Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

The Science Fiction Forum Heartbeat Thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 72 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:52:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 9:39:14 AM PST
Tom Rogers says:
Embassytown was an interesting read--I thought it was more of an elaboration of some AI notions, like Searle's "Chinese Room" experiment rather than linguistics. It seemed to me that rather than questioning whether or not the aliens had a language, it would have made more sense for people dealing with the aliens to challenge their intelligence or awareness. How did you like "Cloud Atlas"? I had a rather amusing experience while reading the book, at one point I noticed that the language of the narrator was more archaic and more British than an American of the time period would use, and I just blamed it on the author's laziness, ignorance or ineptitude, and then later in the book, another character starts reading the same narrative and notices the same discrepancies I had, so obviously it was either deliberate or pseudodeliberate (this would be the case if somebody pointed the anachronisms out to the author and instead of fixing the problem he threw in the observation to make someone like me think it was intentional and then I'd blame myself for not being able to figure out what it all meant).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 9:39:27 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
I thought the linguistics in Embassytown extremely suss, but never made myself sit down and think out (much less write down!) exactly why.

I really enjoyed Cloud Atlas. And I was glad I decided to read it before seeing the movie, which I also liked, because it enhanced my enjoyment of the differences in both the story and manner of presentation.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 12:48:58 PM PST
Ronald! You're ALIVE!

I just finished the first two books in the Expanse series, Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War (The Expanse). Interesting mix of horror and hard (ish) science fiction.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 3:11:15 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Yep. How're things your way? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:20:33 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
I downloaded the samples pf those two, but for some reason I can't commit to reading them both. Are they good, or real good?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:43:50 AM PST
@ Ronald: Well, I've got 100 hours of use-or-lose vacation time and a stack of books, so life is lookin' good!

@ Fullme7al: Everything's subject to taste, of course, but I rank them in the "real good" category.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:09:11 PM PST
I just finished both of those books myself. No regrets on buying them and looking forward to the third book.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 9:33:52 PM PST
I haven't read either of them also, so I just downloaded the samples too. So much good stuff to read, I can never keep up!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:52:19 PM PST
I finished The Martian last night and was very pleased. It was a bit science heavy in parts, but I struggled through.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:28:53 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
Same here. I just call it backlog disorder. Where I buy a bunch of books before I finish even one, and then I spend more time thinking about which book I want to read next, and before I know it it's time for bed.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 3:09:56 AM PST
2theD says:
You boys and your new books!
I just finished Book #102 for 2012: Bob Shaw's One Million Tomorrows (1971). Next is Book #103: Richard Cowper's Clone (1972).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:08:50 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
(Haven't started The Hydrogen Sonata yet, btw. :P)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:27:47 AM PST
Tom Rogers says:
Sorry Mike, if I missed it the first time around, I have to wait till it comes out in some ebook format--I've actually developed an allergy to something that seems to be fairly common in old books:( Very depressing given my preferred reading habits, but on the bright side there are plenty of new books. "The Martian" looks like something I should read, though I'd probably have enjoyed it more back when I was on my hard SF kick (which left office right about the same time Ford did).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 4:55:06 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
you better get on that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 7:00:59 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Started it late this afternoon, as a matter of fact. Iain Mmmmmm Banks! :)

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:06:38 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 4:41:23 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
What science fiction have you read recently, Marilyn? :)

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 10:41:03 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
(Anyone else find it odd that we never hear Marilyn discuss any of the science fiction she's been reading?)

(And yes, I realize that when dealing with a mental universe in which squid evolved on the Moon and visiting aliens communicate with one another by patterned destruction of human grain fields, "odd" can mean something very odd indeed! LOL)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 8:54:06 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
Hi Marilyn, it's still not too late for Orthodox Christmas, which is my first backstop for December 25th, after that we've got to start getting creative, eg Chinese New Year is the next big traditional exchange of gifts holiday. Many of my friends and family have been surprised to learn that I celebrate the lunar New Year, but as my old buddy Octavio said, I'm for anything that gets a day off work and involves drinking. Of course, in my case, it also involves the effort to conceal that I'm a dreadful procrastinator.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 11:34:14 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
I hear the new hip thing to do is to celebrate your half-birthday.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 12:11:56 AM PST
Today is my unbirthday

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 12:22:51 AM PST
Tom Rogers says:
I like birthday presents best.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 4:06:51 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
Next up on the list: All You Need Is Kill I'm not a big military SF fan, but it looks like my kind of book (I finally read "Armor" because so many people raved about it).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 6:33:57 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
I've heard a lot about Armor as well, and Embedded. I've read the sample of Embedded and I'm leaning toward a purchase,

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 7:53:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2013 7:54:11 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
Have we seen this before? I do have a weakness for Alien humor:

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/blog_post_media/public/ImageoftheDayEasterBunnyFacehugger.jpg

Gilbert, you're the usual suspect, have you already posted this charming tableau?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  72
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions