Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

On-The-Horizon Technology

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 12, 2011 8:21:58 AM PST
I've long suspected that burgeoning artificial electromagnetic fields around us are disturbing brain patterns. This article is a year old, but still relevant. Society may not be grappling now with many more murderers and thieves than normal. But I've noticed an uptick in liars and cheaters who have absolutely no remorse.

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20100229220339data_trunc_sys.shtml

MAGNETIC FIELD CAN ALTER MORAL JUDGEMENTS
MIT neuroscientists have shown that people's moral judgements can be altered by disrupting the right temporo-parietal junction (TPJ) of the brain.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2011 8:38:58 AM PST
M. Helsdon says:
"MIT neuroscientists have shown that people's moral judgements can be altered by disrupting the right temporo-parietal junction (TPJ) of the brain."

...With very directed stimulation using a sophisticated functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) brain scan.

This isn't the same as walking through the very weak "artificial electromagnetic fields" that surround us on a day-to-day basis.

What the study really shows is the importance and function of the right temporo-parietal junction which is an area of the brain that develops relatively late into adolescence and into the 20s. It's the area that is active when we think about other people's intentions, thoughts and beliefs.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2011 10:42:08 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
"But I've noticed an uptick in liars and cheaters who have absolutely no remorse."

The irony, oh gasp, THE IRONY! LOL.

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 1:23:31 PM PST
It looks like the 'car-pod' of the future has arrived. See ->
http://translogic.aolautos.com/2011/02/07/translogic-41-ces-2011-gm-en-v/?icid=maing|main5|dl7|sec1_lnk3|43806

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2011 11:40:16 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
They look kinda fun, maybe. But not much use for shopping, eh?

So that's one more thing you'd still need a car for, besides long distance travel.

Posted on Feb 15, 2011 7:33:16 AM PST
http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/02/spray-on-solar-panels-using-cigs.html#

SPRAY ON SOLAR PANELS USING CIGS NANO-CRYSTALS
("... photovoltaic devices were fabricated by spray-coating an ink of copper indium diselenide nanocrystals as the light-absorbing layer.")

Posted on Feb 15, 2011 7:33:28 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 15, 2011 7:33:47 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2011 8:34:29 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
(I've mentioned this before, but the # hash mark at the end of a URL only has meaning if followed by something. You could leave it off and save yourself typing an extra keystroke!)

(snicker)

Posted on Feb 16, 2011 7:51:01 AM PST
http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20110115211148data_trunc_sys.shtml

ELECTROMAGNETIC PULSE USED TO DETONATE IEDS IN OVERSEAS BATTLEFIELDS AND ROADS

Posted on Feb 19, 2011 1:22:31 PM PST
http://www.physorg.com/news170426405.html

CANADIAN SCIENTIST VOWS TO REVERSE ENGINEER A DINOSAUR FROM A CHICKEN

(Success or failure, I vote they name it "Ronald".)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2011 4:15:53 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
There was a political cartoon back in the 80s (I want to say it was Doonesbury, but I'm not 100% sure) in which the characters were discussing a name for a pterodactyl and one of them suggested "Ron". So there is precedent! :D

(A friend cut it out of the paper and gave it to me; I had it on the kitchen wall in my apartment for years. May actually still have it somewhere back home, now that I think of it...)

Anyway, I think you're much closer to a dinosaur yourself, both in terms of age and your fossilized brain & ways of thinking. And if you're suggesting I'm a "chicken", well... please point out exactly what you think it is that I'm afraid of. And when it comes to nasty old birds...

Posted on Feb 20, 2011 8:32:19 PM PST
what about tesla particle beams how close are we?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2011 1:45:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2011 1:46:29 AM PST
M. Helsdon says:
Philip,

"what about tesla particle beams how close are we?"

Tesla's particle gun was intended to fire molten mercury or tungsten accelerated by electrostatic repulsion, but relied upon some sort of gas seal at the nozzle to allow the particles to leave the vacuum tube but prevent air from entering - which would have stopped it working. Whilst this *might* be possible (perhaps) using a plasma window, it is unlikely this would keep air out for long, and it would interact with the fired particles. So it's a curious idea but not actually practical, and although Tesla talked about it a great deal, he never built such a device and there are no original schematics though people have tried to draw devices based on his verbal descriptions. It's effectively become part of conspiracy theory folk lore.

Real particle beam weapons fire atoms or electrons and are at the experimental stage; research has been going on since the 1950s.

Posted on Feb 21, 2011 8:00:32 AM PST
MH,

But, a 1-use weapon could still be useful. They used 1-use weapons against the aliens in Footfall.

I, for one, wouldn't like molten mercury fired at me!

Posted on Feb 21, 2011 8:07:56 AM PST
One ignored aspect of Space Travel (except for Sailor's speculations) is Space Cuisine.

http://www.spacefuture.com/journal/journal.cgi?art=2010.09.09.cooked_in_space

WHY NASA NEVER COOKED IN SPACE

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2011 8:20:39 AM PST
M. Helsdon says:
Bob,

"But, a 1-use weapon could still be useful. They used 1-use weapons against the aliens in Footfall."

It would be a very small particle of mercury.

Unfortunately Tesla's claims of a defensive weapon capable of shooting down aircraft simply doesn't add up with his descriptions. A one-use vacuum tube wouldn't be much use because in breaking the end of the tube (even if of very thin glass) the fired particle would lose almost all of its velocity. It would be cheaper to employ a conventional gun.

The sad fact is, that genius though he was, Tesla often made announcements that simply didn't add up, and suffered increasingly severe mental problems as he failed to finance and develop his dreams.

Posted on Feb 21, 2011 10:58:12 AM PST
When I was writing _Anzu_, I surprised myself with how much attention I paid to what she ate.* But she was eating in full spin-generated artificial gravity, so I didn't have to consider problems (and opportunities!) of weightlessness.

I suspect that microgravity cuisine will make full use of what is being called "molecular gastronomy," for all that I'm not fond of that term. The experience will be so utterly unlike Earthly dining that why not use alginates and liquid nitrogen and lasers and all the rest?

* Perhaps because I couldn't spend much attention on what she was wearing. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2011 11:01:56 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
(Sorry, Sailor, but this is one of Marilyn's pure science threads. You shouldn't discuss science fiction writing here. LOL.)

(Nice work with the prurience ploy. I take it "she" was undressed most of the time?)

Posted on Feb 22, 2011 7:03:03 AM PST
Sailor -
Never mind the self-appointed discussion maven. Part of his Staff Personality Disorder "control" issues ...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/space/moon-mars/six-current-and-next-gen-space-gadgets#fbIndex1

SIX CURRENT AND NEXT-GEN SPACE GADGETS
(From the Everlasting Drill to Steering Mini-Satellites)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2011 3:00:12 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Never mind the humorless harridan, Sailor. Teh Internetz = srs bizness! LOL.

You never answered my question about "Anzu"... ???

Posted on Feb 22, 2011 5:23:52 PM PST
Yes, Anzu spent most of her Program week naked. She did wear a spacesuit at one point, and had several blinking lights glued to her skin for the Saturday night rave.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2011 6:48:47 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Kewl. :)

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 7:23:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2011 7:28:38 AM PST
http://www.technewsdaily.com/usb-universal-charger-no-more-dead-devices-2220/

A new "Powerstick" you can slip in your pocket, that can "charge" your cell phone and/or other small USB devices without searching for a wall outlet.

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 9:56:24 AM PST
BTW...who the heck is Anzu??

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 11:20:58 AM PST
Anzu James is a character in a story I wrote. She attends high school in the year 2109, in Space. It was going to be a cute, sexy little thing of less than forty thousand words that ended up sprawling into just over a hundred and twenty thousand. If I can get it properly edited (maybe even re-write it), I'll probably try to publish. Then I can be one of those people who comes onto these boards to ask everybody to read my book.

I'll try not to be too obnoxious. ^_~
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  44
Total posts:  1015
Initial post:  Jul 29, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 31, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions