Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

lighthearted sci-fi without major character deaths or angst

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-67 of 67 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 17, 2012 4:18:02 PM PDT
Kelly says:
Harrison has some other fun SF books - trade in the spaceship for a time machine - Technicolor Time Machine - a Hollywood producer finds some crackpot scientist who made a time machine - but it works! He decides to go back and make a Viking movie with REAL Vikings.... they pay their liaison off in Jack Daniel's ......

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 4:23:15 PM PDT
Richard says:
Welcome to "modern scifi."
I agree with you. I read for the fun and adventure.

As I have said before, you cannot go wrong with Larry Niven.
His themes are action and adventure. There are several new collections of his short stories and noveletts.
Tales of Known Space, Flatlander, Crashlander, are all good collections.

While not a fan of electronic books (sorry Amazon but I was not a fan of horseless carriages either) one advantage is a large collection of "classic science fiction" for a couple of bucks. The Murray Leinster Megapack, the Science Fiction Megapack and its squeals, are all filled with science fiction stories written before SciFi was just an outlet for some poor demented authors personal angst.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 4:36:19 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
I thought all fiction was simply an outlet for poor, demented authors' personal angst?

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 10:19:36 PM PDT
It's not just fiction.

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 3:24:44 AM PDT
Journey to the Center of the Earth (Dover Thrift Editions) by Jules Verne - It turns out the subterranean world is full of dinosaurs! Who knew?
Nor Crystal Tears by Alan Dean Foster - A "first contact" story told from the aliens' point of view.
The Han Solo Adventures: Han Solo at Stars' End / Han Solo's Revenge / Han Solo and the Lost Legacy (A Del Rey book) - Here's what Han and Chewie were doing before Episode 4. Three of the earliest Star Wars novels and probably the most fun of any of them.

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 3:55:06 AM PDT
M. Slavin says:
When I want light and fun I go straight for Phule's Company (Legend books). It's like McHale's Navy in Space. Every cliche in the book, but a great mood-lifter.

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 6:40:04 PM PDT
L. S. Jansen says:
Toby Frost's Space Captain Smith (Chronicles of Isambard Smith) is great fun - he parodies everything.

If you can find them I highly recommend Brian Daley's Alacrity Fitzhugh & Hobart Floyt adventures: Requiem for a Ruler of Worlds, Fall of the White Ship Avatar & Jinx on a Terran Inheritance (for some reason Amazon does not have a link for this last one. :o(

It's a kids book but still fun: Daniel Pinkwater's Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars

Walter Jon Williams' book The Crown Jewels is an enjoyable read

Anne McCaffrey Decision at Doona

Frank Herbert The God Makers

Diane Duane Doctor's Orders (Star Trek, Book 50)

A lot of the Target Doctor Who books are highly enjoyable too.

Christopher Stasheff: The Warlock Inspite of Himself - the series is SF believe it or not. My personal favorite is Escape Velocity.

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 8:12:25 PM PDT
Kelly says:
I think it should be mentioned that the Warlock books DO have some signifcant deaths later in the series - but that is several books in.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 11:20:23 AM PDT
Mallworld It's a pretty fun read, and it makes fun of consumers, society as a whole, and what we hold dear.. I read it back in the '80's... Wish they'd republish as a Kindle selection.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 2:53:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2012 3:12:31 PM PDT
Gregory Lee says:
Try Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat stories: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_Steel_Rat

Oh, and here's another "light" series I liked: Poul Anderson'a Nicholas van Rijn stories, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poul_Anderson#Polesotechnic_League_period_of_Nicholas_van_Rijn

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 6:10:39 PM PST
I'm with you. I like having a good feeling when I finish a book. I would suggest my own books but I can't do that here. :-)

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 4:53:06 PM PST
It doesn't have spaceships it has fairies but I really loved it and it has a very light hearted kind of feel. I remember the first time I read it, it made me laugh and feel good reading it. Emma Bull War for the Oaks. I can't reread it and I can't find any other books with that good feeling.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 5:39:16 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 29, 2012 6:44:33 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 10:32:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 1:58:38 PM PST
http://samsdotpublishing.com/fifth/sixsteprecovery.htm

My (free) humorous SF short story: SIX STEP RECOVERY FOR HACKER-INVENTORS

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 12:19:03 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 23, 2012 12:52:33 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 12:44:26 PM PST
Pournelle, Niven, and some third guy's, "The Prince." A lot of fun.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 12:14:40 AM PST
Fullme7al says:
The Forever War.

Muahahah the trap is set.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
190 Jul 2, 2014
Announcement
New Star Wars Release: The Jedi Path now available. Read the author's insider notes...
28 Apr 26, 2014
SF stories that kindof-sortof are about religion? 10 7 hours ago
What was the title, time travel, dinosaur head, future self rescues past self? 4 2 days ago
Best stories about truly alien aliens? 32 2 days ago
Kindle Unlimited: Science Fiction Recommendations 10 4 days ago
Asimov: Foundation 9 5 days ago
Science Fiction You Would Like To See Made Into a Movie. 355 8 days ago
Does anyone recall the name of this vintage SF story? 2 9 days ago
Latitudes vs longitudes... 0 10 days ago
Trying to remember title of a book I read in High School (the 80's) 5 10 days ago
Does anyone recognize this story. 17 12 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  58
Total posts:  67
Initial post:  Jul 2, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions