Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Looking for Recommendations - Dystopian reading

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 8, 2013 5:47:25 AM PST
Capricorn1 says:
Good day everyone,

If you have any recommendations for SciFi with dystopian theme, I'd really appreciate. I'm gravitating towards this theme lately.

Thank you!

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 6:00:26 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
Have you read the Dark Tower series by Stephen King?

The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger by Stephen King

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 6:05:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2013 6:06:41 AM PST
Capricorn1 says:
I have read the series - thank you!

I've read Ender's Game series. And Dune. Both way back when....

As an example - I just finished the latest book in the Wool series (Hugh Howey). Which are great, by the way.

Also a fan of Michael Hick's In Her Name series.

Thanks again!

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 6:07:03 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
Hmm - should have mentioned the Wool series, but since you've read it already..

Look around this list..

http://www.amazon.com/wiki/List_of_dystopian_literature

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 6:08:26 AM PST
Capricorn1 says:
Oh cool, thanks for the link! Off to explore!

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 7:08:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2013 7:16:57 AM PST
M. Carole says:
That's a good list. These are somewhat post apocalyptic dystopias, but I'd add A Canticle for Leibowitz to it, and if you're okay with young adult, Ann Aguirre's Enclave and Veronica Roth's Divergent are good reads. Doris Lessing's The Memoirs of a Survivor just came up in another forum - it's social commentary, but is also a post apocalyptic dystopia.

One of the authors on the list is Octavia Butler, I highly recommend both Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents.

Rats, I also forgot two of of my favorites: Random Acts of Senseless Violence and Ready Player One. Both are disturbing and well written.

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 10:13:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2013 10:15:58 AM PST
Shirley,

I assume you've read "The Hunger Games"? If you liked that series, try The Maze Runner.
[Edited to add -- for some reason, it looks like the Kindle version is not currently orderable. I read the series a year ago.]

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 9:00:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2013 9:05:12 PM PST
i'm sure you've checked out a lot of these already, but obviously the more popular ones are 1984, brave new world, a clockwork orange. anything by philip k dick is really cool usually, isaac asimov to a lesser extent has some cool stuff, if you want really dense dystopian fiction, check out ayn rand's books, particularly atlas shrugged.

though not dystopian novels, 2 important reads relating to many dystopian themes are the communist manifesto by karl marx, and simulacra and simulation by jean baudrillard

this might sound funny, but one of the best dystopian novels i've ever read is called the long walk, its a stephen king book, published under a pseudonym, hands down my favorite thing that he ever wrote.

quick fact, the first "dystopian" novel is called utopia, by thomas more, who was actually executed later on for his political beliefs, ironic?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 9:08:19 PM PST
any book by john maynard keynes

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 6:05:44 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
"this might sound funny, but one of the best dystopian novels i've ever read is called the long walk, its a stephen king book, published under a pseudonym, hands down my favorite thing that he ever wrote."

I was going to suggest that - I just started reading it last night.. I recently bought the four book collection of Richard Bachman books to read Rage, and ended up wanting to read The Long Walk first..

The Long Walk

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 7:47:27 AM PST
Capricorn1 says:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Great listings!

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 11:37:55 AM PST
False Dawn

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 3:41:58 PM PST
Dead Girls and Crimson Rain

Both are good dystopian stories. The dead girls, dead boys, dead things trilogy is not for the faint of heart. As for Crimson Rain it has potential but the author has yet to finish the series, it is just the first novel of who knows how many. Enjoy

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 6:41:29 PM PST
NY Writer says:
The SIN of Addison Hall. Reminds me of 1984 and Brave New World.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2013 6:50:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2013 6:50:58 PM PST
I read SIN of Addison Hall. It is good but it is dark.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 6:06:17 AM PST
Capricorn1 says:
Again, thank you for the recommendations! I snagged Sin of Addison Hall. I like dark dystopian stuff. :)

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 11:31:56 AM PST
Has anyone mentioned WE by Zamyatin? It was the forerunner to the genre and Orwell's inspiration for 1984. I would include The Handmaid's Tale Fahrenheit 451 and Sin of Addison Hall as my more recent favs..

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 11:48:19 AM PST
The Handmaid's Tale was pretty depressing.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 11:49:44 AM PST
R. Grable says:
I loved Handmaid's Tale. I have never read WE; I'm ashamed to say I never heard of it until I now. Fahrenheit 451 was to cliche for me. 1984 was my favorite dytopian novel of all time; I have read it at least 10x. I have to pick up Sin of Addison Hall. It has a lot of good reviews.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 12:04:57 PM PST
Capricorn1 says:
Handmaid's Tale sounds interesting- I'll pick that one up. I don't mind depressing dystopia. I loved Fahrenheit 451 and 1984. I haven't read this one, but just discovered that the movie Soylent Green was adapted from the novel "Make Room! Make Room!", by Harry Harrison, which won the Nebula Award for Best Dramatic Presentation and the Saturn Award for Best Science Fiction Film in 1973.

(Okay so I date myself.... ha!)

I found WE in pdf format and Handmaid's Tale in .doc (not the finest format but still free).

Thank you again for the recommendations!

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 1:38:21 PM PST
Universe Horribilis (Third Flatiron Anthologies)

This is a new anthology about a cruel, hostile or uncaring universe. Clearly dystopian.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 2:44:11 PM PST
NY Writer says:
I loved the movie Soylent Green. Thanks for the information on the novel it was adapted from.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 3:52:36 PM PST
Wir says:
It's quite possible you've already read them, but 1984 and Brave New World are at the top of the canonical list for Dytopian fiction. Some other recommendations might be: Neuromancer (Gibson's first and best in my opinion), Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep (Phillip K. Dick, eventually turned into Blade Runner). Embassytown, by China Mieville is also meant to be quite good, but I haven't read it -- it's also not exactly straight dystopia.

If you're feeling adventuous, I've just published a book that might fall under that designation too. It's called Consolidati. You can check out www.consolidati.net for some excerpts, or find it on Amazon.

Consolidati

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 2:31:43 PM PST
KatHart says:
More in the line of "Handmaid's Tale" and very disturbing is "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. I still can't get the images out of my mind, even though there weren't really any descriptions. As with the "Handmaid's Tale" it will stay with you.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 10:48:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2013 10:50:11 PM PST
Boing Boing has a good review of Intrusion [Paperback]Ken MacLeod
It's a PB in the UK.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Feb 8, 2013
Latest post:  Jun 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions