Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 24, 2013 9:19:13 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
So I was thinking about the new stars wars movies coming out and I was wondering if any of the returning characters would die, and that got me thinking a bit more on the subject.

Do you ladies and gentlemen think characters are protected too much? I'm thinking in the lines of main characters. And other than Noble sacrifices.

Do you think someone like Solo, Luke would die?

This is a reason why I can't stand comics, everyone comes back to life. For those of you who watched the Avengers (spoiler alert) Did you really think Iron Man was going to die? The lack of permadeath kills me in books too.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 12:42:16 AM PST
Harrison Ford is 70, Mark Hamill is 61 and paunchy, Carrie Fisher is 56 and looks it. "The Over-the Hill Jedis Ride Again" had better be a comedy.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 8:50:45 AM PST
"Do you ladies and gentlemen think characters are protected too much?"

Not in "The Walking Dead" -- Main characters get killed off (for good) many times! [Well, they did have Rick imagining Lori wandering around like a ghost a few times as an exception].

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 10:36:35 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
Yeah, but that's really the only exception. On a side note, do you think they would ever kill Rick in the Tv show? I was telling my brother that I could see them doing that. Rick is killed and Carl becomes the new leader, but obviously down the road, like 3 or 4 seasons(They are far behind the comics). I say they make it somewhere safe, Rick dies, fastforward to where Carl is older. Then their safe haven is attacked and Carl is forced to find shelter with another group.

And that Lori crap is annoying. The show is walking a thin line with that crap and a lot of their stupid characters and their actions. Andrea is horrible.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 8:33:25 AM PST
Yeah, I agree the Lori bit can go and is annoying. Perhaps Rick will get it someday but not for a long time. Andrea has ALWAYS been annoying. Carl is getting that creepy hard stare at everyone and everything. I'm obviously hooked. What I like best is that, for once, people don't act STUPID.

Getting back to the main subject thread, it's hard to kill off a main character in a novel since then you have to create a new character to keep things moving. From the fantasy genre, Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series does kill folks off (and then allowed some to reappear as 'ghosts' since the "Laws" of Death and Life were subsequently broken). Does the movie "Wrath of Khan" count?

The only recent example in a novel that I can think of is Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) (Silo Saga)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 3:33:14 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
Yeah I read Wool, and the walking dead is the only show i watch. The only show in like a decade that I feel I have to be in front of the tv to watch. But some people act stupid in the show, Lori did, Andrea did now. Carl was an imbecile in season two. Glenn just needs to shut up and be glad he has the hottest woman left in the world now.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 3:36:09 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire has main character deaths. Fans complain about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 3:38:02 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
Yeah I hear about that too. Sean Beans character.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 6:09:43 AM PST
"Not in "The Walking Dead" -- Main characters get killed off (for good) many times!"

well, you can't really kill a zombie, on the count that they're dead already :)

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 8:40:07 AM PST
Killing off main characters for real is so unusual, TV Tropes has an entire section about it, called, not surprising, "Killed Off For Real".

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KilledOffForReal

"Where a major character is killed, and is not restored by a Reset Button, or the death was not All Just a Dream, or any of the other resurrection plot devices.

This can be used as vengeance against a recalcitrant actor or just a dramatic way of writing off a departing one (see McLeaned), especially on soaps such as Coronation Street or Days of Our Lives. Often reinforced by having it done in a spectacularly over the top way just to make sure that everyone understands this character is not coming back. Another cause is the actor dying, leading to The Character Died with Him.

This is still, of course, no guarantee against a far-in-the-future Back from the Dead, because nothing is. Even establishing that the character is Deader Than Dead.

Of course, if this happens in the Grand Finale, then yeah. They're dead. For good. Unless they aren't.

May lead into Personal Effects Reveal, Meaningful Funeral, To Absent Friends, and Dead Guy Junior. See also Tonight Someone Dies, Not So Small Role, Really Dead Montage. The Video Game version would be Final Death.

Contrast 'Disney Death', 'Death Is Cheap.'

This trope originates in real life, where most deaths are generally irreversible."

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 2:19:56 PM PST
James V.

Right. As in Charlie Sheen!

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 3:53:57 PM PST
Then there's Bobby Ewing, whose death--and the whole previous season of Dallas, had just been a dream!

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 4:05:31 PM PST
Larry Kelley says:
This is sort of along the same lines--like many I read a lot of series in books--mysteries, SF, etc. What really irritates me is when an author, for no good reason, kills off a main or favorite character. I always believe that they do that because they have run out of creative story lines, so they kill off someone. I will never forgive Larry McMurtrey for killing off the little girl in Lonesome Dove (the book)--the one who was extremely poor, and hunted rabbits, whatever, by throwing rocks at them. I think Blue Duck killed her. She was one of the most interesting (to me) minor characters in the novel--and he creates her, then kills her, the ratfink!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 4:44:00 PM PST
Hmm, you may want to avoid "To Live and Die in L.A." ...

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 10:58:41 PM PST
Then there's always Grave of the Fireflies.

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 9:44:15 AM PST
I once read a novel (Slate?) where 3/4 of the way through the protagonist gets killed and his brother continues with the story!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 5:37:26 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
Aww man, don't get me started on that sad little anime.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 6:34:41 PM PST
By Nathan Aldyne/Michael McDowell, not the anime.

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 9:02:40 PM PST
I've never watched it. A review brought me to tears, and a year later, a plot synopsis did it again. There is no way in hell I'm going to watch the actual anime.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Feb 24, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions