Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Please list an indie sci-fi novel you recently enjoyed!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 357 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 12, 2011 9:06:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2011 9:07:26 PM PDT
Jed Fisher says:
I just read Dirtside: A Diary of the Last War by Robert Wolcott and enjoyed it immensely. Sure, the Canadian punctuation and the occasional missed/wrong word is easy to poke at, but really, the story comes through loud and clear. (I thought the ending could be stronger, but it was good enough, so boo-hoo for me I guess.)
Dirtside: A Diary of the Last War

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 9:11:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 3, 2011 7:33:54 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2011 10:41:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 19, 2011 3:39:56 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 11:33:01 PM PDT
Umm, Clark and Stelly, you seem to be missing the boat here. The title should perhaps read, "Please list indie sci-fi novel (other than your own) you recently enjoyed!"

Glad to see you both enjoying your own books so much, but as an indie author, maybe you should be supporting OTHER indie authors and recommending their books rather than spamming your own book on the thread. As it is, you're giving indie author's a bad name by doing this.

So, Clark and Stelly, perhaps you can recommend another title you've recently read?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 1:50:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2011 1:43:11 PM PDT
I recently read (and reviewed) John Stith's "Manhattan Transfer." The review is on http://amazon.com, goodreads.com and part of a larger review at Useless-Knowledge.com. This marks the first time I read Stith and I thought it was an interesting take (no cliches) on alien-human enounters.

Also, while I would not call Like Rhinehart's "Long Voyage Back" as sci-fi, it is a page-turning apocalyptic tale.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 5:53:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2011 5:53:35 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
(Was going to quip that they can write but can't read... but then I read Timothy's second comment.)

(And that's AFTER editing?!)

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 6:13:44 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 7:48:00 AM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 9:33:48 AM PDT
I've been reading in other genres lately, but I did recently finish reading a sci-fi for the younger set. The Time Hunters is an excellent read. Definitely worth checking out.

Eric

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 6:22:55 PM PDT
Wow, Charles G. Wilson seems to have recently enjoyed the indie sci-fi novel 'Journey to Jangala' by none other than... wait for it... Charles G. Wilson!

CGW> I recommend actually READING the thread before you randomly self-promote your book (See posts #2, #3 and #4).

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 6:34:45 PM PDT
I'll give a shout-out for Blood Orbit, a clever "locked-room" murder novella that takes place in deep space.

Also The Unselfish Gene--A virulent virus on Earth turns people into "zombies" while the survivors, inhabiting a space station, race to formulate a plan to salvage critical resources from the surface before a planet-killing asteroid arrives. Did I mention that a secret cabal of environmental nuts aims to sabotage the mission in order to end the human race?

The horror, the horror...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 7:08:15 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 7:11:08 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
How about a shout-out for Pale Boundaries!

I've only read the Kindle sample, but I didn't hate it and do believe that a lot of people will probably like it! :D

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 8:10:54 PM PDT
A plug for Josh Brown who had the great idea of sci-fi fanboy haiku and shared it with all of us and now the thread has 159 posts... and growing we hope. I've enjoyed the thread but I haven't read the book

Josh Brown's Fanboy Haiku is one I want to get my hands on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 8:13:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2011 8:22:36 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
Go JB (Josh Brown)--most original and funnest (is that a word?) Indie contribution to the forum so far.

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 9:10:33 PM PDT
scifier69 says:
I recently read "The Diligent" by J.J. Goodman and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a little rough around the edges and probably could have used aonther edit before publication, but quite frankly I didn't mind - it was a fantastic, original story. The writer has a great knack for imagery, a key element to sci fi books. I've recommended it to a number of people and so far no one has been disappointed.

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 4:50:12 AM PDT
Juzbyosef says:
PUMP 6
Anything by OCTAVIA BUTLER

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 5:36:28 AM PDT
I read one called Shimmers by Richard Shaw. It was so terrible it was good, if you know what I mean. It reminded me of a late seventies early eightees sci fi. Someone becomes infected with DNA from an alien and they start shape changing. It's set in England and ends up turning into some sort of espionage/alien thriller. Definitely not great writing but it kept me reading to the end. Over the top stuff and made a big change from the books i normally read.

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 12:43:40 PM PDT
Zen Druid says:
Try Shard Mountain. This is the book link, the Kindle doesn't work right now althought I got the book for free on Kindle some time ago. Interesting near future Earth, well detailed, with the promise of more to come.

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 8:21:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2011 8:40:39 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
Any idea why we don't have a mob of Indie authors recommending books by other Indies? It doesn't indicate a healthy Indie scene or reflect well on it, if the members don't seem to be familiar with or enjoy the work of their peers.

btw--I'll second "Blood Orbit" as I have on several previous occasions.

and this is pretty good too, but it's more on the Perdido Street Station side of Science Fantasy.

The Price of Salt (The Grim Arcana)

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 8:55:43 PM PDT
I'll recommend the Solar Clipper series (starts with Quarter Share). Certainly not to everyone's taste, but I enjoyed them a lot.

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 12:51:56 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2011 6:24:12 AM PDT
When I first saw this thread I was excited at the idea of cross promotion, but was disappointed that the first couple responses were self-promotion instead. I almost gave up on the thread then, but came back to find the thread had been put back on track and some genuine suggestions being made. Hopefully, others who might have felt like I did will give it another chance.

I am a huge supporter of indie authors in general, but I have not read a lot of indie sci-fi. For my taste, too many that I've looked at are about war and that just doesn't appeal to me. That's not a condemnation. I know it does appeal to a lot of sci-fi fans and I think that's wonderful, but I haven't felt comfortable in what seems like a community for warriors, so I've been spending more time with authors in other genres and reading their books instead.

But I'd like to change that. I'd like to interact more with sci-fi writers and readers. Hopefully, this thread will offer some suggestions that are more to my liking and will make me feel more comfortable in this community.

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 8:03:27 AM PDT
Jim Reese says:
Maxis I believe is an Indie novel. I loved it. It had great action and a great story line. It was an all around entertaining read. Click on the title and read my review, which I wrote before I had finished the book.

Posted on Jun 18, 2011 11:12:45 AM PDT
Dark Angel says:
I just read Myths of Gods by Leigh M. Lane. It's part literary, part science fiction, lots of twists and turns. Turns religion on its head. I really enjoyed it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  168
Total posts:  357
Initial post:  Jun 12, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions