Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Multiple interacting civilzations from individual POV

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2012 10:39:55 AM PST
I am looking for scifi with well fleshed out civilizations from the point of view of a protagonist who is not a "king", leader or grand poobah. An ordinary person : trader, outcast, revolutionary, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 12:05:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 12:07:41 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
Probably the three best examples of such:

Trouble on Triton: An Ambiguous Heterotopia

The Dispossessed (Hainish Cycle)

Mission of Gravity

Cherryh has done some stuffs you might want to take a look at, though in my opinion, I don't think it's quite up to the measure of the books I've suggested and Leguin has other books worth a look too.

Now that I think about it, I'll add this to the list:

China Mountain Zhang

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:50:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 8:50:59 PM PST
Brent Butler says:
Asimov's "The Gods Themselves" is excellent. He worked very hard to have an alien race that is truly alien, and not just funny looking humans. And while some of the characters are important scientists, the most important ones don't have much authority.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 3:33:18 AM PST
I've always loved Nor Crystal Tears by Alan Dean Foster. It's the story of the first contact between humanity and an insectoid race called the Thranx-- and told from a Thranx's point of view.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 7:54:14 AM PST
Chance says:
City of Pearl and the other novels of the Wess'Har Wars series by Karen Traviss may be along the lines of what you're looking. The main character is a police officer from Earth who becomes involved in a mission to another planet where she and her team encounter several alien species. Each are well fleshed out, and they certainly have little in common with humanity. The first three books of the series are quite good, but some of the themes in the later novels become a bit repetitive. The exception being the last novel.

You might also be interested in Survival, which is the first book of the Species Imperative series by Julie E. Czerneda. The protagonist of this series is, oddly enough, a biologist studying salmon on Earth. The aliens of this series are fascinating and very different from humans.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 5:20:27 PM PST
R. Wilde says:
Your mentioning the word "trader" made me immediately think of Poul Anderson's books featuring Nicholas Van Rijn.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 6:54:46 PM PST
Pretzel 973 says:
Peter F Hamilton's "void " trilogy. Or Ben Bova or Orson Scott Card
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions