Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Best Science Fiction Film of All Time?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 507 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 28, 2012 3:14:51 PM PST
Debbie Does the Universe.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:09:48 PM PST
sbissell3 says:
I just got a copy of The Lost World (1960/1925) that includes a copy of the 1925 Black/White Silent version. Maybe not the best of all time, but it holds up.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 5:37:14 PM PST
I liked The Day The Earth Stood Still with Michael Rennie as Klaatu. Loved his robot Gort.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 5:49:59 AM PST
W.T. says:
The Lost World (1925)

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 12:56:29 AM PDT
12 Monkees

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 7:46:13 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Sorry, but you overlooked the whole Eywa (Goddess/Mother/World) aspect. Don't forget that John Carter intervenes in conflict among indigenous species; Sully provides Na'vi with alien way to fend off *aliens* - us, by pleading with Eywa to take sides, something which is perfectly normal to us, and unthinkable to them. It is the same story only if looked at in most superficial way.

But then, perhaps Michael Plhillips was right when we wrote in Chicago Tribune that Avatar was "ideological Rorschach blot".

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 6:19:29 AM PDT
Pulpman says:
@ Dragi, I dissagree John Carter is the same story. Avatar has beautiful visuals but a lame story. It worked back in the pulp fiction days but stood out as hack writing today.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 10:38:24 AM PDT
kathy bokori says:
My thoughts exactly!

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 1:07:00 AM PDT
D. Vicks says:
Did anyone like VALIS by Phillip K.Dick?

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 11:53:32 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
I've skipped most of the posts, but I vote for 2001: A Space Odyssey. Why? Because it showed humans as expanding inwards and outwards, how space civilizations might travel the cosmos, and the near Godlike powers obtainable by intellectual beings. This was done by showing us, not telling us; no mindboggling dialogue from the "scientist", but a visual, near hallucination.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 11:44:49 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
I'm not overwhelmed by Wool, either. Now there seems to be two of us.

;)

No hate on Wool, it just never engaged in the story.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 4:51:43 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Yes, I am just finishing it. As I said, a wasted chance - the original story was quite OK.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 4:50:09 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Absolutely!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 4:49:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 4:54:01 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
LeGuin tedious, Lem unreadable? Interesting...

I read only one McDevitt (Ancient Shores), a rather mediocre novel (in the case anyone is interested, my review: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1GOL9MV45MH87/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm is here). He is quite prolific; are his other works any better?

I am just reading Wool Omnibus - a big wasted chance to write a good novel. The original story was, despite very predictable "double twist" ending, very good, but the omnibus is neither a collection of stand-alone stories nor a coherent novel. Besides, it sorely needs good editing. But, back to the original topic, I hear it has been optioned for a movie: the result cold, in capable hands, turn rather interesting.

You will probably find oldie but goodie Niven quite readable.

An author who marries actual literature with many easily readable space opera (-ish) elements is Iain M. Banks (and his a tiny bit less successful pal Ken MacLeod) - try them.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 1:24:50 PM PDT
J. Nelson says:
Oh, and I almost forgot one of my favorite SF authors, Rene Barjavel. Barjavel wrote THE ICE PEOPLE (a throwback to the lost civilization genre), THE IMMORTALS (taking place during the cold war where the secret to immortality is discovered, but what happens if it is contagious?), and RAVAGE (where the world loses all electricity -- sound familiar?) Great books, I think now mostly out of print.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 1:20:47 PM PDT
Tom,

Actually, I bought the Wool omnibus ebook (bks 1-5) when they had it on sale for $1.99 about a month ago, since it had so many great reviews, but I haven't had a chance to start it yet. I have 2 Kindle serials and other books that I'm reading right now (including your recommendation from the other thread of "Storming Intrepid"). I haven't even started my Kindle freebie for the month from my Prime membership. So many books...so little time!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 12:15:51 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
It's interesting, quite a few people have dropped by to plug the "Wool" books, but the forum regulars who've looked at the series seem to be generally unimpressed, we must be the wrong demographic or maybe the ones who like it are ashamed confess it.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 11:54:43 AM PDT
D. Vicks says:
GREG EGAN,& JG BALLARD.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 11:33:22 AM PDT
W.T. says:
McDevitt really was a recent find for me. He's good. He's often compared to Asimov and Clarke, just as you did, not only because of things you mentioned, but also because he writes with a clarity (some of his critics say over-simplicity) that leaves the focus on the story, not on stylistic concerns.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 10:56:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 11:01:22 AM PDT
J. Nelson says:
Personally, growing up my two favorites were Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke. I liked the fact they were generally optimistic about the future, and tried to remain (fairly) realistic.

I find Ursula LeGuin and Kim Stanley Robinson tedious. Lem and Heinlein unreadable.

I've read a little Peter Hamilton and liked it. Same with Alistair Reynolds.

Frank Herbert's original Dune series was fantastic; unfortunately it has been muddied by the recent attempts by the family to cash in on that author's well-justified fame.

The best SF author I'm reading right now is Jack McDevitt. He reminds me a lot of Asimov and Clarke -- hard science, optimism, mystery and very likeable characters -- the kind of folks you'd enjoy having dinner with.

I enjoy David Drake's RCN/Leary/Mundy series. (No surprise since I enjoyed Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series.)

I enjoy David Weber's Honor Harrington series. The first few novels are better than the later ones, because the intergalactic scale gets so huge, the author loses a little of what make the characters so appealing.

I recently finished Karen Thompson Walker's AGE OF MIRACLES, about the end of the world as the earth's rotation slows. Very moving and lyrical from a SF rookie.

I also finished Hugh Howey's 5 WOOL stories and an currently reading the prequel. These books have taken the UK by storm, and definitely deserve a wider US audience.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 9:06:58 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Heh, my hit rate could have been better... Actually, we completely disagree only on Lem :o)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 8:52:52 AM PDT
< Your favorite authors list will probably not include Lem, Le Guin or Banks, then, but will, say, Asimov, Kim Stanley Robinson, Herbert and perhaps Hamilton? PKD and Disch will be in the intersection set... :o) >

my supposed "un-faves" --

Lem -- true, not a fave
Le Guin -- possibly a fave, a like at least
Banks -- unknown. I think I've missed him, after my SF following days

My supposed "faves" --

Asimov -- not a fave. OK for his time (4 0's, 50's) but imo highly over rated. In spite of his scientific background, his SF seemed much more space opera than science based (which is ok,but usually people say that it is his science base that they like). Of that I liked most the "Galactic Empire" series (Pebble in the Sky, etc), but I like even more the "Black Widower" mystery stories.

Robinson -- unknown. I've read a couple of his works, long ago. Little impression remains. Checking his wikipedia article, I may have to go check a few out from the lib.

Herbert -- ok but not a fave. Liked the original Dune, felt the series rapidly declined.

Hamilton? -- other than "the thing" I have no impression of his work.

the In Betweeners:

PKD -- good concepts, don't like his style, so reading is a task

Disch -- maybe not a "fave", but have a good feeling toward his work from long ago.

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 10:42:23 AM PDT
John LaCarna says:
Metropolis
John LaCarna

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 3:04:31 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
I think Clarke was a fairly weak novelist and as time went on, he got bigger, but not better. OTH, he's probably one of the finest short story writers in English.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 10:46:04 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Interesting...

"To each one's own, of course"

Of course.

Your favorite authors list will probably not include Lem, Le Guin or Banks, then, but will, say, Asimov, Kim Stanley Robinson, Herbert and perhaps Hamilton? PKD and Disch will be in the intersection set... :o)

Back to films, I think that almost every story by that recent phenomenon, Ted Chiang, would make a nice visual work of some kind (short, animated, perhaps even one or two full features). (As would Lem's The Invincible and practically everything by Iain M. Banks.)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  263
Total posts:  507
Initial post:  Dec 23, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions