Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

How To Stop A Killer Asteroid

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 649 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 8, 2010 1:21:35 PM PST
Did any of you see the "Asteroid" ad during the Super Bowl, where the scientists see an incoming asteroid that is going to obliterate the Earth? It was hilarious. I especially liked that they used the guy who was the Darma Initiative scientist from "Lost".

If you didn't see it, you can go to http://www.cbssports.com/superbowlads
It's in the 1st quarter ads, 4th down on the right.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2010 7:47:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2010 12:47:32 PM PST
To M. Helsdon:
RE: "Hollywood can't do science or science fiction."

It's not only Hollywood that can't do science. I've been increasingly noticing that there are more and more documentaries that are factually incorrect. I'm not referring to matters of opinion, but to actual physical, verifiable facts. For example, one documentary that I recently saw referred to orbital speed in LEO as being 7,000 mph! Of course, the writer and/or narrator could have meant 17,000 mph, but still one expects better from a documentary - at least I do. But then, I'm "old school!"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2010 11:14:16 AM PST
Doug says:
Ya think?
How about that monument of factual veracity --
"An Inconvenient Truth" ???
the book
the movie
the oscar
and the nobel?????????

Al seems to be keeping a low profile lately --- wonder why?
Is it because this is the coldest winter in 25 years?
Nah........

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2010 12:20:44 PM PST
M. Helsdon says:
"Is it because this is the coldest winter in 25 years?"

The cold weather this year is caused by the Arctic Oscillation of opposing atmospheric pressure patterns in the northern middle and high latitudes - at the moment there is very high pressure over the Arctic and low pressure over much of North America and Eurasia, meaning that the jet stream and so cold weather is pushed south, whilst further north it is unseasonably 'warm' (Goose Green in Newfoundland was recently at 0C instead of the more normal -23C for this time of year).

So this cold weather doesn't disprove climate change, it may do quite the opposite because the arctic is presently far warmer than it should be. We don't yet know why the Arctic Oscillation works in this way.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2010 12:58:31 PM PST
To Doug Hile:
RE: "How about that monument of factual veracity --
"An Inconvenient Truth" ???"

"An Inconvenient Truth" is merely an environmentalist propaganda piece. Oh, yeah, the enviromentalists do consider that to be a "documentary," don't they?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2010 12:58:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2010 1:51:44 AM PST
Doug says:
Neither does Al (understand Artic Oscillation) -- worlds formost authority --- (Prof Irwin Cory) not Gore

Posted on Feb 9, 2010 1:00:15 PM PST
Doug says:
Bless you, Walter --- you KNOW the Emperor has no new clothes....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2010 9:46:09 PM PST
Douggie:
It depends on where you live to say it's been the coldest winter in 25 years!
I live in Florida and it hasn't been the coldest winter in 25 years here! Nor in Louisiana although they actually got snow this year. But we had snow there in 1978 when we lived there.
We have a daughter and friends who live in Illinois and it hasn't been the coldest winter in 25 years there either. Nor in Pennsylvania where my Mom and sister and my other relatives live. Maybe the most snow in the last 25 years but not the coldest.
My advice, you idiot, is: put your blinders back on, open your book to 1886, climb back in your hole and go back to hibernating!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2010 9:50:29 PM PST
Walter R. johnson:
Walter! You live up to your name!
You are a huge Johnson!
The arguments are over Walter.
Take your head out of your a** and join the rest of humanity!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2010 9:52:55 PM PST
Douggie:
There you go again!
You're not an authority on anything and neither is Walter.
Crawl back in your holes and go back to sleep.
You already saw your shadow on 2/2/2010! We got it!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2010 12:58:09 AM PST
Doug says:
Friends in Orlando would disagree with you, and probably the citrus growers too,,,,, soo Glenn,,, you can KMA again, go FYS, and delete.

Posted on Feb 10, 2010 1:10:21 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 10, 2010 7:31:49 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2010 1:39:52 AM PST
Douggie:
Not True BOZO!
It's not the coldest in the last 25 years!
I don't care what your supposed friends in Orlando say.
There have been a few freezes but there have been worse in the last 25 years BOZO!
As a matter of fact there were colder years in the 90's!
So SMD Douggie! You can KMA and SMD Douggie!
And for that matter GO FYS up the YingYang Douggie!
Or have one of your buddies fill up your PS!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2010 1:54:01 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 29, 2010 2:33:26 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2010 1:54:29 AM PST
Doug says:
Roid Boy rides again

Posted on Feb 10, 2010 10:11:26 PM PST
Yog-Sothoth says:
I dunno, Doug, whataya think? Crack? Meth? Blow? Perhaps prolonged usage of all three, or just two?

Posted on Feb 11, 2010 6:13:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2010 6:15:08 AM PST
Doug says:
Yeah,,, that would be my guess... space dust...

Posted on Feb 26, 2010 1:12:42 PM PST
M. Helsdon says:
There's a relevant entry in the Office of Management Budget for NASA:

* Increase funding to detect asteroids that could potentially pose a hazard to the Earth.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/factsheet_department_nasa/

Posted on Mar 26, 2010 2:19:16 AM PDT
M. Helsdon says:
An Avalanche of Dark Asteroids:

NASA's Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer searches for "dark" objects in space like brown dwarf stars, vast dust clouds, and your nemesis - asteroids. WISE finds them by sensing their heat in the form of infrared light most other telescopes can't pick up.

"Our instrument is finding hundreds of asteroids every day that were never detected before," says Ned Wright, principal investigator for WISE and a physicist at the University of California in Los Angeles. "WISE is very good at this kind of work."

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2010/26mar_darkasteroids.htm?list139933

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2010 8:56:43 AM PDT
EdM says:
Marilyn Martin - As this is in the Sci-Fi community, you deserve a razzie because this issue was settled years ago in the Stargate SG-1 series.
Stargate SG-1 Season 5 (Thinpak)

You simply put a hyperspace engine on the killer asteroid, as by using a hyperspace drive ship, and shift the asteroid into hyperspace until it is beyond the orbit of the earth.

http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s5/reviews/517.shtml

"DVD DISC - Season 5, Disc 4"
"Fail Safe"

"Earth finds itself threatened by something even larger than the Goa'uld when the team learns that an asteroid is on a collision course with the planet."

"The hyperspace effect of riding the asteroid through the Earth was quite imaginative."

The advantage of this method is that it is as likely to be successful as any other method on the horizon. What with the cuts in funding for NASA and next generation heavy lift capacity, there is little hope for any hypothetical method due to lack of available lift hardware. Not to mention the paucity of funding for the Near Earth Objects program.

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-Earth_object

Posted on Mar 26, 2010 10:34:12 AM PDT
stevign says:
I'm pretty sure Al Gore and the Enviromentalists would approve of the asteroid hitting Earth and killing all if not most of us off. It's just good for the planet as they would see it. ;~)

Get yer free bumpersticker today:

[KILL YOURSELF FOR ECOLOGY]
[PLANET EARTH WANTS YOU........DEAD]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2010 11:40:06 AM PDT
And another ignorant Republican speaks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2010 6:55:41 PM PDT
TO: M. Helsdon

Thanks for the link re the WISE and "dark" asteroids.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2010 9:17:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2010 9:18:47 AM PDT
M. Helsdon says:
Walter,

Looks like we won't see the next one coming... Plans to more precisely plot the orbit of the Apophis asteroid which has a small chance of hitting Earth in 2036 may be badly hit by funding cuts to the Arecibo Observatory, which was intended to take radar measurements in January 2013 to help rule out an impact. Arecibo needs an extra $2m-$3m a year to continue, otherwise the 2011-2013 observations will have to be abandoned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8579319.stm

Posted on Mar 27, 2010 1:27:44 PM PDT
"Frederich Nietzsche as anyone who claims to an interest in psychology should know"

Because he was a notable psychologist? I think you meant to arrogantly berate her for not knowing her PHILOSOPHY.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  61
Total posts:  649
Initial post:  Jan 10, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions