Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Another SF story read long ago - telepathy and "coit"ing in the future?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2012 9:58:45 PM PST
Anthony says:
Hey all, I wonder if anyone could help me figure out the author/title of a book I read many years ago. I remember very little of it except for one sort of silly detail. I don't even remember if the story was especially good or not, or if the author and/or title was well known or not. I know, helpful, right?

OK, here's what I remember: The main character is, I believe, someone of our time who finds himself in some society in the future (I think it's the future, although it could also be an alien world). Most people in this future/alien world have developed powers of either telekenesis or telepathy, and somehow this has an impact on their practice/appreciation of sex (also, if I remember correctly, their concepts of rape).

Also, in this future society, the word "coit" (as in coitus) is used as a verb to describe the sex act. There is also an uncomfortable moment early in the story where our hero uses the word "quite," but is misunderstood by the natives to have said "coit" because of subtle differences in how they pronounce words. And hilarity ensues.

As I said, this is all I remember about this book, which I think I may have last read in college (which might explain my mainly remembering the sex parts).

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I really have no idea what made me think of this at this point in my life, but it's been driving me crazy, and google (etc.) searches do not seem to be helping.

Thanks.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 1:12:14 PM PST
"Teenocracy", by Robert Shirley?

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 10:05:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 10:06:28 PM PST
Anthony says:
Gilbert, thanks for the suggestion, but no, that's not it. Doesn't even sound close, to be honest. That book sounds rather outrageous in its depiction of its future ("campy," one description I saw called it), and the book I remember was nothing like that; it was, in fact, rather cerebral, despite having an undeniably salacious component to it. Tonally, I remember the book I'm talking about being more along the lines of something like "Stranger in a Strange Land," in that it took on subjects some might consider taboo in a rather matter-of-fact manner. "Teenocracy" sounds more on the pulp fiction end of the scale.

Thanks, though. Maybe someone else will remember this - it's driving me pretty crazy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:22:38 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
"Also, in this future society, the word "coit" (as in coitus) is used as a verb to describe the sex act."

I think I remember that "coit" was used in a similar fashion, in George Orwell's novel - 1984..
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions