Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

"Star Trek" and Real Science

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 426-450 of 511 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 17, 2012 9:04:40 AM PDT
Photoscribe and Walter -

My favorite episodes on "Enterprise" involved the Xindi and their planet-killer weapon.
http://www.startrek.com/database_article/xindi

And a few characters, like the blue guy with antennas, made appearances, who figured in Classic Star Trek episodes.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 11:47:17 AM PDT
Photoscribe says:
I remember maybe ONE halfway decent episode of "Enterprise" involved energy beings, and to be honest with you, I can't even remember the plot fully....(g)

How's THAT for inane??

It's a shame the people who produced the Trek franchise, (Berman and co.,) missed this opportunity to expand on the Andorian culture, which has NEVER been explored on any Trek show before, but alas, they were made out to be just another Romulan-like quasi-enemy....Just like the whatchamacallits on "Voyager" that looked like Klingons with matted hair... (lol)

Posted on May 18, 2012 6:54:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 6:55:11 AM PDT
Photoscribe -

"Voyager" was actually my favorite of all the series in the Star Trek universe. It had interesting and articulate characters, without sinking into the soap opera that DS9 became (my least favorite series).

"Voyager" was also notable for some truly unique episodes. They even advanced the capabilities of the holo-deck with self-aware characters created within it. And I really liked the Tom Paris character with his racing craft.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 7:21:47 AM PDT
Photoscribe says:
Marilyn Martin says:
Photoscribe -

"Voyager" was actually my favorite of all the series in the Star Trek universe. It had interesting and articulate characters, without sinking into the soap opera that DS9 became (my least favorite series).

"Voyager" was also notable for some truly unique episodes. They even advanced the capabilities of the holo-deck with self-aware characters created within it. And I really liked the Tom Paris character with his racing craft.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always thought "Voyager" was a case of underutilized possibilities. Here they were in a totally new quadrant....the writers could have done WONDERS with even the laws of physics if they had wanted to, but they didn't. They even FINALLY created an alien species that had some imagination applied to it, species 4127, was it.... that odd race that looked like they were made of fluid hula hoops.....but they decided to side with the danged BORG against them, which, if you asked me, sucked to high heaven. I dunno, Marilyn...Trek kinda lost me after a few years of DS9. I was VERY disappointed by that show, like you apparently were, and found myself being MUCH more impressed by Babylon 5, which DS9 was an obvious copy of. Voyager, like "Superman IV: The Quest For Peace", was a slight improvement over what immediately preceded it.

Posted on May 18, 2012 7:34:02 AM PDT
Photoscribe -

Yes, I loved "Babylon 5" too. It was more of a "thinking person's Sci Fi", like Classic Star Trek was. How J. Michael Straczynski managed to write most of the episodes for five seasons is mind-boggling. His characters and dialogue were almost always pitch-perfect, much like "Firefly".

Babylon 5: The Complete Seasons 1-5
Amazon also sells each season of episodes separately.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 7:58:59 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 8, 2012 7:23:44 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 4:39:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012 5:04:49 AM PDT
Mizco Llc says:
Thank you for your input Sargate The Twins.

Posted on May 20, 2012 4:58:03 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 8, 2012 7:23:44 AM PDT]

Posted on May 20, 2012 10:11:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012 10:12:44 AM PDT
Stargate The Twins -

Thanks for posting. Voyager really "advanced" the Star Trek universe in an intelligent fashion. 7of9 was post-Borg, and trying to help other Borg escapees. The ship doctor was a hologram - "Please state the nature of your emergency" when you turned him on - and even the holodeck took the advanced steps of self-aware characters.

"Stargate" was based on the Kurt Russell movie, released in 2003

Stargate (Ultimate Edition)

The idea of a stone arch as a time-travel gateway goes back to Harlan Ellison's episode in Classic Star Trek. Before that, there was reportedly a stone arch time/space-gateway discovered in the mountains of southern Arizona, that the Indians in the area had found and interacted with:

http://forteanswest.com/wordpress-mu/arizonalowfi/tag/ron-quinn/

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 3:02:07 PM PDT
http://www.npl.washington.edu/AV/altvw99.html

THE MICRO-WARP DRIVE

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2012 3:35:43 PM PDT
M. Helsdon says:
"THE MICRO-WARP DRIVE"

Sadly whilst it gets around some of the issues by making the exterior of the bubble very very tiny (whilst requiring a very much larger interior to be manufactured) the energy density required is still very very high, and, there's no way of steering the bubble as it isn't possible to look out from inside. Still, if you have the total energy output of a solar mass and can manufacture the necessary negative mass-energy (somehow) it might be possible...

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 8:46:27 AM PDT
D. Vicks says:
I liked ST:DS9 and Babylon 5 they had some really good episodes and a few clunkers.Some of the books are good to.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 10:38:31 AM PDT
Hey. check out today's Google Doodle to celebrate the 46th anniversary of Star Trek.

My favorite part was hitting the Gorn with a rock, then a stick, and then the home-made cannon!

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 1:14:48 AM PDT
D. Vicks says:
The Captain should of given the Gorn a large steak .

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 6:18:04 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
The poor Gorn had to make his own small stake.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 6:45:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2012 6:52:56 PM PDT
barbW says:
I saw a Metron the other day, so we must be making progress they approve of.

Ps: Shatner recalls standing too close to a stage prop explosion during the filming of the episode, causing tinnitus which he has suffered with to this day.

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 10:29:38 AM PDT
http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2012/09/06/physicists-quantum-teleport-photons-over-88-miles/

PHYSICISTS QUANTUM TELEPORT PHOTONS OVER 88 MILES

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 10:35:01 AM PDT
http://www.gizmag.com/warp-drive-bubble-nasa-interstellar/24392/

WARP DRIVE LOOKS MORE PROMISING THAN EVER IN RECENT NASA STUDIES
"The takeaway message is that, while practical warp drive is a long way off, serious efforts to learn more about the possibility are, on a small scale, being undertaken now."

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 12:00:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 9:30:07 AM PST
http://www.futurity.org/top-stories/tractor-beam-is-science-fiction-made-real/

TRACTOR BEAMS MADE REAL
But just on a nano-scale. For now.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 9:29:39 AM PST
http://nextbigfuture.com/2012/11/an-immersive-display-room-driven-by.html

IMMERSIVE DISPLAY ROOM DRIVEN BY A GRAPHIC SUPERCOMPUTER WITH 1.5 BILLION PIXELS FROM 416 SCREENS

Sounds like we're getting closer and closer to a Holodeck!

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 2:25:46 PM PST
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/nov/28/engineer-boldly-goes-into-a-project-to-develop-a-r/
WHY AND HOW TO DESIGN, BUILD 'STAR TREK'S' ENTERPRISE FOR REAL

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/nov/29/william-shatner-actor-attend-uss-enterprise-retire/
WILLIAM SHATNER TO ATTEND USS ENTERPRISE' RETIREMENT CEREMONY
The world's first nuclear powered aircraft carrier returned to Norfolk from its final deployment earlier this month. Saturday's inactivation will be its last public ceremony.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 9:34:14 PM PST
D. Vicks says:
ENTERPRISE had some good episodes.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 7:19:32 AM PST
Dave -

I didn't think "Enterprise" was as good as the hype. EXCEPT for the six episodes of war with the Xindi that opened the Third Season:

The Xindi [HD]

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 9:06:28 AM PST
I agree with you Dave. Like all of the Trek series, there were some good episodes and some bad ones. It took them a while to hit their stride, which I could say for some of the others in the series. I liked the T'Pol-Trip interactions, though I really felt bad for Trip. And it took a while for Archer to really start acting like a Captain instead of a wimp.

I especially liked the 2 'In a Mirror, Darkly' alternate universe episodes and opening credits-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfbsZRbwbJ4

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 2:23:48 PM PST
Photoscribe says:
I didn't think "Enterprise" was as good as the hype. EXCEPT for the six episodes of war with the Xindi that opened the Third Season:
=========================================================

Marilyn...

I'm really surprised it lasted as long as it did! DS9's longevity was always a mystery to me as well.... Deep Space 9 was an obvious lame ripoff of Babylon 5, a far superior program, and "Enterprise" was just weak from beginning to end....and that gawrsh-awful theme song didn't help it any, either!

What Trek really needed was some viable competition BESIDES just B5!

(Now where's THAT gonna come from, if Trek ever revives as a full bore franchise again....?!)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  511
Initial post:  Sep 24, 2009
Latest post:  Jul 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions