Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

New Science Fiction Series on TV

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 289 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 1, 2012 12:42:29 PM PDT
Capricorn1 says:
Terra Nova, Season 2 on Netflix? I'm already a Netflix customer and I would definitely watch it.

Posted on May 1, 2012 1:04:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2012 1:05:05 PM PDT
Capricorn 1 -

Thanks for responding. But the latest word is that Netflix has declined picking up "Terra Nova", probably because it is too expensive.

http://screenrant.com/netflix-terra-nova-canceled-yman-161581/

Fox is keeping everyone under contract for the moment, as they continue to shop the show. While some of the TN actors have signed up to appear in other pilots.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:17:03 AM PST
Season 3 of "Falling Skies" coming in 2013!

http://screenrant.com/falling-skies-season-3-details-spoilers/
DETAILS ABOUT SEASON 3 OF "FALLING SKIES" IN 2013

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 6:55:38 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
Amazon just announced that they will have past and future episodes of Falling Skies on AIV.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:49:29 AM PST
Old Rocker -

Very true:

http://video.tvguide.com/Shows/Falling+Skies

The first couple seasons of episodes are free. But watch them start charging for Season Finales or new seasons of shows.

Posted on May 20, 2013 11:06:53 AM PDT
The third season of "Falling Skies" starts June 9, 2013:

http://www.fallingskies.com/watch/videos
Check out the couple minute video of Season Three's premiere.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2013 11:22:03 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
They're still making that? Meh.

(Btw, you should have used a hyphen there, thus: couple-minute. Have you run through your monthly quota again? Oh well, June is just a little over a week away! LOL)

Posted on May 20, 2013 2:52:24 PM PDT
http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=25155
ODD = OBSESSIVE DEBUNKING DISORDER
"Most people find such arrogant and obnoxious debunkers and hardcore skeptics to be strangely angry and boorish, and often confrontational to the point of hysteria... Yet these 'scientifically' minded absolutists have no actual accredited scientific background, and seek entrenched orthodoxy - not exploration and wonder."

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2013 7:06:37 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
(And all that is relevant to this thread how?)

Posted on May 23, 2013 8:27:58 AM PDT
Anna-P says:
Uhm, regarding new series; any impressions to share about Defiance?

Posted on May 23, 2013 8:40:46 AM PDT
Anna-P,

It's kept me watching so far. They've had enough sub plots based on the back story of the characters to keep me mildly interested. I guess it could be worse.

And, for some reason, it reminds me of the old TV show "Bonanza".

Posted on May 23, 2013 10:13:38 AM PDT
Anna-P says:
Lol! I will have to keep an eye out for Bonanza parallels!

During pre debut publicity campaigns, I was intrigued. Many of the previous invasion series concepts never sold me on why the aliens didn't just clean our clocks. That point (among others) made me resistant to shows from Falling Skies to V. I was looking forward to the debut with anticipation. Now there is a feeling of creeping disappointment. Don't want to give up too soon. I remember a time when shows were allowed time to find their feet and develop characters. I've groused about that myself.
But after the last episode, I was trying to put my finger on what is making me feel like something is missing.

Posted on May 23, 2013 1:26:57 PM PDT
That reminds me -- they've been running the first season episodes of "Continuum" since season 2 is starting in two weeks. I never watched it originally but DVR'ed it and am watching it now and then. It's another one of these shows that starts out interesting but start going downhill with the stories.

Has anyone else watched it? It's about terrorists from the future, where corporations have a stranglehold on people. The terrorists travel to our time to keep corporations from taking over. One female cop gets time-traveled back with them. I'm getting annoyed at the techno-kid in the hidden lab on the family's farm who is the super-wiz at everything and is helping her out.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2013 11:26:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2013 11:27:20 PM PDT
EdM says:
I watched it on cable and bought the Blu-ray Disc version. I reviewed it highly, for a number of reasons, including the various grandfather paradox aspects, various puzzles including cop procedural aspects, for "Kiera", Rachel Nichols, the female lead who I thought did a fine job, for the overall scenario that continues to develop over time/the season.

Also, the grandfather paradox puzzle includes the future tech that came back originally, meeting it's grandfather or technical origins. There is moral complexity, because Kiera would like to get back to her husband and son in the future, but if the future is changed [to some unknown extent], it is presumed that she will not be able to return. Alternately, if the terrorists succeed in changing the 2012 time, their goal, that also likely prevents her from getting back to her family. So, save 2012 people or not, risk getting back to 2077 or not. Whether a return is possible technically with mostly today's tech?

Not to mention that the BD quality is very good/fine for a TV show of its type. It is so good to see the show in 1080p/24, with very few digital artifacts if any, and with high quality Lossless audio. No DVR'ed, cable origin, or even OTA broadcast audio can come close to BD lossless audio. At least to my ears and on my gear.

IMO, a show with some intelligence and complexity. But, a genre show, surely, a Sci-fi cop show. As the season continues on, more is developed about how the events of the first episode came about, how/why Kiera came back with the terrorists. Complexity builds over time. From what you describe, you have either missed a lot or not watched many episodes. Kiera is the central character, and various threads involve her and various other characters in the show, developed over time.
Continuum: Season One [Blu-ray]

About the techno-kid? No, too much of a spoiler.

Posted on May 24, 2013 10:01:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2013 10:06:22 AM PDT
The promos for "Continuum" looked great, so I watched the initial episode. As soon as it de-evolved into just another cop show with a few gadgets thrown in, I bailed. And besides, future-cop-thrown-back-to-present was done better in Time Trax:

Time Trax: The Complete First Season

I love Time Travel TV shows, but without a framework, they frequently get all tangled up in grandfather-paradoxes and changes-to-the-present.

Past shows I've enjoyed (beside Time Trax) are Terra Nova (stuck in distant Past), Sliders (jumping into parallel universes), Seven Days (gov. agent sent back 7 days to prevent a disaster), and the similar Quantum Leap (guy leaps into another body in past to prevent a disaster).

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2013 8:31:03 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Ah yes, the very best in the worst of TV scifi.

Feh.

Posted on May 28, 2013 4:21:17 PM PDT
OK, how's this for a time travel TV series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFcoGAMsQfE

Posted on May 28, 2013 4:29:39 PM PDT
Anna-P says:
RC;
Is that "Feh" to Continuum or the other time travel themed shows? I caught a glimpse when I didn' t have time to watch. Thought it might be worth a second look. Any opinions anyone want to share?

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2013 6:17:41 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Anna-P: Pretty much the whole shebang.

I also watched the Continuum pilot, and I've seen/listened to one or two episodes since (mainly because there was nothing else on and I was too lazy to put in a DVD), but it's pretty much the same ole same ole.

(I did recently see Looper and enjoyed it, probably because of the ending. And I loved "The Time Tunnel" TV show as a kid. "Somewhere in Time" is another favorite movie, and the original "Time Machine", maybe a few others. But for the most part the genre is pretty silly and bores me.)

Posted on May 28, 2013 6:43:40 PM PDT
It basically looks like this is a pretty bleak time for Sf on television. . .

Films aren't faring much better. Though there is at least a few bright spots on the horizon.

So what is the problem with television Sf? I still get a kick out of Dr. Who, but there isn't a whole lot else. Are screenwriters running out of ideas, or are shows relying too much on whizz bang CGI to keep people watching? Where are this generation's Ron Moores and J. Michael Straczynskis, or is it as executives keep saying it's the audiences who don't have the patience to let a character driven show build up a slow boil, and if that's the case then why do shows like Downton Abbey and Game of Thrones garner accolades which are both shows that take their time with the story they're telling?

Posted on May 29, 2013 6:53:37 AM PDT
"Orphan Black" has been pretty good in its first season. The actual SF content so far is rather light, except for the premise: An illegal human cloning experiment where the clones were basically released into the wild and observed. Oh, and also there's one guy with a genetically-engineered tail.

I'm expecting it to get more science-fictiony as it goes along next season (assuming there is a next season -- I don't know if anyone else is actually watching the show), but we'll see.

Posted on May 29, 2013 8:50:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2013 8:53:11 AM PDT
Sailor -
With a giant nod to Michael Crichton, it looks like an interesting idea driven mostly by CGI.

James Smith -
"So what is the problem with television Sf?"
I think the problem starts with TV Execs who aim for the lowest common denominator, and SciFi producers have to comply to get a chance. Remember, Rodenberry sold (Classic) Star Trek as "Wagon Train in space." And here's a great article by "Babylon5" creator, J. Michael Straczynski:

http://web.mit.edu/comm-forum/papers/straczynski.html
WHAT THE NETWORKS DON'T KNOW ABOUT SCIENCE FICTION
"Real characters with real lives solving technical problems" is the correct idea he pushes. (My favorite quote in this? Paraphrased, "'Lois and Clark' were in a similar situation. The producers didn't want to do 'Superman', they wanted to do 'Moonlighting in Tights'.") Basically a SciFi/Fantasy show has to get on and get good ratings, THEN the TV suits are screaming for more.

Right now, Paranormal and Horror are big on TV, at least on cable. They have pretty simplistic storylines, little or no CGI, and they are getting the ratings. Personally, I'm looking forward to "Falling Skies" starting next month.

http://screenrant.com/falling-skies-season-3-details-spoilers/
FALLING SKIES - SEASON 3 DETAILS AND SPOILERS

Posted on May 29, 2013 9:10:15 AM PDT
Is "Star Trek" (sorta) coming back to TV?

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-captain-worf-tv-show-michael-dorn/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_30196
MICHAEL DORM CONFIRMS HE'S WORKING ON A "STAR TREK: CAPTAIN WORF" TV SERIES

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2013 10:52:04 AM PDT
EdM says:
> assuming there is a next season

http://www.bbcamerica.com/orphan-black/2013/05/02/orphan-black-season-2/

Already renewed, and it's coming to BD [if interested in high quality] for those w/o BBC channel on cable here in the US. Orphan Black: Season One (Blu-ray)

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 3:52:58 PM PDT
http://www.slashfilm.com/steven-spielberg-working-with-microsoft-on-live-action-halo-tv-series/
STEVEN SPIELBERG WORKING WITH MICROSOFT ON LIVE-ACTION "HALO" TV SERIES
This will be designed as exclusive content for MS' new Xbox One

What's everyone's reaction to this? Will you go out and buy an Xbox One earlier than anticipated to get access to the "Halo" TV series? Do you like that the series will be "exclusive" to Xbox One?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  289
Initial post:  Sep 11, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions