In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2009 10:45:39 PM PDT
"Star Wars"

Posted on Mar 21, 2009 11:35:19 PM PDT
Event Horizon

Posted on Mar 21, 2009 11:35:26 PM PDT
Event Horizon

Posted on Mar 22, 2009 1:07:57 AM PDT
Westminister says:
I went crazy on an earlier post. But the best science-fiction of all time is *STAR WARS* hands down. For those that think it is science-fantasy are not being fair, it is both. Don't let the special effects fool you. It was also not condescending in its introduction of technology. For example, the use of the word "blaster" as a vernacular for laser gun. Also the plotting of coordinates in order to launch into light-speed, instead of just assuming its possible because its science-fiction. Not to mention that after its release the genre was single-handedly raised out of the B-movie status and gave it a universal appeal (unlike 2001).

Posted on Mar 27, 2009 6:12:59 PM PDT
Bladerunner and Alien

Posted on Mar 28, 2009 12:58:24 AM PDT
M. B. Short says:
I've skimmed through the posts, and you guys have mentioned some great films (The Thing, Alien & Aliens, Gattaca, 12 Monkeys, Wrath of Khan,...) I'd like to add two to the list; not so "sciency", but set in a speculative future. More low key than most that've been listed so far:
1) The Quiet Earth (1985, sleeper film from New Zealand; one of the most intense, gripping closing scenes that I've ever seen)
2) Deathwatch (1980, with Romy Schneider and Harvey Keitel; what would it be like to be the rare person who's dying in a world that's been almost entirely freed of disease and dying?)

Posted on Mar 28, 2009 7:35:44 AM PDT
fjafan says:
Pre 1970

Invisible Man (1933) with Claude Rains, adaptation of HG Wells. Often considered a classic horror film, but I think there's enough of a science hook to qualify. Rains' voice, Whales' humor - priceless. Best moment: Rains talk of invisible armies sweeping the world; "even the moon is frightened of me, frightened to death".

Post 1970

Alien (1979) As another poster said, left the theater exhausted and with sore stomach muscles from the tension. Giger sets, unforgettable musical effects. Best moment: the captain searching for the alien in the ducts of the ship.

Posted on Mar 28, 2009 1:57:06 PM PDT
Thalia says:
Galaxy of Terror
Alien
Serenity

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2009 2:35:06 PM PDT
Dune, the mini-series. The best in sci-fi entertainment. The movie was unremarkable, but the mini-series should be a requirement for those who are learning what sci-fi is all about.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2009 2:36:44 PM PDT
Dune, the TV mini-series, The Matrix, and the Matrix Revolutions.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2009 2:40:01 PM PDT
wendybrad says:
i'm 13 and i like alot of claasic Sci-Fi:

My favorite sci-fi's:
1950's: The Day the Earth Stood Still (51)
1960's: The Time Machine (60), One Million Years BC (66)
1970's: When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (70)
1980's: The Thing (82), Aliens (86)
Last 20 Years: The Matrix Trilogy (99-03), GMK: Giant Monsters all out Attack (01)

I would also include my favorite Fantasy and Horror films, but this is for SC-FI only.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2009 3:43:30 PM PDT
M. B. Short says:

" Deathwatch (1980, with Romy Schneider and Harvey Keitel; what would it be like to be the rare person who's dying in a world that's been almost entirely freed of disease and dying?)"

Thanks, I will look for that one. I would love this type of sci-fi/philosophical film.
Laurie

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2009 5:06:36 PM PDT
2 cents says:
>>2001 A Space Odyssey, even with Dave surviving without his helmet.

I heard they consulted with NASA about this and it checks out. For a few seconds you can make it. Or so they say. I wouldn't try it.

Posted on Mar 29, 2009 1:24:32 PM PDT
I just saw Things to Come from 1936 (for the very first time) on cable a few nights ago... it may not be the best SF film ever made, but it is a must see for everyone out there who love the genre. It covers the 'next hundred years' when it was made..and it is good. Raymund Massie (I think his name is) plays several parts. It postulates that engineers and scientists will save us from the dictators and warlords, in the end. Go rent it! It is now one of my very favorites, if only for the last few lines in the film. Thanks to everyone out there for the lists they made...

Posted on Mar 29, 2009 8:31:12 PM PDT
D. Fernandez says:
Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, The Day the Earth Stood Still (orig), Forbidden Planet, Blade Runner, Minority Report, A Clockwork Orange, 2001, Alien, Tron, Planet of the Apes (orig), Logan's Run, Donnie Darko (time-travel..close enough), and last but definately not least The Man who Fell to Earth.

Posted on Jul 7, 2009 10:10:08 PM PDT
I. M. Fisher says:
La Jetee
The Man Who Fell to Earth
Stalker
Solaris (Soviet)

Posted on Jul 7, 2009 10:21:07 PM PDT
baja says:
Can't believe no one has said Total Recall yet.

Posted on Aug 7, 2009 4:04:19 PM PDT
The Quiet Earth

Posted on Aug 18, 2009 3:44:18 AM PDT
M. Gaudet says:
Star Wars 1977 version only. No 1997, and no 2004. No Episode IV either just plain star wars.

Posted on Aug 18, 2009 8:40:41 AM PDT
In first place, Forbidden Planet.....Roddenberry ripped off nearly all of the Star Trek series from this single movie....the crew & their interrelationships & their individual characteristics (captain, doctor, engineer).....the technology (stasis fields morphed into transporters)....award winning sound track.... meaningful plot lines. In second place, Invaders from Mars....while not as slick or well done technically as Forbidden Planet, the premise of a movie in which reality and dreams are interchangeable and ultimately totally blurred, gave me nightmares for a week when I was 9 years old and still raises the hair on the back of my neck.

Posted on Aug 18, 2009 9:14:17 AM PDT
chaoslegs says:
Only one? Then it has to be Gattaca.

You have hope, oppression, and most importantly, what makes good science fiction (for me), thinking about the ethical issues of scientific advancement.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2009 9:39:10 AM PDT
C.Wallace says:
I'll cast my ballot for District 9.

Posted on Aug 18, 2009 9:42:46 AM PDT
Muzzlehatch says:
Stalker, easily

close behind:

Solaris (original)
The Falls
La Jeteé
Metropolis

Posted on Aug 18, 2009 10:00:39 AM PDT
Blade Runner for me.
Would love to see a new thread for dumbest scifi, I would nominate "Day of the Triffids".
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  263
Total posts:  507
Initial post:  Dec 23, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions