Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

SCIENCE FICTION READERS' REVIEWS: Share the customer reviews you've written

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 65 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2012 4:27:21 PM PDT
I think you know the author. ^_~

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2012 5:29:27 PM PDT
Specklebang says:
Huh? I'm confused. who are you talking to and about what?

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 6:06:30 PM PDT
You said your cats could write better. So I wrote what a review of a book written by a cat might be like.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2012 7:12:08 PM PDT
Specklebang says:
Ya' fooled me! I wanted to buy the book. I'll have to talk to the cats and see if they'll go wit your plot line. *****star Sailor

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 6:03:25 PM PDT
^_^

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 2:43:14 AM PDT
Specklebang has a point, though not necessarily the point he wants to make. While some self-publishers are annoying (twenty 5-star reviews for a book not yet published always makes me suspicious!) there is nothing inherently wrong with an author's friends writing reviews if they are honest. In fact it is a logical thing to do. Unless they are stupid (and unfortunately, stupidity is common in our world), the opinion of someone's friends - or even their own mother! - is just as valid as the opinion of a serial reviewer. The problem with reviews in general is really, it boils down to their personal opinion. Unless the book is objectively bad, and plenty are, whether a reviewer rates a book highly depends on how the book resonates with them: how well it reflects their own sense of life, how it maps to their interests, and if it has anything serious to say, how much the philosophy behind the book agrees with theirs. So I wouldn't discount reviews on such a trivial basis as who wrote them unless you have direct knowledge of the character of "who". Indeed, I've read plenty of reviews by "independent" reviewers which are far worse than the book they are reviewing. "Independent" is in quotes because no reviewer is free of the prejudices mentioned.

Sorry REC, if you think I'm rabbiting on to no purpose, I'm not. That's just the groundwork :-) My point is that no reviewer is god, and while I like your idea of asking for recommendations - that might work with your friends, who share your values and are more likely to like what you like than a random person, but is less likely to work when the reviews you receive are by strangers, whose likes and dislikes could be opposite. So I recommend doing what I do: just do a Google search for "Amazon [type of fiction] hot", e.g. "Amazon technothriller hot" or "Amazon fantasy hot", whatever rocks your boat, and you will get a nice Amazon-generated list of new releases that are doing well. Of course some authors game the system, but you can screen the hot list for things that catch your eye, work out for yourself if the reviews look genuine (and worthy) not just sock-puppets, and as your last resort - read the free sample!

It is more work than asking for reviews - but I think you'll end up with a more enjoyable result.

(Sorry, no product link as I've only done a couple of sci-fi reviews and both are 3 stars. I did like Stephanie Meyer's The Host though, and anything by James P. Hogan).

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 3:16:46 AM PDT
Why Cats Paint: A Theory of Feline Aesthetics
Sorry, I know it isn't science fiction, but this recent digression into books by cats (really Specklebang, shame! ;-) ) reminded me of "Why Cats Paint". Brilliant.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 6:42:05 AM PDT
Specklebang says:
Whenever you see an author sneak a review into a thread, and you go to the book and see a few short reviews by people who have a history of one review, try downloading the book and you'll see what I mean. I've done it enough times to be able to form my opinion and it's very consistent. I have yet to find a gem. I mostly find tedious prattling in which an author espouses their philosophy through endless conversations and the books are generally lacking a modicum of movement. But that's just me - you may have discovered star treasures following up on guerilla postings. Please try reviewing one.

Thanks for the lead on the Cat Art Book. Looks like a lot of fun. My black cat has a birthday coming up in May so I'll get this for him instead of the same old catnip toys.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 6:51:23 AM PDT
The Time Entity Trilogy (Heaven's Jewel, The Eternity Stone, Futures Sown)
Four Stars
Liked it and it's Unique
I'm on the lookout for different things that aren't super mainstream. I guess I get tired of reading everything everybody else is reading. This is a really good story. I read lots of time travel books but I've never read any books that use a circle and stacked circles to explain time and alternate timelines. It's not all that complicated and that's another thing I liked. My brain didn't have to strain. The events happening in the book are unexpected with lots of little twists and turns. Some of the characters end up aging generations. I liked that. I felt like I followed them along on their adventure and I felt satisfied like a fulfilled life. I think this is a good book and I recommend it.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 10:32:56 AM PDT
I guess what I really need to do is write a book so I can review it. ^_~

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 10:59:54 AM PDT
Specklebang says:
Yeah Sailor, I hope you write that Erotic Cat Sci-Fi Fantasy Murder Mystery. I'll review it for you:

5 STARS - This is this best book I ever read in my life! Blossom is sooooo hot and a really good shot with her Glock 9MM.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 2:02:13 PM PDT
I am so pointing this out to my girlfriend. Blossom is actually her cat, so the two of us going on about how hot she is will send her into a fit of giggles.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 3:29:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2012 3:31:04 PM PDT
Galaxy Rising'Galaxy Rising is the third book in the 'Footprints in the Dust'/'Broken Planet'trilogy and like the two previous books has fascinating concepts with science fact mingling with imaginative fiction that hooks you from the very first page. There can be no return to their home galaxy - the Milky Way Galaxy - 180,000 light years distant for a battle scarred Argo and its crew of Earth-born humans and their alien brothers. Only a pact with strange entities saves the starship from the grip of a powerful gravity field at its event horizon. But there is a cost. A symbiotic blending with the entities takes place and the crew are no longer wholly human. The crew now fear their very essence could now be held hostage by an alien presence within - a presence they fear cannot be controlled. To honour the pact Argo must seek out and destroy a powerful military force that is slashing its way mercilessly across the Large Magellanic Cloud - a satellite galaxy to the Milky Way Galaxy and wiping out technologically advanced nations.
The entities wish to be referred to as 'guardian angels' and reveal nature's blunder. Chromosome decay of the cruel Rabbide nation has failed. Argo's commander recalls that on Earth the human males' Y chromosome was in sharp decline. Could there be a connection?
Years on an Earth-like planet is discovered and the crew uncover secrets beyond their wildest imaginings. Unlikely romances are forged but seem destined to fail when the awful truth of the planet is revealed. The 'angels' are resolute in their demand that the pact be honoured. Argo's crew are horrified and there seems little chance that commander can temper the angel's demands.
This fast paced tale has surprises aplenty as Argo and crew are pitted against a powerful terminator species slashing its way mercilessly across the galaxy - an unstable star and an unpredictably, volcanically active world. Can Argo survive against seemingly impossible odds?
PULSATING-DRAMATIC-POIGNANT, with characters you will deeply care about. Big book...bold imagination. 5 stars
Cheers

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 4:58:36 PM PDT
A. Davis says:
On Silver Wings (Warrior's Wings Book One)

I gave this one three stars, but it has much better over-all ratings. I have been told many times that I am too hard on authors in my reviews- so keep that in mind when you read this 3 star review:

I really enjoyed this book. Yes, there were a few minor grammatical errors or typos, but I disagree with previous reviewers who said that the errors "wrenched you out of the story". I never felt that the formatting of the e-book or the grammar detracted from my enjoyment of this book. In fact, this book was far better edited than most of the $0.99 things found on Amazon today.
The only reason this book didn't earn a higher review from me is that I wanted a bit more character depth. It is possible, however, that Mr. Currie decided that a more detailed look at the characters would slow the pacing of the story - which is fabulous.
If you like military sci-fi, I highly recommend this book and the sequels.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 6:00:10 PM PDT
Specklebang says:
Blossem Rising is the second book in the Belle Chat Dangereux series. After her successful heist of The Federal Reserve and her subsequent death at the hands of rogue DHS agents, Blossom is awakening in her third life and planning to dry clean her fur coat. Time Entity agents are following her - will she make it to downtown?

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 12:41:39 PM PDT
u guys who complane that blossom takes 2 many baths: go read some thing boring if you cant take hotness like that! y are u even reading this you noob? blossom rules and u just cant handel it!!!1!!!!

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 12:44:04 PM PDT
Since we're having way too much fun now, here's my review of A Princess of Mars:
http://www.amazon.com/review/RTK6G5FY4OMYB

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 1:02:41 PM PDT
Specklebang says:
Now you're off topic. Either write about Blossom or self-promote your friend's obscure book but don't screw this thread up with valid reviews of published books.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 3:48:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2012 4:22:40 PM PDT
Defending the Sorak, by Blossom
Three stars * * *

I had no idea that the author of "My Adventures with Mice" and the Belle Chat Dangereux series was also a fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs. But in "Defending the Sorak," she provides a fascinating look at cats and cat-like creatures as they appear in Burroughs' works. It had never occurred to me that Sheeta in "The Beasts of Tarzan" and the black-maned lion in "Tarzan the Untamed" were precursors to Jad-bal-ja, the cat who shares top billing with the ape-man in "Tarzan and the Golden Lion." Her suggestions that the calot and banth of Barsoom are related, and that the sorak is actually a relative of the apt, white ape, and green man (!) are worth considering for any fan of the Mars series.

I know she didn't do the artwork, but the pic of Dian with the saber-tooth is the best since Frazetta, and the artist isn't credited. If he's the same one who did the pic of John Carter polishing the sorak's teeth, then he's too good to be unknown.

This is Blossom's first and, as far as I know, only scholarly work, and there are some strange misspellings. Also, I didn't think it helped to capitalize every feline noun in the book. She doesn't do that in anything else I've read by her.

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 4:53:31 AM PDT
I've reviewed two science fiction stories available on Project Gutenberg, but they're also for sale on Amazon for $9.99 a pop for a hard copy (free for the Kindle).
Probability (1954) by Louis Trimble (≈ 3,000 words)
The Jameson Satellite (1931) by Neil R. Jones (≈ 8,600 words)

Anyone else reviewing these tidbits of lost sci-fi history? I'm quite enjoying the adventure to take an hour to read and review an ancient story.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 8:30:05 AM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
Hi Mike, I read a lot of the old stuff, but generally don't review it. I've got extensive notes on "The Jameson Satellite" and how it demonstrates a pure instance of the SF concept of "The Sense of Wonder". Also, some analysis of the Poesque/Weird Tales prose styling and the story structure.

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 9:28:18 AM PDT
Yea, "The Jameson Satellite" did reflect that pure SF concept. Unfortunately, my review hasn't popped up on Amazon yet. I loved it except for the repetitive use (if you read my other reviews, you'll know I HATE repetitive words) of the words "strange" and "queer". But yea, solidly great classic SF! Recommend any more freebies out there for me, Mr. Rogers?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 10:12:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2012 12:47:04 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
If you haven't seen Stanley G. Weinbaum's stuff yet, there's a pretty good chunk available on Gutenberg. Very interesting author, good writer and quite forward looking--he had the first instance of virtual reality I can recall seeing, and the first mention of self replicating robotic cellular automata (showing a very high level of understanding of the problem--in some senses, better than Von Neumann's or almost anyone else playing with the idea since).

It's not free, but this series is packed with good stuff and inexpensive: The Golden Age of Science Fiction: An Anthology of 50 Short Stories (Unexpurgated Edition) (Halcyon Classics)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 9:11:27 PM PDT
P. S. Wright says:
Thanks. Bought. Can't wait to dive in.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 9:37:54 PM PDT
John S says:
This review is from: Voyage of the Dead - Book One Sovereign Spirit Saga (Kindle Edition)
This is one of those books that starts with a bang and I read waiting for the pace to slacken, except it doesn't. Too often, books of this kind start out with an action scene, and then we get chapters of backfill and descriptions of the soap opera-like travails of our chracters. While Forsyth indeed fills in the characterizations, the key quality of this book is that most valuable in any kind of thriller--PACING.

After so many weary replays of Romero situations, it's rewarding to read something that really does something different with this material. Imagine an action-movie situation, now throw in zombies. That's easy to imagine, but difficult to pull off. The author also has a droll sense of humor I found enjoyable without falling into the foolishness of so many books and films which dilute the horror with jokes. (I laughed out loud at this line: "What is the nature of your emergency, Three Two Foxtrot?" was the immediate reply. "Zombies," replied Mick before Scott could stop him.) The humor seems to pop out of the mouths of people caught unawares by their situations and seems natural, not forced, and thus keeps the proceedings from getting depressing.

I am very, very hard on action stories, and almost as hard on horror stories, so I was surprised to find this combination of both to be so engrossing and enjoyable. I'm looking forward to the next volume, which surprises me even more, since I can't tell you how many multi-volume sagas I've abandoned. Very enjoyable.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  65
Initial post:  Jan 6, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions