Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

OLD CODGERS READING BACK IN TIME

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 948 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 2:12:13 PM PDT
Brenda, definitely read the Van Rijn stories. I think I saw somewhere that there was a novel but mostly they were short stories. And don't forget Ensign Flandry...one of my early heartthrobs. :) Now, I have to reread The High Crusade! I haven't read it in forever but have a vintage pb copy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 2:23:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2008 2:24:24 PM PDT
Silverberg also wrote as S.M. Tenneshaw, and with Randall Garrett as Robert Randall.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 3:46:35 PM PDT
You will love The High Crudade! My vintage copy has 60 cents on the cover. Ain't inflation wonderful? I have one Flandry that came in a book "lot" that I bought, but it's a later one "The Game of Empire" and introduces Domenic's daughter Diana. I'm putting it on the shelf until I can acquire the earlier ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 3:46:38 PM PDT
You will love The High Crudade! My vintage copy has 60 cents on the cover. Ain't inflation wonderful? I have one Flandry that came in a book "lot" that I bought, but it's a later one "The Game of Empire" and introduces Domenic's daughter Diana. I'm putting it on the shelf until I can acquire the earlier ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 3:48:42 PM PDT
Thanks! This just bring out the sleuth in me. Even more fun tracking these down.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 4:21:11 PM PDT
Tyro says:
The Shy Stegosaurus sequel was "The Shy Stegosaurus of Indian Springs." I read both of them as a kid. I believe the later book was written many years later, and had a different artist doing the b&w interior illustrations. Both long out of print now, I suppose.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2008 5:41:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2008 5:45:16 PM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
Tyro---Just finished watching "eXistenZ" and netflix has just delivered me "The Andromeda Strain" (original), "Soylent Green", and "THX-1138" DVD's. Might purchase the latter. SF bookwise I'm going to reread "Foundation Trilogy". On the lookout for more Charles Stross novels which were recommended. These are good times for escapism!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2008 8:13:57 AM PDT
Tyro says:
Dilger -- I'm sure you're right about the escapism. Hard times tend to fire the creative imagination, giving birth to many alternate universes. The original Andromeda Strain is one of my fave movies of that era, wonderfully bleak in its politics, rigorously scientific in its method. I need to order or rent a copy of "Silent Running," though, as I haven't seen it in years. It's supposed to take place in 2008!

Haven't read any Charles Stross yet, even though I have a copy of Saturn's Children on my shelf. I'll get around to it eventually; right now I'm still re-experiencing the older stuff..

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2008 9:37:09 PM PDT
This conversation of coffin-dodger SF Fans brings back many nostalgic memories. Because most of my adolescent reading was done in the 50's and most of that was science fiction, many of those memories involve Robert A. Heinlein. Several weeks ago I was browsing on amazon.com and was scrolling thru Heinlein titles, looking for something inexpensive to re-read. I bumped into 5 titles I had never seen before, tho I know that I have read all of his books.

Three of these volumes had no reviews to indicate the contents, but they were each only a few dollars so I bought them and was pleasantly surprised. Between '47 & '63 Heinlein published a series of 13 "Juveniles". These and "Starship Troopers" have been packaged into four volumes: "Four Frontiers" contains the oldest and most juvenile four novels, which I skipped this time around, and the three volumes I bought and am re-reading: "To the Stars", "Infinite Possibilities", and "Outward Bound". Heinlein's fame may have come more from his adult novels, but his Juveniles were written for me and they continue to entertain. To mis-use a Pohl title, this is the way the future was.

On this pass I came across two interesting links to future novel titles: 1) in "Between Planets" the protagonist leaves Earth in a shuttle named "Glory Road"; and 2) in "The Rolling Stones" grandma Hazel speaks before a Martian judge and declares "I am a "Stranger in a Strange Land"".

The other new Heinlein title: "Off the Main Sequence" is a collection of shorter fiction including some stories missing from earlier collections. I am planning to read back-to-back two of the finest time-travel stories ever written: "By His Bootstraps" and "---All You Zombies---".

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2008 7:28:43 AM PDT
Hi Tyro & Dilger, I have a lot of Stross, but have to say that Saturn's Children, from the description, just didn't attract my attention, Let us know what you think when you read it. I loved Halting State, Atrocity Archives and Jennifer Morgue. I started the Merchant Prince series but thought it ran off course in the third and quit. I've started Singularity Sky several times and still haven't finished it but haven't given up yet.

Vanya, most of us here got hooked on Heinlein juveniles and Lucky Starr. I still think Heinlein did his best work and most lasting service inspiring kids.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2008 7:35:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2008 7:40:28 PM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
Tyro---Just finished watching "THX-1138". Last night was "Soylent Green" and sometime before that "Andromeda Strain" (original). These are powerful movies from the early '70's. I thought it was a period of stupid disco flics and redneck movies. To think someone made movies you actually think about is disturbing. Most scifi flics these days are so two-dimensional and full of special effects. It's like they want to distract you and funnel you along some PC course. Don't irritate potential customers, is the philosophy. That seems to be Hollywood extravaganza's these days--like a Busby Berkley show. All legs and no meat.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 12:02:56 AM PDT
Hi, If somebody else hasn't replied to your question , the story is "MOUSETRAP"
by Andre Norton. Its availabe in several of her anthologies and even as a e-book at fictionwise.com. Hope this helps. Lem Nash

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2008 12:45:42 PM PDT
Tyro says:
Hi Joyce -- I won't be cracking the Stross for a while, I guess. Right now I'm reading Brian Aldiss's Billion Year Spree, an old (1974) history of science fiction. When I'm done I should probably pick up his update, Trillion Year Spree.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2008 9:33:49 AM PDT
D. Strohman says:
I am trying to get a copy of a book I read years ago, but cannot remember the title nor the author. It was about a man living in Pennsylvania that was transported back to Scotland during the dark ages and clan wars. His house and a small area around it, including his 18 wheeler truck loaded with ammonium nitrate fertilizer were also deposited there with him. He allies himself with a clan and uses his truck in a clash or two until his fuel runs out. He uses the fertilizer to make explosives. He ascends to a position of power. He learns there are others that have come from other times. He notices an MIT class ring on one man. The other travelers tend to keep it secret to avoid attacks from jealous, ambitious associates
I read this book in paperback during the late 70's or mid 80's. I would appreciate any leads. Thank you.

Posted on Apr 15, 2009 8:58:56 PM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
To Whom It May Concern----Just received a copy of Harlen Ellison's anthology "Dangerous Visions." Very good condition w/dj! 1967. A must-read for transition from classic SF to 2nd revolution. A paperback will do.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2009 12:09:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2009 12:23:28 AM PDT
I'm much younger than you guys (32), but I've been rereading a lot of the books I read as a kid and teen lately like Heinlein, Robinson, Asimov, Norton, and especially Zelazny.

So - same era, different age. :p Its not the so distant past for me, but as an author myself I find it helps a lot to bring myself back to the people that originally pushed me towards my chosen profession.

And it really is amazing the foresight so many authors had back then. Though an irony many of you may not be aware of - many of the books you are reading would not meet modern publication guidelines. Kinda crazy.

Also: D. Strohman - Not sure if this will help, but have you tried http://www.clpgh.org/books/booklists/ ? You can key word search there (like Time travel) and waaaaayyyy down on the left hand side you can search by publication date. a quick glance I took showed less than a dozen time travel books in each year from the mid sixties to the mid eighties, so it shouldn't take that long to look through. Hope you find it there!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2009 7:53:46 AM PDT
sbissell3 says:
Just finished Robert Silverberg's 'Hawksbill Station.' I'd read the short story years ago but never the novel treatment. It worked well for me, but I felt Silverberg could have made the ending more interesting. BTW, in case you haven't heard, Ray Bradbury, at the age of has written a sequel to 'Dandelion Wine' entitled 'Farewell Summer.' Bradbury is 99 this year and just keeps on ticking. Reading him makes me feel young, and I'll take anything I can get these days.

Steven

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2009 1:41:22 PM PDT
Tyro says:
I still have my old SFBC edition of same, with the dark green wrappers and Leo & Diane Dillon artwork. My fave story in it is still Philip Jose Farmer's "Riders of the Purple Wage," full of fine literary puns for the English majors among us.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2009 4:34:15 AM PDT
The 1st H. Ellison book (paperback) I bought was in the 60's titled "I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream". Dark stuff; loved it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2009 4:43:32 AM PDT
May I add..."The Mound" by a contemperary of Lovecraft, can't remember who yet (I'm old). and "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson (put Will Smith out for now).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2009 5:47:24 AM PDT
R. Larkin says:
D. Strohman,
Here are a couple of sites that can help with forgotten titles:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/185.What_s_The_Name_of_That_Book_

http://libraryasp.tamu.edu/cushing/sffrd/howsearch.asp

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Science-Fiction-Books-2157/

I posted a question on Goodreads about a year ago, and had an answer within a couple of days. Found the book on Alibris.

If you get an answer, would you post it here? The book sounds interesting!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2009 7:08:16 AM PDT
R. Larkin says:
Joyce Ronquillo,
I am also a "bow wave boomer" and am enjoying this thread immensely.

Don't need what books you need to fill in, but #'s 2 and 3 of the Grime books are available in English for mooching on Bookmooch right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2009 7:51:20 AM PDT
sbissell3 says:
Centipede Press http://www.centipedepress.com/home.html carries a lot of good old classic horror genre stuff. I'm not connected to them, just a satisfied customer.

Steven

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2009 8:42:24 AM PDT
Thanks R. Larkin, I hadn't come across Bookmooch.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2009 8:56:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2009 8:58:07 AM PDT
R. Larkin says:
Joyce, if you decide to join, let me know, and I will give you a few points to get started. I have sent and received books from all over the world for free. Some of the real oldies but goodies are still around in places like the Philippines and Australia. Also some good newer science fiction not published in the US from the UK.

My user name on BookMooch is Freecyclor.
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 38 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  146
Total posts:  948
Initial post:  Aug 2, 2008
Latest post:  May 10, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 33 customers

Search Customer Discussions