Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

how to find old books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 28, 2012 4:50:13 PM PST
you might try good reads. they have a lot of books whose covers have changed over time and they show the original covers in some cases and then the new ones as well. I know because I looked up a lot of my favorite books from junior high and recognized the old covers as opposed to the new (trying to jump on the stupid popularity bandwagon of some other book) rereleased covers that they're coming out with now. you might also just try googling what you remember and use search book about .... and sometimes that might pull up something. if it doesn't pull up a site with pictures look under that same search in google images. chances are someone out there is fan who posted pics of their book collection. you can also try abebooks or alibis.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:11:59 AM PST
C. Henderson says:
THANK YOU!!! The Far Arena, WOW. It's been driving me nutz for ages. You're amazing!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:28:18 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
"Scientists in the arctic find the body of a Gladiator frozen in the ice."

The Far Arena by Richard Sapir

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 4:13:14 AM PST
C. Henderson says:
I'm trying to remember the title of a Sci-Fi book I read maybe 10 years ago, and I don't think the book was new then. It was in paperback. Here's what I can remember of the plot: Scientists in the arctic find the body of a Gladiator frozen in the ice. He is revived. His memory of who he was comes back slowly. I can't remember the author but I think it was a male. Any help out there?
Thanks.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 11:14:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 11:22:00 PM PST
I've asked for this title or author in many forums, including here, but since people are willing to help I'll try again.
Most suggestions I receive are to the Danny Dunn series, but that's not it.

This book was thick, I estimate about 400 pages. The cover was yellow/gold and had the consistency of cloth over cardboard. It was already rather old and beaten up in 1968.
The story involved a 'time radio' that allowed the young adventurers to hear a conversation from any time in the past. Set the gadget up in a specific place, tune it to the specific past moment and any conversation or other noises from that moment in time would be heard through the receiver.
They used it to hunt for pirate treasure down in the Bahamas or Florida keys. As I recall, the climax of the book was discovering a hidden cave where the pirate treasure chest was buried.
Why didn't they go back to hear the sermon on the mount? Hey, they were just kids!

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 10:52:54 PM PST
What's the scifi/fantasy element?

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 1:14:48 PM PST
I am trying to find the title of an older book. I read about 20 years ago. I remember it is about a girl with 2 brothers. The girl meets an older man who owns hotels and mentors her. The brothers want to rob him but she refuses. The older man ends up dying and leaving his hotel(s) to the girl instead of his own family and his family sues and wins. She eventually works hard, saves money and buys the hotel back. Any suggestions?

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 5:59:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2012 6:04:20 AM PDT
W.T. says:
Ironically, Amazon's listings are themselves a great resource for looking up old books. I've found many great VERY hard-to-find books here that I didn't previously know existed by looking ten or fifteen pages deep in the search results, and it's unusual to get a good price on it too. This is definitely a "buyer's market" here.

Amazon has literally become my #1 resource to not only find old books, but also to learn what's out there. It's one of the best educational tools around for old books.

An example: I learned who C. L. Moore was and became a fan in this way. I was already a fan of the sci-fi of Edmond Hamilton, so while searching on Amazon for more of his out-of-print books, I got some results for Henry Kuttner also. I learned that in addition to mysteries, he had written some space operas similar to Hamilton's stuff. So I search for Kuttner, and I get results for C. L. Moore. Reading reviews of her books, I discover that she was married to Kuttner and actually co-wrote a substantial part of his output, in addition to her solo work.

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 6:57:06 PM PDT
You should really check in at the "Old Codgers" forum. We have answers to Sci-Fi and Fantasy questions people haven't yet asked.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 8:43:27 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
"Okay, it is And Then the Town Took Off."

Fictionwise has it for under $5.. and you can get it in mobi format, so that it will work on a Kindle..

http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook72437.htm?cache

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 7:53:45 AM PDT
Okay, it is And Then the Town Took Off. I recognize the cover. My mom had the double book with the Sioux Spaceman. Now, if only my dad hadn't thrown out all her books when she died because he didn't want them. bad daddy!!! should of asked us kids if we wanted them first. but now at least I know which book to get. Thanks!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 4:59:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2012 5:02:21 PM PDT
greymouse says:
Cover images often bring back memories of the stories they went with. You might get lucky by searching through the Vintage Science Fiction Book Covers collection. If not, it's at least fun looking. They've indexed their presentation by decade. The site is here:

http://vintagesciencefictionbookcovers.tumblr.com/

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 4:48:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 7, 2012 4:52:12 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 1:23:21 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
We're starting to run out of those Gilbert, in my part of the world, "The Little Bookshop of Horrors" was the last really good old indie bookstore that catered to my interests in SF and horror and it's long gone. Even that was getting problematic towards the end, since the owner wasn't getting much new or used stock in, though it always had a good collection of indie and small press stuffs.

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 1:15:48 PM PDT
Haunting the aisles of old bookstores is always rewarding.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 1:03:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 7, 2012 1:03:52 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 12:59:32 PM PDT
rylett says:
'worldswithoutend.com' seems to be a site that specializes in old SF books.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 12:42:35 PM PDT
This is what I was going to say. This would be a great time to go to a specialized SF bookstore and talk to the owner...

Noah Mullette-Gillman
Author of Luminous and Ominous

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 6:58:15 AM PDT
Start here

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sky-Is-Falling-ebook/sim/B004TPVBBE/2/ref=pd_cp_kstore_sexpl

These are free classic sci fi. It used to be easy to find these because all of these books would have nothing but other free classics under the people also bought links. Now it's a bit harder. Look through them, download by description or just for the heck of it because they are free.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 8:29:14 PM PDT
Is this it?: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/richard-wilson/and-then-town-took-off.htm / Earthquake sends a skyscraper back in time? Sounds like Leinster's "The Runaway Skyscraper."

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 8:17:30 PM PDT
I would guess "Cities in Flight" also.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 4:33:19 PM PDT
K. Rowley says:
Doesn't ring a bell.. but as for small towns - The novels 1632, 1633, 1634 by Eric Flint has a town transported back in time... that happens also in Island in the Sea of Time by S. Stirling - a small town from new england gets transported somehow to the time of the early greeks..

There was also an old story I read recently, but don't remember the title, where there is an earthquake and a building gets sent back in time...

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 4:25:23 PM PDT
try looking at "And then the town took off."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 2:33:00 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
Hi Susan, these don't quite match, but you might look at them and see if they jog any memories:

Cities in Flight

City at World's End

[All Flesh Is Grass (Masters of Science Fiction)

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 1:33:29 PM PDT
the town taken into space: it was written before the 70s, when I read it. it was a small town, not a big city. I remember it talked about a bubble appearing overnight and the town taking off. I really didn't get that far into the book. I think it was one of the ones stolen from me at school. :(
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Oct 5, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions