Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on DOTD
Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

futuristic time/space book to identify for sci fi sharpies (hope someone knows

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 29, 2012 2:36:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 29, 2012 2:39:14 PM PDT
Pat says:
To identify a book that i read a long time ago in the 80's (possibly early 90's). So, I can say 1995 at the very latest but highly unlikely.
It has to do with a future time setting, maybe even time travel. My few vague descriptions will likely be enough to a person who has read it also, so here it is.

I remember in one scene, mostly earth seeming to be a little desolate (like a wasteland), so I think it could have been a holocaust setting but not sure. In another chapter i remember the main character being in some house that seemed as if the house were immense. Still in another chapter, the main character was involved in or saw a chase possiblywith laser guns. Also, the main character I think goes into the end of time somehow by the conclusion of the book (or something resembling that). Also, I don't remember it to be a violent book. The main feeling I get was it seemed to just have an expanse of time feeling, and the sequence of adventurous events, possibly some abstract perceptions

What i remember most is probably what should be the main helper to anyone who has read many many sci fi novels. So please put more weight to this possibly identifying the book. It was, in one scene, the main character was in a large room with many other people and considered to check if he was still able to "perform". Whatever environment he was in (vague in my mind), there was no awkwardness somehow with gaining a woman to help with his choice to check this for himself. She could have been a whore but that I am not sure. I think it ended with him being unable to become erect (or some terminology meaning that). Sounds like an odd thing to remember a book by but that is the best memory.

I know this seems very general but if you can suggest ANY books that are closest to this memory (even if some of the previous descriptions I said don't seem accurate), even guessing, I would appreciate it.

Even if you have no idea, any help toward the right direction, including other resources of who else to ask. Once i look up the synopsis of a title in wikipedia, I will probably know it when I see it. Also, I am quite sure that its not "slaughterhouse five" because from my memory, i dont recall the story having topics of any known hostorical real world events, as in WWII or anything german. I hope that this message could find its way somehow to someone who has read this book or has a sharp sense of who could have written it and/or the title, and get back to me!
Thanks very much,
[If you are really curious, I invite you to forward this to as many people whom you think might be able to answer it. I've become bummed that this cool book that I have wanted to remember and I can't.]

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 10:03:04 PM PST
Pat, I suspect that you're thinking about 'A WORLD OF OF TIME' by Larry Niven. Has a scene in it like what your talking about.
Great book. Best Lem Nash

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 8:07:42 AM PST
Closest I could come to guessing this is TIME STORM by Gordon R. Dickson.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 9:58:43 PM PST
Pat says:
Thanks Lem,
I had found out a little while ago (through another source) that this is indeed it, and so thanks again for the informative confirmation on this.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 1:33:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 1:53:48 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 2:20:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 2:34:05 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
Hi Philip, Patrick was talking about "Slaughterhouse Five", which in fact is sort of about WWII and Germany, I'm sorry that you find that offensive, but poor Kurt Vonnegut probably didn't have a very clear idea why he was sitting in a POW camp in the middle of Germany surrounded by Germans who didn't have anything to do with WW II when he decided to incorporate some of his war experience into a novel. I think we can all forgive Kurt for his muddleheaded misinterpretation of actual events in his life and blame it on the fog of war, and cut Patrick some slack for accurately characterizing the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 7:33:23 AM PST
Well said, Tom.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Read fresh new science fiction stories - and help take them to the next level
10 Aug 16, 2015
Important announcement from Amazon
190 Jul 2, 2014
New Star Wars Release: The Jedi Path now available. Read the author's insider notes...
31 Sep 3, 2015
It's November 2015. What sci-fi are you reading? 10 3 hours ago
MARS 11 19 hours ago
technology 5 1 day ago
How about LitRPG (MMO-based virtual reality books)? 97 2 days ago
anyone recognize this novel? 7 7 days ago
spaceports 3 9 days ago
Spaceships 37 9 days ago
Does my movie stink?? 2 9 days ago
Ják 5 9 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Aug 29, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions