Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

"Star Trek" and Real Science

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 511 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2010 2:06:04 PM PDT
M. Helsdon says:
"one thing that always bugged me about star trek, was how the teleporter was capable of removing foriegn biological matter, but not when it mattered."

That's because the transporter is a plot *device*. [Pun intended.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2010 2:08:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 27, 2011 2:00:42 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2010 2:14:47 PM PDT
M. Helsdon says:
Roddenbury invented the transporter because in the first season of Star Trek there wasn't the budget to build a shuttle craft - so there had to be a cheap and easy means of moving the characters from one place to another. Of course, when you create a device like a transporter, it becomes an engine for creating stories itself...

James Blish's Spock Must Die! (Star Trek) was probably the ultimate expression of that - shame it was never used as the basis for an episode or movie...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2010 3:02:48 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 27, 2011 2:00:44 PM PDT]

Posted on Feb 21, 2011 5:32:35 AM PST
http://www.msnbc.com/id/30600749

'STAR TREK'S' WARP NOT IMPOSSIBLE

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2011 7:27:31 AM PST
M. Helsdon says:
"'STAR TREK'S' WARP NOT IMPOSSIBLE"

Just highly improbable given the energy requirement and the possibility that Hawking radiation will cause massive quantities of heat within the 'warp' bubble.

Posted on May 11, 2011 4:23:09 PM PDT
I like this one. It also has a nice photo of Spock holding a tricorder->
X Prize Foundation Offers $10 Million For a Tricorder to Diagnose Patients"
http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2011-05/x-prize-foundation-offers-10-million-tricorder-diagnose-patients

I guess if we got flip-open cell phones, then why not a tricorder? It's about time, too!

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 9:42:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2011 9:47:43 AM PDT
Photoscribe says:
'STAR TREK'S' WARP NOT IMPOSSIBLE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marilyn:

Yeah, uh-huh.... I'll believe it when I hear a conceivable theory of it!

It's going to be SOOOOO long before we conquer light-speed it won't be funny....much LESS the fantastic velocities the Trek ships can attain!!

Wake me when H.G. Wells perfects the time machine and visits our time frame....

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 9:46:56 AM PDT
Photoscribe says:
Msr. Helsdon:

The Enterprise, et. al., would have to be the size of the moon before it could warp or even IMPULSE itself out of this solar system. It would have to be the size of Jupiter to do the things it does on the shows....

Of course, it would help if "tri-lithium" really existed as well.... ;-)

Posted on May 12, 2011 9:48:58 AM PDT
Photoscribe says:
BTW, congrats on reviving this forum!!

Posted on May 12, 2011 2:39:00 PM PDT
Photoscribe,

For warp speed, I think the best theory is the one where you ride a space 'wave'. See-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive
Whether we could ever really do this is up in the air. They used this drive in Stephen Baxter's Ark which was an interesting book. [Skip the first novel, FLOOD. I found it totally boring.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 4:31:04 PM PDT
Photoscribe says:
CivWar64 (Bob) says:
Photoscribe,

For warp speed, I think the best theory is the one where you ride a space 'wave'. See-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive
Whether we could ever really do this is up in the air. They used this drive in Stephen Baxter's Ark which was an interesting book. [Skip the first novel, FLOOD. I found it totally boring.]
They covered this is in an episode of TNG once in one of the latter seasons with something called the "Soliton" wave, I think.....where something like a rippling waveform would glide through space and you would situated your craft on it to move from pt. A to pt. B. I think they ultimately lost control of it or something. They also has an ep where it was discovered that use of warp drive was actually disrupting great sectors of space in a certain quadrant of the galaxy.

So, it looks like somebody in the Federation's got to drink some coffee, wot....?

Posted on May 12, 2011 4:51:42 PM PDT
Photoscribe,

Oh yeah, I remember that episode now. I found it online->
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/New_Ground_(episode)

Soliton Wave Rider ship-> http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Soliton_wave_rider.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 7:12:49 PM PDT
Photoscribe says:
Bob:

I forgot about the Alexander/Worf subplot completely. But yeah, the soliton wave thing was pretty much as I remember it. It was sort of a "semi-failure", but worked to SOME degree, even though they cut it kinda close with the photon shot.

Fifth season TNG....a bunch of failed episodes that all seemed anticlimactic as h-e-double toothpicks. The sixth season was VASTLY superior!! I especially liked "Relics". It was about time Paramount/TNG put some imagination stretching stuff in an episode, like that Dyson Sphere!! (Talk about something ELSE that could never, ever be done....!)

So was the fourth season, now that I think of it.... ;-)

Posted on May 13, 2011 8:45:56 AM PDT
Yeah, I think all of the Star Trek series suffered from poor writing and lack of good stories at some point. I thought Star Trek: Enterprise was awful at first, but then they finally had some great episodes, and I was sorry to see it cancelled.

That reminds me...when is the next movie coming out? JJ Abrams has his 'super 8' coming out, so I guess after that. I saw a trailer for it when my son and I went to see THOR. (Great movie, BTW! Go see it!)

Talking of trailers, I also saw the following trailer in the theater. It was AWESOME in 3D. I felt like I was really on the Moon. I thought it was a trailer for Apollo 18, but actually it was a Transformers 3 trailer (go figure). I found it at http://transformers-3-movie-trailer.blogspot.com/ -- watch the one under the 'TUESDAY, DECEMBER 7, 2010' date. It is about 10 times better on a large screen in 3D. NASA could use this as a recruiting segment!

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2011 10:23:33 AM PDT
M. Helsdon says:
Bob,

"I guess if we got flip-open cell phones, then why not a tricorder? It's about time, too!"

If you want to trace cell phones to sf, then they long predate Star Trek. Heinlein's Space Cadet had a similar device... in 1948. There are other candidates around that time as well. Heinlein maintained that his 'prophecies' (cell phones, atomic weapons, etc.) weren't borne out of his imagination, but rooted in his knowledge of science and current research.

As for Tricorders, there are numerous varieties of handheld sensors, some packaged together, but, like most Star Trek tech, the capabilities of a tricorder are primarily driven and altered by the plot of a particular episode.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2011 2:44:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2011 2:52:14 AM PDT
Photoscribe says:
Bob:

Yeah, I think all of the Star Trek series suffered from poor writing and lack of good stories at some point. I thought Star Trek: Enterprise was awful at first, but then they finally had some great episodes, and I was sorry to see it cancelled.
Actually, after seeing how nowhere all the Trek spin-offs have been since the end of TNG, I'm really surprised there hasn't been a fan uprising of some sort. "Enterprise" used to irritate me for two reasons: 1) Scott Bakula was an AWFUL choice to play captain of the ship. 2) It had, hands down, the DIPPIEST theme song of any show this side of "Rules of Engagement". It was doomed from the beginning, but you're right to some degree, some of the later plotlines DID have something going for them.

I have no idea when the next movie is coming out....(I haven't seen leak one about it,) but it WOULD be nice if they had some of the same flavor the original series had in this new reboot. They don't. A spiteful Spock? A smartass Scotty? And the new guy playing Kirk just don't got the Shatner way, knowwhatImean? In fact, Patrick Stewart is the LAST Trek CO to have any noticeable charisma.....

Saw Thor. Kicked butt....I haven't been as impressed by a movie since "Attack of the Clones" as far as visuals are concerned. Hopkins, Hiddlestom and Hemsworth (Hurricanes Hardly Happen) were excellent in their parts, especially Hopkins! Rene Russo mad e a classy Frigga, too! AND THAT 3-D VIEW OF ASGARD!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!

What I think I liked most about this movie, aside from the great use of astronomical photography for the celestial background, was the EXCELLENT use of the 3-D effect ALL THROUGH the movie....as in every square inch! I saw "Tron: Legacy" not long ago, and was very disappointed that almost none of the real world shots were done in 3-D. Nothing like that in this film! I actually enjoyed myself!

Those admission prices STILL have to come down, though!! (Can you believe they actually ask you for the glasses back for "recycling"???)

Posted on May 14, 2011 6:08:03 AM PDT
Welcome back, Photoscribe!

I actually liked "Voyager" best of all the Star Trek series. And you're hard-pressed to find it on TV anymore.

The last I heard, Paramount and J.J.Abrams still didn't have a script for a new Star Trek movie. If I remember right, they'd ordered three scripts from different writers.

TRIVIA: Did you know that the star of "Thor" played James T. Kirk's doomed father in the reboot?

http://www.startrek.com/

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2011 8:48:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2011 8:49:25 AM PDT
Photoscribe says:
HI MARILYN!! How've ya been??

I actually liked "Voyager" the most of the post TNG spinoffs, because it was the most "TOS"-y of the lot. I never COULD get into Deep Space 9, otherwise known as the "Bad Plagiarism of Babylon 5"! And "Enterprise"...? "Enterprise" was the last nail in the coffin. Paramount was, by this time, so OBVIOUSLY treating Trek as a cash cow via knee-jerk fans that it wasn't even funny! What has burned me about the Trek franchises since 3rd year TNG is the lack of imagination the production people have shown in the stories, (TOS writers and producers showed a LOT more inspiration with story ideas and creatures,) where just about every alien race was humanoid, and generally looked like variations on Bajorans or some other minimum effort race. Pathetic.

About Thor playing Kirk's dad.... Really? How old IS the guy??

Anyway...glad to be back, and I see that the same old people are voting on posts here.... ;-)

Posted on May 14, 2011 9:44:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2011 9:44:57 AM PDT
Hi Photoscribe!

I meant the reboot movie, the Star Trek "prequel" that came out a few years ago. It opened with James Kirk's young father at the helm of a ship under attack, as his wife (pregnant with James) was evacuated. That's the guy that plays Thor.

Yeah, the cyber-parasites are still around. For a laugh, go to the upper right of this page and open "What Are Customer Discussions?" Scroll down to what you are NOT supposed to post - and compare it to what the cyber-parasites get away with all the time.

Posted on May 14, 2011 11:54:51 AM PDT
The only distraction about Thor was that I kept thinking the guy looked too much like Brad Pitt!

Wasn't Doctor Strange always in the back of the old Thor comics in the 60s? I used to love him. Marilyn, I would think that a Dr. Strange movie would be right up your alley! You should lobby for one. Remember the old, by now very dated, 1978 TV movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFCL0eCjnsA)?

PS...I never liked Deep Space Nine either.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2011 12:00:35 PM PDT
Photoscribe says:
Marilyn:

I meant the reboot movie, the Star Trek "prequel" that came out a few years ago. It opened with James Kirk's young father at the helm of a ship under attack, as his wife (pregnant with James) was evacuated. That's the guy that plays Thor.

I know! Chris Hemsworth, right? He's got to be older than I perceived him to be then. How old?
=============================================================
Yeah, the cyber-parasites are still around. For a laugh, go to the upper right of this page and open "What Are Customer Discussions?" Scroll down to what you are NOT supposed to post - and compare it to what the cyber-parasites get away with all the time.

Yep... And I see a certain person has broken just about every rule there! I also notice that that person doesn't seem to be here anymore.

HALLELUJAH!!! :-d

Posted on May 14, 2011 12:09:42 PM PDT
I searched online, and here is the latest on Star Trek 2012. It will come out June 19, 2012.
See-> http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/5/6/jj-abrams-to-focus-on-star-trek-2-after-super-8-is-released.html

Damon Lindelof is working on the script. He wrote the most number of episodes of "Lost". BOOOO. Oh please please do NOT be like "Lost" or I will hurl stuff at the screen.

They had a trailer for "Super 8" before Thor. I wasn't impressed -> http://www.super8-movie.com/?gclid=CJa4_J-R6KgCFUXe4AodKTNqBw#

Any speculations on what the script for Star Trek 2012 might be?

Posted on May 14, 2011 1:58:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2011 1:58:56 PM PDT
Photoscribe -

Oh, cyber-scum craig is still around. He's busy chasing me from forum to forum these days, to ridicule everything I write instead of making any intelligent comments on whatever discussion he's found me in. I left him sputtering with mock indignity in the Politics forum this morning, I believe ...

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2011 3:24:05 PM PDT
Photoscribe says:
The only distraction about Thor was that I kept thinking the guy looked too much like Brad Pitt!

LOL!! What I took from it was that he was a better actor than you would have thought he'd be, but Hopkins was the one who really kicked thespian butt in the movie.

Wasn't Doctor Strange always in the back of the old Thor comics in the 60s? I used to love him. Marilyn, I would think that a Dr. Strange movie would be right up your alley! You should lobby for one. Remember the old, by now very dated, 1978 TV movie
No, Dr. Strange was in "Strange Tales". Thor was in "Journey Into Mystery". Dr, Strange, for some reason, was canceled and reinstated perhaps more than any other comic book character I can think of....and the thing is, it was well done after each resurrection! One of the most consistently well written and drawn characters in comics! Steve Ditko, Gene Colan, Frank Brunner, Marshall Rogers...as well as Roy Thomas, Chris Claremont and others, kept the comic at a nice, high level of storytelling throughout every permutation of the rag. Heaven only knows why it kept getting canceled.

And that TV movie....just saw the whole thing again, (after 30 years,) over at YouTube....MAN, was it awful!! MUCH worse than I remember it being! They completely butchered the source material: Strange was a psychiatrist and not a defrocked surgeon, no Ancient One.... just an upper-middle-aged guy, (played by the venerable John Mills,) that, frankly, looked more the part of Dr. Strange than the actor PLAYING Strange! Wong in a three piece suit....Clea as a regular earthling, coming off more like Morgan Blessing or Sara Wolfe than Clea in the comic....no Baron Mordo....no Eye of Agamoto....FEH!! And such typical seventies-style production values (mediocre music, cinematography, writing and acting,)....man, what a turkey!!

If they do do another one, it better be an improvement over the old one!! ;-)

PS...I never liked Deep Space Nine either.
Amen, brother! :-D
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  511
Initial post:  Sep 24, 2009
Latest post:  Jul 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions