Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Speculative Book Covers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 19, 2013 2:41:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 3:22:17 PM PST
Greggorio! says:
Hello. I am new to this discussion board so please forgive me if this discussion has already taken place. anywho, i am asking which authors in your opinion have the best covers on their books?

I have been impressed for years by Peter F Hamilton's space opera covers, even up to the point of buying a second copy of a book i have already read. Compared to the bland covers of some of the mightiest works of fiction ever written (Jordan, George RR Martin et al) then his covers really stand out.

the only one that comes close to Hamilton in my opinion are the covers of Steven Erikson's Tales of the Fallen series.

i am interested in what you all think.

Thank you in advance.

Greggorio *grins*

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 5:11:03 PM PST
It's not the author who is responsible for the cover. It's the artist. So it's easy for an author to have a fantastic cover one book and a horrible cover the next.

Being a fan of classic pulp type fiction my favorites are Boris Vallejo and Frank Frazetta.

And if you love the cover art that much don't buy a second copy of the book. Buy a print of the cover.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 5:13:53 PM PST
OK, I'm going to show my age. I always like Frazetta's work.

Ex. Savage Pellucidar-> http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4081/4899915011_8c8231694e_z.jpg
More examples-> http://www.erbzine.com/mars/ffcore.html

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 2:57:33 PM PST
Greggorio! says:
Howdy CivWar64 - not familiar with Frazetta but i will check him out when i can. Thanks a lot. BIG.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 2:58:52 PM PST
Greggorio! says:
TJ - i like your thinking. I did not even think of buying the print of the cover. :-)
anywho the second copy is better as it is slightly taller and therefore has larger print for my old'ish eyes and like i said in my first post, the cover is stunning. i actually plan to buy all three parts of the trilogy.
Thanks again. :-)

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 6:55:55 AM PST
some authors may have influence on the cover, most will just have to accept whatever their publisher/editor chooses.
Personally I'd never buy a book for its cover, even less now that I buy mostly Kindle books where I never see the cover anyway :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 2:46:57 PM PST
Greggorio! says:
hello JT. I think that is one of the negatives of the ebook revolution. Glorious cover art was for me a massive part of science fiction when i was growing up, but with an ipad retina or Kindle Fire HD seeing the image of the cover is pretty darn close even though you can't feel the weight of the book in your hands; you can't smell the paper and you can't feel the imprint of the star wars logo on the inside of the front cover. Maybe the clever folks at Amazom.com could somehow introduce a function on the next Kindle Fire that generates the smell of fresh paper on the press of a button. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2013 12:04:17 AM PST
bleh, fresh paper. Nothing beats the smell of a 50 year old paperback novel, unless it be the smell of a 100+ year old leather bound folio :)

Yes, cover art is becoming a lost artform. It's somewhat sad, even if I never liked 95% or more of it.

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 5:42:48 AM PST
Chance says:
I've always enjoyed the cover art for Alastair Reynold's novels. I also think the covers for John Scalzi's novels are good, as well as those on Jack McDevitt's work.

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 5:17:16 PM PST
You want Gawd-Awful? Check out the pb of Kate Elliott's "Prince of Dogs."

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 3:41:17 PM PST
Greggorio! says:
*grins*

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 3:41:47 PM PST
Greggorio! says:
true, but i have an answer to that, as well!!!

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 5:23:48 AM PST
I have no problem with the way novel covers look on the latest cellphone and displays. Displays bring out the vibrancy and impact of covers much better than worn, sun-bleached print covers.

And I couldn't care less about "the smell of paper"... we need trees more than we need paper.

At any rate, it's more important to create good-looking art than worrying about the delivery medium; bad covers are bad covers, no matter how you view 'em.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 5:59:51 AM PST
There's still some great artwork being done for book and magazine covers but with some many digital releases, particularly by indies who don't have access to art departments, there some real junk as well. To some extent I DO judge a book by its cover and never get beyond the cover if it doesn't grab my interest.

Here's one SF blogger's post about this year's Hugo nomination for best professsional artist: http://sentidodelamaravilla.blogspot.com.es/2013/02/why-i-think-that-alejandro-colucci.html

My favorite cover artist was the late Kelly Freas. Many of his cover images for Astounding/Analog SF from the 50's and 60's still remain firmly fixed in my memory. You can find many examples of his classic sci-fi covers with a Google image search.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 6:55:46 AM PST
It's kind of a shame that many art-challenged authors don't seem to know about "stock photo" services. OTOH, if you're a genre author, it can be difficult finding photos that work for your book, leaving many to do bad cut-and-paste jobs and making perfectly good photo content look lousy.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 2:52:04 AM PST
Greggorio! says:
Hey, Steve!
I respect your views, obviously but to me, the smell of the paper is important, but so is the feel of the paper, the font, the colour of the paper, and especially for paperbacks I check how it is bound. I like to have plenty of glue along the spine so even for thinnest paperbacks the book does not get too many creases. I must be a bit OCD as well as I keep may books both read and unread in sandwich freezer bags so that when I get around to reading them (I have around 600 physical books in my library) they still have the glossy cover, the smell is still trapped within and the paper is still the same colour it was when I bought the book.

But hey, that is just me!

I have a kindle as well and alternate between reading on that and reading a real book.

Bye!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 2:53:02 AM PST
Greggorio! says:
Thanks, James, I will check these out!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Feb 19, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions