Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

How To Stop A Killer Asteroid

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 649 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2013 7:21:57 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Gee, Bob, that's really not fair dragging in "speculation" posted in another forum dedicated to an officially denied subject like alien visitation. The United States Space Fleet is an ultra-top-top-double-plus secret, and shouldn't be discussed openly here.

Remember the motto of the Space Marines: Semper non probatum! "Unprobed Forever!"

;)

Posted on Jun 24, 2013 1:15:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2013 1:18:12 PM PDT
Yes, Marilyn, they are. Are you going to submit to them that NASA should contact the Navy to get access to the Grand Fleet in space?
[Edited to add -- Marilyn posts constantly in the Aliens forum that the US Navy has a fleet of spaceships protecting the Earth. Meteors and debris raining down on us is actually the Fleet shooting down UFOs and other nefarious objects. She posts this in multiple threads over there.]

Posted on Jun 24, 2013 11:46:25 AM PDT
http://www.dailytech.com/NASA+Introduces+Asteroid+Grand+Challenge+to+Protect+Earth/article31790.htm

NASA INTRODUCES ASTEROID GRAND CHALLENGE TO PROTECT EARTH
"NASA also issued a request for information for ideas on locating, redirecting, and exploring asteroids."

Posted on Jun 10, 2013 10:26:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2013 12:37:15 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
I don't think anyone has mentioned the granddaddy of all nukes versus asteroids fu:

Project Icarus Systems Engineering

This is a revised edition, I don't remember which one I read, but the tech hasn't really changed much at all either between revisions or to the present day--except we don't have the heavy lift capacity anymore.

Another, even earlier book which deals with all sorts of interesting asteroid topics, including scientific, economic and apocalyptic (even the antiapocalyptic deflection of asteroids) is:

Islands in space;: The challenge of the planetoids,

This has a lot of good stuff in it and appears to have introduced some tropes that crept into hard SF too (at least I saw the ideas in it before the first stories where I saw them).

As a general observation, it would probably be worth doing some tests of exactly how much kick a nuke will impart to something that might potentially impact the earth, you get a lot of energy from a fusion explosion, but how much will actually do what we want it to is an open question.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2013 8:36:56 AM PDT
TO: CivWar64 (Bob)

RE: "...paranoid worrying amoungst all countries that some other country has nukes sitting in orbit that can drop on you at a moments notice..."

Well, one solution might be to have the anti-asteroid warheads under the control of the United Nations or some other international body. One thing that might calm other countries' fears of a sudden nuclear strike from orbit would be to park the missiles (along with their storage, maintenance, and command & control facilities) at any one of the Lagrangian points. It would be impractical to attempt to launch a sneak attack from there, given the time needed for any missile to get from the moon's orbit to Earth - a much longer time than from LEO.

Posted on Jun 9, 2013 8:12:54 AM PDT
Walter,

I'm thinking of the grand scheme of things, people worried about nukes exploding on a launch failure IS a concern, but gov'ts can get around that in various ways. The larger thing keeping something like this from happening is the paranoid worrying amoungst all countries that some other country has nukes sitting in orbit that can drop on you at a moments notice, no matter what that country may claim about the nukes (oh, don't worry, we would never drop them on you; they are only there to drop on incoming asteroids.)

The military usually works on the idea of potential threat.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2013 10:28:38 PM PDT
TO: CivWar64 (Bob)

RE: "I also don't buy the safety feature argument."

OK, why not?

RE: "I don't think we would want Iran or N. Korea with something like this that they 'call' (wink, wink) a spaceship."

I hadn't considered the international relations aspect. I was just looking at the anti-asteroid scenario. By the way, I don't think that North Korea or Iran will be a significant problem in space for quite a while. After all, neither of them have a reliable booster (North Korea's rockets are almost as likely to blow up as they are to make orbit - a capability which they do not have yet.)

Posted on Jun 8, 2013 12:32:46 PM PDT
http://spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=40863
ESA OPENS ASTEROID CENTRE

http://spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=40813
FIELD TESTS IN MOJAVE DESERT PAVE WAY FOR HUMAN EXPLORATION OF SMALL BODIES

http://spaceref.com/news/mission.html?mid=50
ALL RECENT ARTICLES ON ASTEROIDS

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 8:16:08 AM PDT
Walter,

I also don't buy the safety feature argument. I suspect more of a concern to many countries would be having something in space with 100 nukes on board. I don't think we would want Iran or N. Korea with something like this that they 'call' (wink, wink) a spaceship.

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 12:35:58 AM PDT
RE: "...there are a number of safety features that could be built into the spacecraft to prevent the nuclear warhead from detonating in the event of a launch failure."

The article seems to be trying to be mysterious regarding safety features to prevent an accidental nuclear explosion. There's no need to be mysterious. Even Little Boy (Hiroshima) and Fat Man (Nagasaki) had safety devices. Assuming that they would use a fusion warhead (more bang for the buck), even a fusion device needs a fission device as a trigger. Well, it's very easy to prevent a fission device from exploding. Either keep the two sections of fissionable material from coming together (using a simple steel bar) to attain criticality (gun-type design) or have a deliberate open circuit in the electrical system that detonates conventional explosives to cause the fissionable material to implode to attain criticality. Since those explosives must be detonated in a very precise way; if the explosives were to be detonated by a crash, the fissionable material would merely get scattered and would not explode.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2013 6:15:39 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Why?

Posted on May 31, 2013 4:25:28 PM PDT
http://news.yahoo.com/nuking-dangerous-asteroids-might-best-protection-expert-says-180546747.html

NUKING DANGEROUS ASTEROIDS MIGHT BE THE BEST PROTECTION, EXPERT SAYS

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 2:37:45 PM PDT
http://www.futurity.org/science-technology/defense-system-uses-sun-to-vaporize-asteroids/

NEW DEFENSE SYSTEM USES THE SUN TO VAPORIZE INCOMING ASTEROIDS

Posted on Apr 17, 2013 8:59:38 AM PDT
Some of you might be interested in this. They are currently holding the third Planetary Defense Conference in Flagstaff, April 15-19. You can watch the presentations live, as well as any you missed.

I learned about it from the Planetary Resources e-mail that I get (they are the folks planning on mining asteroids). You can read their first day conference comments about our discoveries about near Earth asteroids here-> http://www.planetaryresources.com/2013/04/defending-the-planet-new-partner-announced-and-an-upcoming-special-event/?utm_source=Interested+in+Planetary+Resources&utm_campaign=447617144c-PDC-Bechtel-Hangout-20130416&utm_medium=email

Here is the link to the conference's live streaming. It's free, and no registration is required-> http://www.livestream.com/pdc2013

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 11:11:05 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
Also I am not and never was "Tommy Rogers" of "The Fantastics", though I did field a lot of calls from his fans and wannabe groupies back in ye day.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 7:55:29 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
I voted for Kodos.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 6:01:21 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
"I know how politics can enter into any forum"

Yes, since you often are the one injecting it irrelevantly. :)

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 8:03:27 AM PST
I know how politics can enter into any forum, especially with the venal but clueless Obamabots running Washington these days, but here's a link to the Politics Forum:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/politics

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 4:33:38 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Wrong forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 2:14:56 AM PST
sounds to me like we need to shape one like the combination of Virginia and Washington DC instead...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 8:28:25 PM PST
linzgrov says:
If you could shape an asteroid into that particular Texas shape, and aim it very carefully, could the Dems retake the house? Could we get gun control? Could we not hydrofrack the heck out of every non-Texan's ground water? Could we just let people vote? Could we stop wasting time on this sequester?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 5:47:30 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
The K's for Kookie, right?

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 8:51:18 AM PST
James -

Yes, I am a different Marilyn Martin than the entertainer. I actually received one of her residual checks while I was living in LA, tho', for "singing and dancing." I returned it with a note that, boy, did they have the wrong person!

Marilyn K. Martin

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 1:30:29 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
LOL.

Yes, that would be a correct assumption. This M&M sings in an entirely different genre, and with much less talent. ;)

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 12:53:04 PM PST
Stop the asteroid? And ruin the entire plot of "Lucifer's Hammer"? Blasphemy!

I'm assuming the poster on this thread is a different Marilyn Martin from the one who sang "Night Moves" back in the 1980s ...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  61
Total posts:  649
Initial post:  Jan 10, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions