Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Would you go to Mars?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 9, 2012 10:25:11 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
I know it's a very long time off, but I keep reading about private companies wanting to send people to Mars. I know one wants to send 80,000 people.

Would you want to go? Why? Would you go if it's a one way trip?
My brother said he would go, but I'm not so sure if I would. As cool and exciting it would be, it's also very scary.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, just trying to pump some life into this forum.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 10:38:46 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
I'm probably in the running for the world's worst field geologist, but I'd go in a heartbeat. Just checking stuff like this out would be a blast:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2012-305

I could probably keep busy for a couple lifetimes, so a one way trip wouldn't be a deal killer either.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 8:55:23 AM PST
Slightly different question - would it make a difference if you could be in the first group there, and thus famous?

Hmmm...here's a morbid thought: you might be more famous as the first one to die there?

Tom - since a 1-way wouldn't be a deal killer, check out these guys. They want to send the first people to Mars as a reality show in 2023:
http://mars-one.com/en/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 9:03:58 AM PST
MommaCat says:
Absolutely. I'd do anything that needed doing. And every expedition needs to be fed. I'll cook. One way trip? Fine with me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 4:16:15 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
I wouldn't really care if I was among the first group there. I know if I ever went I would definetly want to come back.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 8:31:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2012 8:40:57 PM PST
Captain says:
Living in a tin can? I'll pass.

Good topic though.

Here's a great new sci-fi novel about the first castaway on Mars. Very realistic (the science is accurate) and an exciting read. The author displays a lot of knowledge about the space program.

The Martian

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 8:43:03 PM PST
Thanks for the link, Captain. It sounds pretty interesting and had great reviews, so I bought it (99 cents).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 8:51:58 PM PST
Captain says:
I've sampled soooo many of the new sci-fi offerings and been disappointed but this author can really write. Very funny as well as exciting.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 12:39:21 AM PST
Tom Rogers says:
I'm not cool enough for "The Real World" Mars franchise Bob. Many years ago, I did live in a studio (optimized for technoboys of the analog persuasion) for a while, but I doubt that would impress the producers. As far as wanting to be with the original landing party, I'd be happy to show up after the first Starbucks opens, coffee and Wi-Fi oh my.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 12:28:08 AM PST
I'd go. I hear those martian women are the bomb!

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 7:41:18 AM PST
This from last week:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/mars-one-finds-more-than-1-000-volunteers-for-one-way-trip-in-2023-160757378.html

I sure hope they have a good screening process of those 1,000+ volunteers! Most of you all seem OK, but I KNOW there are some folks on these boards I wouldn't want to be stuck with in a confined space for many years ;-)

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 5:33:57 PM PST
How do you screen out serial killers?

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 9:38:35 PM PST
D. Vicks says:
What about food and solar radiation?Hopefully,we will be there by 2030.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 10:12:23 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
Not much work for serial killers on Mars, at least for a while--I doubt many would volunteer.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 1:05:34 PM PST
J. Russell says:
Sure I would go as long as I was convinced they going to create a viable colony.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:00:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 9:01:26 PM PST
epb says:
I'd want to know the screening process. If we're going to export the same issues that have plagued humanity for millenia - pass. I've no desire to be trapped on ANOTHER planet with religous nuts, racists, or people that liked Ginger more than Mary Ann.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:44:45 PM PST
They aren't starting out with a colony of 1,000 people. They'll send four followed by another four every two years.

I wouldn't be interested. It's a suicide mission. Anything can and probably will go wrong and there won't be any backup help.

It currently costs over $10,000 to put a pound of anything into low earth orbit. Going to mars will cost more than twice that. Let's bring the costs down first. Bring it down to under $100 per pound and see what happens.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:54:44 AM PST
The only things that would be profitable on a cost per pound ratio would be drugs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:05:35 AM PST
Tom Rogers says:
Now you're starting to come around to the PKD view.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:56:20 PM PST
epb says:
Counter-proposal: outer-space would be great for movie shoots and tv series. The industry has already shown a willingness to spend gobs of money with no profit, so instead of giving ILM millions to make things LOOK like they're in zero-G, spend the same money taking a crew up and shooting the real thing.

A private company could build a space station studio facility, rent sound stages for movies, set a reality show there (Survivor: Space, Law and Order: LaGrange Point 7, etc). Next, use some of the profits to build a space elevator and gut the cost of moving materials and people to orbit (or simply finance the project with a reality show abut building the elevator itself). At that point, it would be financially possible to expand the station to include a theme-park, hotels, etc and the money really starts rolling in. With one (likely more) bases to work from in orbit, a lunar colony is probable for expansion, and once that's established. You're basically transplanting the movie and tourist industries to space. What Carnival and other cruise lines spend on a new ship means the cost of a cruise shuttle would barely make them blink, especially once we get a shipyard up there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:59:17 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
After reading that book, I think I'll take a pass.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 6:23:02 PM PST
A film shot in space would still look fake because people would complain that they couldn't see any stars.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 6:35:20 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
or hear the sails straining in the solar wind

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 8:33:45 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
They would have to edit out the alien spacecraft.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:14:53 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
And schools of migrating Moonsquid. :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Dec 9, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions