Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Race To Space: Exploration, Commercial or Tourist Driven?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 2795 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 31, 2013 10:55:32 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 7, 2013 7:31:48 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2013 3:31:07 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Nah, you don't post about inflatable hotels at all. LOL

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 10:50:13 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 7, 2013 7:28:04 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2013 8:15:39 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
The skids are for the Europa landing. Remember how they stuck the super sexy Martian jetless drive (maybe it was QA propulsion) on the little shuttle craft to fly between planets in Heinlein's book of the same name? It'll be like that.

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 7:43:41 PM PDT
Here is the latest on the #3 commercial crew vendor, Sierra Nevada Corporation. They are making a mini-shuttle called the Dream Chaser.

They have only gotten to testing brakes, etc. via towing. No free flights yet.
http://www.planetary.org/blogs/jason-davis/20130815-dream-chaser-free-flights.html

Cue Marilyn to post about how Obama and NASA are 'throwing' millions at them, only to have no nose wheel (they are currently using a skid).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2013 1:50:31 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Gotta get me one of those. Thanks for the link, Bob! :)

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 6:34:04 AM PDT
Mars One is up to 100,000 applicants. This article has some photos of applicants and comments from them->
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389076/More-100-000-people-want-fly-Mars-2022--come-back.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

My favorite one--> "Sean Holt, 18, of Australia, says he has to go on the Mars One mission in order to escape aliens who are seeking him. He says will make all his fellow travelers tin foil hats." HaHa..didn't the conspiracy nuts tell him that Mars is where the aliens are hiding out?!

They also have t-shirts (pictured) you can buy. I checked out their merchandise on the site -- I might buy the white mug for the heck of it. It looks pretty nice-> http://www.mars-one.com/en/merchandise/coffee-mugs

Posted on Aug 10, 2013 10:27:36 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 7, 2013 7:24:05 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2013 1:52:48 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Have you done a poll of how many people are tired of your nonsense? Like in the Politics forum, for example. And you're certainly popular in the Fiction forum! LOL

Never wondered how many people have YOU on Iggy? ;)

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 9:25:34 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 7, 2013 7:22:41 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2013 7:04:51 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
I would be only too happy to go! Are you kidding, Marlyn? To become one of the first people to settle permanently on another planet?! Even if I died unexpectedly during the trip there, think how much longer than you I would be remembered in the history books! And I don't even care about SUCH CRAP! LOL

How do you spell loser? ;)

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 10:15:56 AM PDT
Maybe we should send both of you. You two could enjoy sniping at each other at close range, and the rest of us could enjoy the twenty minute delay in your (and his) snipings reaching us.

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 9:32:45 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 7, 2013 7:22:12 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2013 3:52:35 PM PDT
TO: CivWar64 (Bob)

RE: "...so we find ourselves in one compatible with intelligent life."

That sounds like either the Strong or Weak Anthropic Principle. I keep getting 'em mixed up.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2013 3:38:04 PM PDT

RE: The Hidden Reality

Thanks a lot! I've just put a copy on "hold" at my local public library.

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 6:40:04 PM PDT
Walter,

I think it was this one. I picked it up from the library to read it, so I don't have it here to check-> The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 6:34:47 PM PDT
Walter,

From the physics books I've read, there are quite a few different multiverse theories.

The many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics is one of them.

Another is that our universe is infinite wasn't in vogue, but has come back from the theory that our universe 'inflated' early on (this inflation theory is to explain the homogeneous nature of the microwave background and the universe we see) but from quantum mechanics not all parts of the universe would stop inflating simultaneously. Thus each inflating section basically blows away as it's own bubble on top of our bubble, and these have bubbles on top of them, and each is its own universe.

Another is from the many different possible configurations of string theory (I think it is 10^500) and to explain the 'fine tuned' nature of our physical constants, it posits that all of those different string configurations occur in different universes, so we find ourselves in one compatible with intelligent life. I'm not sure..this may also be the one where they posit different multi-dimensional branes, and we are on one of them, and universes come about from the collision of the branes.

If I remember right, the physicist Brian Greene has a bunch more, but I think the above are the main ones.

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 6:07:57 PM PDT
MWI is how I'm handling the question of "why isn't history changing?" in the thing I'm not writing* and which I poke fun at here:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/science%20fiction/ref=cm_cd_search_res_ti?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxWK0QNW07Z4M7&cdPage=20&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx1HN0FL7ZIIEPJ#MxSXNO86E5NGMS

* At least not for a month or so I haven't been writing it. Ah well, it's too similar in premise to copyrighted work anyway, even if everything else is different.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2013 5:11:32 PM PDT
TO: Ronald Craig

RE: "...that NASA *airbrushes* evidence..."

Well, that could be merely a generational thing. Both Mrs. Martin and I are old enough to remember when "airbrush" was an accepted term for changing, editing, or retouching a photograph. Not everybody keeps every part of their language "up to date", as it were. For example, I, myself, am constantly using the term "righteous" to mean very good, outstanding, or excellent. Now that's a term that's right out of the '60s. And, believe it or not, I also still say, "Can you dig it?" - another term from the 1960s! Okay, feel free to comment that I'm practically fossilized! (smile)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2013 4:24:57 PM PDT

RE: Brian Greene

I've read a couple of books by Brian Greene. What is the title of the book (ex. in physicist Brian Greene's book where he discusses different concepts of a multiverse) to which you're referring?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2013 4:06:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2013 5:48:16 PM PDT

RE: multiple universes

My conception of the "many worlds" interpretation of quantum mechanics, as first promulgated by Hugh Everett in 1957 [?], is that every quantum event, every choice we make causes the universe's world-line to split into difference timelines, one for each possible choice.So, I've always understood MWI as being about universes spread across time, not across space. That's why I'm somewhat surprised that some physicists are speculating about a "multiverse" that's spatially infinite. Of course, I'm not a theoretical physicist and have absolutely no pretensions of being one, but as a supposedly intelligent layman, I am surprised that spatial infinity seems to have made a comeback in some circles. I've always thought that there were very good reasons why the universe could not be spatially infinite. Well, we'll see...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2013 8:28:43 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
You've been back online but failed to answer my question, Marlyn.

So, by Arkham's Razor: a lack of evidence is usually evidence of a lack thereof. And highly suggestive of either delusion or dementia or both. :)

Posted on Jul 31, 2013 4:42:37 PM PDT
Marilyn,

1) There is no mention of ET communication in the article you post. And, since the signal was detected and recorded, the scientists could have seen if it wasn't natural and showed any sign of an intelligent signal in there instead of just noise. They detected 4 bursts lasting a few thousandths of a second. You don't think they could analyze the signal? That's exactly what the SETI at Home project does for radio signals. It's quite sophisticated in how to detect if a signal has anything in it.

2) The ACTUAL PAPER summary states the following-> "The bursts' properties indicate that they are of celestial rather than terrestrial origin. " ie. it's coming from stars. Just because they don't know EXACTLY how it was caused doesn't mean it is an intelligent signal.

Here is a better article-> http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2013/07/05/3796089.htm
"The discovery confirms the authenticity of a similar signal called the Lorimer burst, detected in 2007,..., While the exact cause of the bursts remains a mystery, they may be coming from unusual neutron stars called magnetars, says study co-author Matthew Bailes of Melbourne's Swinburne University."

Your constant arguments for ET are always of the "God of the gaps" form.

Posted on Jul 31, 2013 4:01:18 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 7, 2013 7:20:34 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2013 3:51:01 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
"I wonder if my spamming Troll Posse has any inkling how many people have them on Ignore..."

Why, do you actually have some data on this? Some actual information? Yes?

Or, as usual, are you just talking out your assumptions?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 112 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  93
Total posts:  2795
Initial post:  Jun 2, 2009
Latest post:  Aug 31, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions