Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

New, Upcoming Science Fiction Movies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 908 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 2, 2011 2:22:23 PM PST
Saw this in New York Magazine:
Break out the bug spray! Sony Pictures Über-producer Neal Moritz has decided that the time has come to reboot Paul Verhoeven's 1997 fascist classic Starship Troopers. He has assigned the script to screenwriters Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz, who, among other things, wrote Thor and X-Men: First Class, as well as many episodes of the TV shows Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Fringe. Of course, they also wrote Agent Cody Banks, which makes one think that Frankie Muniz could be the perfect former child star to take over the Neil Patrick Harris role.
A new Starship Troopers follows remake plans for Verhoeven's Total Recall and RoboCop. How long until his Basic Instinct and Showgirls get updated? Come to think of it, we could totally see Frankie Muniz in both of those, too.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 7:03:44 PM PST
Showgirls..blechhh!

Thor and Xmen: First Class were great, but what do you think they could do to Starship Troopers? Reduce the gore? Amp up the 'love story' part? I think I kind of like it the way it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 11:39:13 AM PST
K. Stacey says:
How about follow the plot of the book?

~K. Stacey
"A cigarette is a perfect type of perfect pleasure: it is exquiste and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more could want want?"

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 10:06:21 PM PST
John Carter
Star Wars took a lot of inspiration from those stories, including some of the very words (sith, banth[a], jed[i]). It looks like it's going to be action-packed and visually cool. People who don't know the books will probably like it, if they can be convinced it isn't ripping off all the things that ripped off the Barsoom series. We fans, well, at least it IS a John Carter movie.

Starship Troopers
Maybe the powered armor will be back?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2011 7:17:09 PM PST
R. Wilde says:
I'd love to see Starship Troopers made into a movie someday. Doogie Howser, S.S., was okay as a monster flick, but using a dozen names (more or less) hardly qualifies as adapting the book.

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 9:26:10 AM PST
http://silverscreensaucers.blogspot.com/2011/12/new-battleship-trailer-reveals-aliens.html

Just released trailer for "Battleship", due out next summer. Top name actors, in another alien-invasion movie, this time from the Navy's perspective.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 9:35:35 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Ah, yes, the board-game-to-movie adaptation that fortunately took Peter Berg away from Dune (and helped killed that project)! Perez Hilton has dubbed it "Transformers: Beach Party". LOL

DVD or movie channel fare.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2011 8:50:43 PM PST
Wayne Klein says:
I don't think that "Promtheus" is related to "Alien" except in terms of spirit and technique and Scott directed "Alien" NOT "Aliens".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2011 8:52:35 PM PST
Wayne Klein says:
Scott's "Prometheus" isn't related to "Alien" (not "Aliens"--that's Cameron).

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 9:47:14 PM PST
I have a list of movies and TV shows I would make (or rather, that I would hire people with actual talent to make) if I had the rights and a whole big old bunch of money to throw around.

And at least one of those is being made by somebody else now, so maybe some of the others will as well. Hey, some of them might even be good. It's a strange world.

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 9:06:42 AM PST
Sailor -

I'd love to see some original Sci Fi made into movies! Right now, Hollywood is on a race to the Past, remaking older Sci Fi movies (like "Total Recall").

I just saw the trailer for "MIB-III". It involves Time Travel, and Will Smith goes back into the Past to find K.

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 2:07:47 PM PST
http://silverscreensaucers.blogspot.com/2011/12/official-prometheus-poster-unveiled.html

New poster out for "Prometheus", the "Alien" prequel.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 8:08:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2011 11:11:02 AM PST
Sailor -

FYI, Amazon now has an easy way to get to their forums, even from outside Amazon, using a URL.

http://amazon.com/forum/(put name of forum here)

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 8:31:20 AM PST
2theD says:
That's weird. I just tried to look up your thread of expertise under "http://amazon.com/forum/nonsense" but it just came up with:

"We're sorry, no forum exists for nonsense."

Strange.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 11:11:50 AM PST
You probably won't find a forum for "snarky know-it-alls" either.

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 5:06:10 AM PST
2theD says:
Argh! Got me there, Marilyn!

"We're sorry, no forum exists for Ronald Craig."

Dang :p

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 6:58:54 AM PST
LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 7:48:52 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
No forum for "OLD women who might do better at knitting", either.

LOL x 2 :P

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 9:10:20 AM PST
Thanks, Marilyn. That makes things a LOT easier.

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 12:37:16 PM PST
Sailor -

My pleasure.

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 10:38:08 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
Been seeing the trailers for the new John Carter of Mars movie.. looks pretty good for a Disney flick.

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 7:59:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2011 7:59:37 AM PST
Daniel says:
It appears that Ender's Game is to be a movie (2013). Harrison Ford as Colonel Graff. Asa Butterfield as Ender. I just can't imagine how it can be done effectively.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 7:56:18 PM PST
He owns them, he can do as he chooses!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2011 3:16:26 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
(Yep. A principle we've seen in action over the past decade-plus with the Dune books. He who owns the copyright may milk the franchise! The spice, er, lucre must flow!)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2011 8:02:43 AM PST
I'm waiting for the "Spice Twinkies of Dune" myself
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  908
Initial post:  Aug 23, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 29, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions