to do with the topic - or anything else, for that matter?

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 10:28:05 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 25, 2012 3:02:16 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 8:33:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 9:28:29 AM PST
Oz Yankee says:
Nothing beats a reliable, and fashionably Persian, flying carpet

*** Suggestion when cleaning your flying carpet ... never hand beat it like a common floor rug... ... I recommend investing in a high end carpet steaming system... much like a Bissell, Hoover or a Stanley Steamer..

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:37:33 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Where's my hot-air balloon? ;)

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 5:27:36 PM PST
Sigh. This only deals with moving electrons through materials. It says 'effective mass' because they think they can move the electrons more quickly using the right material. Accelerating an electron faster MAKES IT SEEM as if it has lower mass. It doesn't really have lower mass. That's what 'effective' means. They are making it REACT faster than it normally would.

It has implications for faster switches and circuits, and (though the article does NOT say the following, and here is a true speculative statement), perhaps it may help someday to create high temperature superconductors.

It as NOTHING to do with gravity. Zippo. Not even remotely.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:11:50 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
"No relation to anti-gravity (yet)"

Or ever. Magnetism is not antigravity. You still don't get it, do you?

"THIS may be closer to anti-gravity ..."

No. It's about reducing the *effective mass* of electrons to zero. It has to do with semiconductors and "may pave the way for faster electronic devices and detectors and functional materials with a strong electrical response in the infrared regime."

Nothing at all about antigravity. (So what if you have zero-effective-mass electrons? What about the mass of the protons and neutrons in the atoms composing the object you want to have floating about using your antigravity? D'uh. Think!)

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:06:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 10:12:44 AM PST
http://nextbigfuture.com/2012/12/magnonics-is-extension-of-spintronics.html

"MAGNONICS" IS AN EXTENSION OF SPINTRONICS AND RELATED TO HELIX MAGNETISM
No relation to anti-gravity (yet), but still an interesting discovery.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2012/12/metamaterials-can-reduce-electrons.html
METAMATERIALS CAN REDUCE ELECTRONS' EFFECTIVE MASS TO NEARLY ZERO
"... materials to manipulate electromagnetic waves and fields in previously impossible ways." THIS may be closer to anti-gravity ...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 12:42:16 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Exactly. My post on p. 13, from November 2009:

"Magnetic levitation is only anti-gravity in the same way that Balloon Boy's flying saucer was."

(Refers to that hoax about the kid floating away in that homemade balloon.)

http://www.amazon.com/forum/science%20fiction/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxWK0QNW07Z4M7&cdMsgID=Mx1LPCVX4NEFCEW&cdMsgNo=322&cdPage=13&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx3K8U3BIXX25BW#Mx1LPCVX4NEFCEW

20 forum pages and three years on and I'd put good money on Marilyn still not understanding this basic distinction. Oh well.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 12:25:43 AM PST
Granted, my physics is more than rusty,but aren't they different forces? Isn't gravity related to mass and magnetics has to do with the quantum property of magnetic materials? I mean, it strikes me as tantamount to saying air pressure is anti gravity because planes fly.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:58:06 PM PST
OG InfamousR says:
It is now. Thanks.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 8:25:10 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Is this nonsense thread still active?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:22:44 AM PST
Yes, one guy from the army claimed to have been posted to guard a flying saucer as it rested on the ground then said that it flew off at impossible acceleration. real science fiction there.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 35 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  62
Total posts:  867
Initial post:  Jul 17, 2009
Latest post:  Jul 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions