Posted on May 23, 2011 5:10:38 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 27, 2011 7:50:37 AM PDT]

Posted on May 23, 2011 6:03:43 PM PDT
Maynard G. Kerbs,

"Like crazy, man."

Nice try.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 1:40:21 PM PDT
W.Westphal says:
LOL,man,you just did it. You broke the rule.

Posted on May 24, 2011 4:09:52 PM PDT
M. Carole says:
Hey, peoples, actually check Maynard's link. He's making a joke. I thought it was funny.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 4:33:35 PM PDT
He milked it for all he could get.

See a Dobie Giilis video on Youtube. You'll meet that epitome of the the proper linguist, Maynard. Great stuff. Perhaps he's suggesting he could be an indie writer. (except it involves work)

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 5:55:10 PM PDT
WORK!?!?

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 6:03:20 PM PDT
M. Carole, you got it! That link is worth perusing. For some mysterious reason, Tuscan Whole Milk has become the Amazon equivalent of Burning Man. It beacons in every lunatic with a touch of poetry and/or satire in his or her soul. For anyone with a sense of humor and in need of a short (or long) diversion, you would do well to investigate.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 8:44:18 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
(Is it really the milk of Tuscan Raiders? And do we really want to know what's in it? ... Eew.)

Posted on May 25, 2011 7:20:11 AM PDT
M. Carole says:
Ah, I've already spent many an hour shirking and reading about Tuscan Whole Milk, 128 oz. Also Wolf T-shirts and uranium ore. I applaud anyone with mischief in their soul, yourself included.

Posted on May 25, 2011 8:25:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2011 3:18:32 PM PDT
bill yancey says:
I think you all may be missing the point. IMHO "Shameless promotion" is busting into a discussion, not adding to it, but instead shouting, "Look at my book! Look at me!" The following may be acceptable. (It isn't if you insert a product link to a book, however. I tried.)

You might get away with anything if you don't insert a product link. That may be how this is enforced.

Bill Yancey
Indie author of:
Elvis Saves
No One Lives Forvever
The Last Day
What Your Doctor Won't Tell You About Your Lower Back

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2011 11:34:53 AM PDT
The gift's perceived value is revealed by the actions of the recipient. There is a verbose minority that has obviously influenced Amazon. They will causticly challenge any mention by authors of their own books as irritating drivel; no matter how relevant or how many constraints you apply.

I hate unjust rules. "my books" - author

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2011 3:17:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 25, 2011 3:18:14 PM PDT]

Posted on May 25, 2011 3:22:32 PM PDT
I'se ignernt, thats cause

Posted on May 25, 2011 5:22:10 PM PDT
all i can see is that customers complained and the customers know best but let it not be said that telling people what they can and can not do is not good for business ether

Posted on May 25, 2011 9:02:10 PM PDT
2theD says:
If no 'shameless self-promotion' threads are allowed, then why wasn't the thread "Lunara: Seth and Chloe for .99 cents" taken down two days ago? Maybe my 'Report abuse' button is broken again. Gotta look into that.

Come on, crack that whip!

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2011 6:40:30 PM PDT
K. Bunker says:
"Most self promoters did actually add alot to discussions and forums."

For example, the addition of an incorrect spelled for "a lot."

Posted on May 27, 2011 8:18:34 PM PDT
K. Bunker,

Yeppers, you can always count on twenty or thirty self-congratulatory whines per typo or grammar error in any insignificant forum post. ie: "incorrect spelled"

Perhaps you will enjoy my essay: write my book: ignore spelling, grammar, and formatting http://www.squidoo.com/write-my-book.

Posted on May 27, 2011 8:31:27 PM PDT
2theD says:
"Most self promoters did actually add alot (sic) to discussions and forums."

Enter: rant.

In fact, they have not. In threads which talk about specific authors (James White, Eric Brown, etc) the self-promoters have nothing to offer up. In a thread with a plot suggestion, oh boy, they have the BEST novel which fits everything you're looking for- their novel (or so-called novel). They never offer up other novels alongside their own, which reflects as if they aren't very well-read individuals.

I mean, surely, if you're going to WRITE a science fiction book, then you should have READ a large number of science fiction books. Look at most of their synopses and you'll see grammar mistakes in just that one paragraph or two (BTW, please keep it short and sweet... I don't want to read a full page of a synopsis).

The most productive member of the forum are those who can actually recommend good novels that they've read, that they've been able to find through research and through previous conversations. Always recommending 1) Dune, 2) Ender's Game or 'your own very fine novel' does NOT add to discussions. When you have an encyclopedic knowledge of science fiction (like our own dear Mr. Rogers) then come back and actually ADD something to the discussions.

Exit: rant.

Posted on May 27, 2011 8:46:15 PM PDT
Mike,

There are bad ones that refuse to learn. There are also newbies that don't know better getting attacked rather than taught. They need discernment and encouragement, not twenty posts of fury.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 10:07:49 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
So we're supposed to buy their unfinished product AND teach them?

Right! LOL.

O kinder, gentler world! :P

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 1:36:35 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2011 8:03:15 PM PDT
I can't believe it. Those clowns at Amazon deleted my original post. I guess some low-level grunt, perhaps in another country and not fluent in English, thought it was an actual act of banned self-promotion, rather than a bit of humorous parody. Ah, it is my destiny to be misunderstood and oppressed!

Posted on May 30, 2011 5:10:16 AM PDT
Krebs,

I wouldn't blame Amazon, they try to be fair. I imagine there were many knee jerk hits of the "report abuse" button about your post; all performed by parochial publishing Luddites. Button pushers don't read for content but for form. Amazon's crew saw flames, looked at what appeared to be a fire, and quenched it. They are doing the same by making a separate posting area for authors.

As both an author and as a buyer of many books I've found Amazon to be very helpful. They try hard, and this IS their site. I'm always finding new tools to use. The contact I've had with support was always helpful and prompt. And no, I'm not a sock puppet.

Consider it an honor; you've had your writings (electronically) burned. Better your books eBurned than yourself burned at the stake -- but this is still the overture. The fat lady of old publishing will sing as she finally dies, later. There is an aria or two remaining in the bureaucratic age.

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 8:19:33 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 2, 2011 8:30:23 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2011 8:29:33 PM PDT
Reply to rant:

The majority of independent authors were as displeased with the impolite oafs who dropped promo bombs in discussions as you were. Most are very well-read. Many are highly educated. Mass market publication has a limit of seventh-grade reading level and anyone who's taken a university-level media communications course knows that selection of books for publication is done by the marketing team, based on what has proven sales, in what is known as the "blockbuster method." Basically, another one just like the other one. Many independent authors have had books published by those big corporate publishers and would never contract with them again.

All promotional threads were moved to the MOA forum in mid-May. We've been enjoying ourselves immensely without the disparaging remarks of people who know nothing about the publishing industry, except the hype. Yes, there are many people whose work is not professional quality, but there are also many whose work exceeds the limitations of the mass market formula, either in vocabulary, scientific knowledge, plot complexity or just new ideas. If it's not worth it to you to look for them, don't. The avant-garde of science fiction authors don't require your approval to blaze new trails that don't lead to a pittance for production of formulaic work, to the specifications of a kid with a bachelor's degree in English, called an editor.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  64
Total posts:  191
Initial post:  May 16, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions