Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Best Science Fiction Film of All Time?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 507 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 20, 2009 3:40:14 PM PDT
Greg S says:
2001, Blade Runner and Alien (with Alien being the most beautifully filmed, incredibly good lighting... same goes for Blade Runner... 2 Ridley Scott gems).

Posted on Aug 20, 2009 3:49:52 PM PDT
Was glad to see that someone mentioned Invaders From Mars which is a true classic from the 50s maybe not the best ever but certainly interesting and hair raising. If you haven't seen it put it on your list.

Seems to me that Blade Runner might have come up as best more time than any other single entry that sold be followed in no particular order by Alien, the first Start Wars movie and maybe the Matrix. I would go wth Blade Runner followed by Alien.

Posted on Aug 21, 2009 7:56:30 AM PDT
The Day the Earth Stood Still & 2001.

Posted on Aug 21, 2009 1:39:56 PM PDT
The Day the Earth Stood Still..with Michael Reene..hands down my favorite. No overblown special effects or dumb plot lines..watch it everytime I can...and no I didn't go see that remake.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2009 2:41:42 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 2, 2009 12:43:43 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 21, 2009 2:51:16 PM PDT
I would have to say Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back or Aliens, or Blade Runner, or the new Star Trek XI or even Star Trek II

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2009 2:52:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 2, 2009 12:43:55 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2009 3:30:20 PM PDT
To Monsieur,

As far as Star Wars, yeah I should have been more specific on that. The titles you named are correct. As for the final Star Wars, Revenge of the Stith is correct also. I know Pans Labyrinth was a stretch as Sci-Fi and is more fantasy/war than anything but I thought the special effects were pretty darn good. I'm waiting on the Hobbit myself as I still treasure that story slightly more than the Lords of the Rings Trilogy. Del Toro's got some big shoes to fill with the Hobbit. So turning stories into movies going backwards in story seems to be all the rage. I wish they would just do it from the beginning really.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2009 3:33:05 PM PDT
Monsieur,

I love Ghost In the Shell and never tire of watching it. I actually got hooked on Ghost In The Shell after years of watching Wicked City. Ninja Scroll was pretty good also.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2009 3:26:59 PM PDT
sbissell3 says:
Just saw 'District 9' and it is going to have to be up there as a great SciFi film and there may be a sequel.

Posted on Aug 22, 2009 8:09:47 PM PDT
Shawn says:
I can't find any mention of Solaris, and has anyone here seen Happy Accidents? How about Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?

Posted on Aug 23, 2009 4:04:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2009 4:07:03 AM PDT
Rural Gal says:
P. Quijada says:

">>2001 A Space Odyssey, even with Dave surviving without his helmet.
I heard they consulted with NASA about this and it checks out. For a few seconds you can make it. Or so they say. I wouldn't try it."

In case you didn't catch the movie "Sunshine" there is a gruesome scene of what happens when you DON'T make it in a few seconds...come to think of it, Peter Hyam's fine space-western "Outland" featured similar catastrophes, gruesomely realized.

avoraciousreader says:

Hanalah: "Your head would explode!" when exposed to vacuum.

Er, where do you get this? Breathing vacuum, as they say, will do you in pretty quickly (although you probably do have those few seconds as used in the 2001 plot), but "exploding body parts" is a low budget "sci fi" misconception.

Yes, I watched Sunshine a second time with the commentary on just to see how accurate was the science, and surprisingly nearly all of it was. Anyway, the thing that does you in is the inability to breathe, so you suffocate in space before anything else. You have to keep your mouth shut and close your eyes so that any moisture present doesn't boil, you have to take a deep breath and then slowly let it out while you're exposed to space (I think a friend said that's to prevent blood vessels bursting in your lungs or something), and you have to get to an air source in about 20-30 seconds. If you do all of that, you'll be okay. The one thing they "got wrong"--which they did for the dramatic effect--was the quick freeze of the one who didn't make it. As the commentator explained, space is a vacuum: think of how slowly an insulated thermos cools off. Even after you suffocate you won't radiate your heat all at once, it'll take a while for that to happen. (But like he said, I can forgive them because it was a cool scene.) The other thing to realize is that the pressure difference in space is 1 atmosphere--your body isn't going to explode from that small of a difference.

Posted on Aug 23, 2009 8:57:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2009 10:58:00 AM PDT
CDaniels says:
A favorite movie of mine which Satire/Comedy and not so much sci-fi, is "Brazil" by Terry Gilliam. Also, I think of Star Wars not as sci-fi, but as space opera: the setting is interplanetary high-tech, but the story line has nothing scientific or technical, in contrast to Blade Runner (at what point do intelligent machines deserve empathy or rights) or even Serenity (experimentation on humans) where questions of science are more central. Even Alien and the Thing are closer to horror than true sci-fi. I'm not talking about accuracy or realism here either, just how central science is to the plot.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2009 10:54:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2009 10:56:36 AM PDT
CDaniels says:
Rural Gal, actually it was Outland (1981) that had bodies exploding in outer space!!! Where did you get the idea that Outland was realistic??? I think the exploding head probably came from the concept that a pressurized spacesuit malfunction could lead to negative pressure- so within an artificially pressurized spacesuit, a human body might explode- yuk!

Posted on Aug 23, 2009 11:25:33 AM PDT
OK I'll start by saying that I've never considered the "Alien" series of movies as anything other than horor! I know I'll get alot of flak from this, but it is my opinion! To say the "best sci-fi movie ever" is, as one other person says, objective in the time frame the movie was made. To compare Star Wars (now known as "A New Hope") with "The Day the Earth Stood Still", the new Star Trek (which I haven't seen yet! Shame on me!!) or "The Matrix" is difficult because of the advances in film, Special effects, and cgi! However, if you consider the popularity of a film over the expanse of time, if one indures through the years, decades, or centuries, it should be considered at least as a possible candidate! Therefore, with all due consideration, my vote would have to be for a film that nearly sixty years later still has a considerable fan base - "The Day the Earth Stood Still"!

Posted on Aug 23, 2009 4:48:19 PM PDT
Ben Bacon says:
For the literary genre once called "science fiction," I think the best ever was Francois Truffaut's version of Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451." For today's "graphic novel" fantasies, I have to say I liked "Ultraviolet."

Posted on Aug 23, 2009 6:47:28 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 23, 2009 6:48:15 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 23, 2009 6:53:47 PM PDT
Rural Gal says:
>Cuvtixo says:
>
>Rural Gal, actually it was Outland (1981) that had bodies exploding in outer space!!! Where did you get the idea that Outland was realistic??? I think the exploding head probably came from the concept that a pressurized spacesuit malfunction could lead to negative pressure- so within an artificially pressurized spacesuit, a human body might explode- yuk!

I didn't say bodies would explode in space, I was responding to another poster's comment on that. My contribution started with the sentence "Yes, I watched Sunshine a second time...." The rest were quotes from previous posts all related to the idea of the human body being subjected to space without the aid of a suit; being related I culled them together to respond once rather than to each separately. My apologies if that was unclear.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2009 8:08:18 PM PDT
Ben Bacon: <I think the best ever was Francois Truffaut's version of Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451.">
OMG! WTF?
This one has been, and belongs, in the "Worst all time SF Film" thread ;-). Truffaut's film of Bradbury's great novel was sheer butchery, or as Woody Allen might have said a sham of a mockery of a butchery (I'm trying to be polite here and won't say what I really think. Besides, Amazon probably has a policy against such language.) It's a perfect example of an auteur being so full of his own "genius" that he takes what should be as easy as falling off a log to turn into a great film and ruins it. It's been a long time since I've seen it, and a pretty long time since I've re-read the novel, but a few points:
-- T. spends waaay too much time taking pretty pictures of things burning that could have been spent developing bourgeois trivia like plot.
-- T. takes the one character of the Fireman and splits his two contradictory aspects into two actually different characters. This robs the film of much of the book's interest, but then T. is a genius.
-- as if to make up for this (a law of conservation of characters?) he then combines two separate characters into the one played by Julie Christie. Or is it the same actress playing two characters? Tres genius! I guess if a genius convinces a hot (in both senses of the word) actress to appear in his drivel, he's gotta make full use of her.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2009 9:27:31 PM PDT
Ben Bacon says:
Evidently you didn't like it. Fair enough, I'm not usually a fan of "art films," but my point was that this was one of the only films that tried to represent what "science fiction" was. But what about "Ultraviolet?" A much hated film. But I thought it was more honest than "Resident Evil" and its ilk in that it didn't forget it was a comic book.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2009 10:21:27 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 2, 2009 12:44:14 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2009 10:27:26 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 2, 2009 12:44:32 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 23, 2009 10:41:18 PM PDT
Since it's my fav sci fi program that I like better than any movie I am hoping that some day they make a full length movie of Doctor Who. Due to the whole time thing they could bring back an older Tom Baker and make it work!

I am pulling that out of the future to name as my fav sci fi movie.

Posted on Aug 24, 2009 12:05:43 AM PDT
TheoGrouch says:
Alien, Aliens, THX1138, Day The Earth Stood Still (original), 2001, ST2 Wrath of Khan (RIP Mr. Montalban, and I mean that with the utmost respect), Darkstar, Outland (go Sean Connery!), Godzilla (the original Japanese), the silent Metropolis.

Posted on Aug 24, 2009 6:47:09 PM PDT
R Reader says:
If I was trying to be objective - BladeRunner has it all and seems to have passes certain measure of time.

But no one is ever going to truly be able to give an objective opionion with any relevance so screw it, I'll stick to the subjective - It's a field I know well. : )

In Order of Preference

1)Chronicles of Ridick
2)Matrix
3)Blade Runner
4)Equilibrium
5)Dark City
6)Aliens
7)Star Trek (2009)
8)Contact
9)Gattaca
10)Pitch Black
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  263
Total posts:  507
Initial post:  Dec 23, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions