Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Recommendations for asteroid/comet/meteor swarm armagheddon books?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 15, 2012 4:28:49 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
Here is "The Last Policeman" I have it on my bookshelf, but I haven't read it yet. It's about what happens before an asteroid is supposed to hit.

I found it over at io9. Here's the review of it if you're interested.

http://io9.com/5947182/the-world-is-about-to-end-what-do-you-do?tag=book-review

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 2:58:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 3:03:20 PM PST
K. Rowley says:
"Have any of you seen any of the TV or film versions?"

There is a newer version of the movie that was made a number of years ago.. closer to the book than the old black/white one.

Day of the Triffids [Blu-ray]

The book is a great read.

The movie 28 Days Later had a lot of similar plot elements..

eta: Forgot that there was a british mini-series based on the book too -The Day of the Triffids

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 2:55:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 2:55:44 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
The movie version of "The Day of the Triffids" that I saw was entertaining, but forgettable, while the book was quite memorable. In the book, the triffids were a recently discovered plant that had been converted to a commercial crop, and after everyone became blind, they escaped from their farms and started preying on the human population. There was a suggestion that the blinding meteors were actually satellites or missiles and were intended to be used in conjunction with the triffids as part of a cold war weapon system. Quite forward looking given the date of the book's composition

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 2:25:25 PM PST
M. Helsdon says:
The Peshawar Lancers for a world where comet fragments did hit in the 19th century.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 11:34:32 AM PST
Old Rocker says:
I remember seeing the movie a couple of times on TV when broadcast TV would run Saturday movie "matinees." Its likely been 40 years since I've watched it. I've never read the book.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 11:25:58 AM PST
That reminds me. One of my regrets is that I never read "The Day of the Triffids" [reminder: everyone in the world is blinded by a beautiful green meteor shower] -- published in 1951. I think I saw one of the TV shows or films based on the novel once long ago, but I don't really remember much. I'm pretty sure in the film or TV version the Triffids arrive on the meteor shower, whereas in the book Wikipedia says that a Soviet biologist invented them and they spread all over.

I checked my library system online and there are only 2 book copies in the whole county, so I checked one out to be sent to me.

Have any of you seen any of the TV or film versions?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:54:36 PM PST
Captain says:
Thanks for the recommendation.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 12:42:44 PM PST
Cannibal Reign by Thomas Koloniar was pretty good.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 7:16:36 PM PST
Yog-Sothoth says:
One I haven't read for a LOOOONG time: "The Hermes Fall" by John BaxterThe Hermes Fall
Another one: "Shiva Descending" by Gregory Benford Shiva Descending
but wait, there's more!:
"Moonfall" Moonfall
"Thunderstrike!" Thunderstrike!
"The Hammer of God" Arthur C. Clarke The Hammer of God
"Swan Song" Robert McCammon (Apocalyptic, more like S. King's "The Stand") Swan Song
"Forge of God" Greg Bear (Alien Invasion, end-of-the-world stuff) The Forge of God

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 2:43:58 PM PST
Captain says:
Yes, I have Prime so no downside to checking it out. I read a few reviews and one said the ending is unexpected. My guess is a near miss. I'll at least watch that part.

More than halfway through Lucifer's Hammer, pretty satisfying. The fingers-on-the-red-buttons aspect is too paranoid but this was written in different times. Thanks again Tom.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 3:56:42 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
"Going to check out Melancholia now also."

If you can see if for free, do that.. I wouldn't suggest spending any money on it.. If it is something that you can't sit through (which I bet will be the case) - at least fastforward to the end and watch the last part of the movie..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 5:47:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 5:51:56 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
As Bob indicated, "Melancholia" is a hard movie to love--I'm probably pretty close to being the target market and the only thing I really enjoyed about the flick was tracking the references to "Last Year at Marienbad" and trying to figure out what, if anything they had to do with the movie.

This is another roots impact story, but very minimal: Off on a Comet [Illustrated] (Steampunk Adventures)

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 5:12:57 PM PST
Captain says:
Thanks Bob, I'll check it out. Yeah, seems the 1883 event has been more closely examined now, almost 3200 Siberian forest events at once. And Lifeforce looks good, thanks for the heads-up. On the product page the most recent review mentions that it is coming out in BluRay next year.

K. Rowley, I really liked the treatment that Deep Impact gave to the cataclysm, but want something that starts with the impacts and goes from there, the human survival aspects, sort of where Deep Impact left off. Going to check out Melancholia now also.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 4:58:13 PM PST
Captain,

One historical note. I've always been interested in meteor showers and used to belong to an amateur astronomy club. For a second (until I went to your link) I thought it might have been referencing the "Great Meteor Shower of 1833" and had mistyped the date. People thought the world was ending, which, if you look at the drawings of the time on the following link, you can see why.

Here is a nice link if you were not aware of that 1833 shower-> http://www.historylecture.org/starsfell.html

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 4:49:39 PM PST
If you like horror movies, then you could try Lifeforce

It's about a mission to explore Halley's comet, and when they get there they find an alien ship flying along in the comet's tail. When they board, they find three 'people' hibernating in the ship, whom they bring back to Earth.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 4:40:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 4:50:51 PM PST
K. Rowley...Melancholia was one of the freebies that you can stream thru Amazon Prime, so I watched it a few months ago. It was truly awful.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 4:00:22 PM PST
K. Rowley says:
"I've tried google searches but nothing comes up except the book/movie Armagheddon."

Guessing you also saw - Deep Impact

You might also take a look at Melancholia, it's an interesting take on an end-of-the-world type movie... but I would say 9 out of 10 people probably couldn't sit through it.

I second the suggestion of Lucifer's Hammer.. it's dated, but one of the best.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 1:57:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 2:04:30 PM PST
Captain says:
Thanks Tom!

Edit: just bought Lucifer's Hammer for my Kindle after I read the synopsis and saw it's exactly what I'm looking for. And here I thought I had read everything that Niven and Pournelle had collaborated on, but I was missing one of the best. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 1:45:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 1:51:23 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
probably one of the more interesting takes: The Killing Star

This is a claissic: Lucifer's Hammer

Hand's Icarus Descending sort of.

In the Days of the Comet another nonapocalyptic comet.

Initial post: Nov 25, 2012 12:55:38 PM PST
Captain says:
I was reminded of my interest in this by a new report about an 1883 event involving a comet disintegration extremely close to earth, link below.

I've tried google searches but nothing comes up except the book/movie Armagheddon. Especially interested in tales of attempted survival after the event. Yeah, I know, if it's armagheddon there's no survival but you get the idea.

Thanks in advance.

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2012/11/23/how-the-world-almost-ended/
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Nov 25, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions