Facility Spring Cleaning BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Blue October Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th
Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Best Science Fiction Film of All Time?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 507 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2008 6:05:37 PM PST
thames says:
>>The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the Eighth Dimension<<

Lol. Looks like we're getting them all on here. Covering all the classics--both new, old and cult.

I love Buckaroo Banzai but it is in another dimension from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Banzai and Repo Man are perfect for what they are but in another category from say 2001 and Blade Runner.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2008 6:23:35 PM PST
Damon says:
The Fifth Element, seen it over 100 times and I just got it on Blu ray, looks and sounds amazing.

2nd, Blade Runner, Star Wars, Aliens.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2008 5:07:19 AM PST
Jack Matrix says:
To me it's always been Forbidden Planet. "Beware of monsters from the id!"
Warren Stevens. This movie is not merely loosely based on The Tempest. I
know of no other film with such an original idea. "Morbius! The thing out there.
It's YOU!" Leslie Nielson. The movie also blesses us with exceptional visuals,
including Ann Francis and Robby the Robot.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2008 6:33:02 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 2, 2010 8:29:01 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2008 9:23:11 AM PST
thames says:
I just ordered the movie. Much to my shame I have somehow not seen this classic. I fear I just got the twist.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2008 10:36:34 AM PST
The Day the Earth Stood Still(1951)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2008 12:12:56 PM PST
The Omega Man.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2008 12:34:19 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 30, 2008 5:05:58 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2008 4:17:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2008 4:02:48 PM PST
In no particular order....

1. The Matrix
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. 2001
4. Repo Man
5. Altered States
6. Terminator 1 & 2
7. Brazil
8. Dark City
9. Blade Runner
10. Starship Troopers
11. Robocop

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2009 5:51:45 PM PST
whiterabbit says:
Blade Runner !!!

(...especially the awesome director's cut now available, and especially on Blu Ray ...mmmmm!)

PS: Thanks for asking the question, Bob. The answers are all very interesting and have reminded me of some great movies I haven't seen in a while... Time to dust off a few DVD's on my shelf and start some popcorn popping! Like "Brazil"! I'd forgotten about that weird, wonderful movie. Thanks for reminding me, Joey.

=:-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2009 6:19:52 PM PST
thames says:
Akira anyone?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 9:07:07 AM PST
Paul Shikata says:
in no particular order

1- solaris (tarkovsky version)
2- 2001
3- zardoz
4- blade runner
5- minority report
6- soylent green
7- gattaca
8- altered states
9- the matrix
10- planet of the apes (1968)

happy new year

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 9:15:26 AM PST
I have to go with Serenity followed closely by the first Star Wars film.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 9:21:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2009 9:23:08 AM PST
mostserene1 says:
And happy new years to you, Paul AND OTHER POSTERS (oops).

Zardoz, Altered States, and The Fountain (not your list) are all created or directed (or both) by individuals who took great leaps of intellectual imagination. In my view, these films do have flaws in the sense of traditional film-making, but at least break the mold of conventional story-telling in visually arresting ways.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 9:53:06 AM PST
Anonymous says:
Logan's Run

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 10:15:43 AM PST
Galley says:
Close Encounters of the Third Kind

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 10:45:04 AM PST
Walter Five says:
Glad to see someone mentioned "Brazil!" Certainly one of my favorite Sci-Fi flicks. Glad to see people speaking up for David Lynch's "Dune", as well! Amazing and ambitious films, both of them!

"Metropolis" is an obvious suggestion.

No mentions for 1936 "Things To Come?" :-/ Maybe I'm into this too deep...

My all-time favorite? "Heavy Metal." It's not the most intellectual, not the best directed, not the most high-tech, but it grabbed me by the balls and gave one helluva ride, and with all its episodic story-lines, it's all over every genre of science fiction & fantasy that was going back in the late 70's/early 80's.

Honorable mention to 1931's "Frankenstein", and I'd have said David Lynch's "Eraserhead" instead of "Heavy Metal", but as there's no "science" in it, it'd be a stretch to call it "Science Fiction." Perhaps it's Fantasy... perhaps not... a friend of mine who has a 12-year-old child with Down's Syndrome swears it's an allegory.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 11:44:15 AM PST
Vincent says:
My favorite is Blade Runner (with Harrison Ford voiceover, it was the first version I saw, and watching all the others I just keep wondering "where's Harrison?", hehe) They could at least have offered it as an option on one of the 'all versions' releases. Sigh.

And for Omega Man, I watched it with brothers while the parents were away, and they found out because my 5 year old brother had nightmares about Mathias coming for him for over a month!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 6:46:02 PM PST
sfrules says:
No question. The Day The Earth Stood Still (The original, not the remake travesty)

sfrules

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 8:30:59 PM PST
R. Horn says:
Wow what a question!! There is no real answer to that unless you define the catagories. My personal favorite and one of the first Sci Fi movies in color with groundbreaking special effects was War of the Worlds 1953. In an interview Ray Bradbury said it was the best sci fi movie he had ever seen. Considering when it was made it stunned everyone. I won't even mention that turd Spielberg tried to remake. Obviously all his money is weighing heavy on his brain. My personal favorite of the last 50 years is Bicentennial Man 1999.

If you had asked for the worst sci fi movie of all time, that would have been a lot easier. Such as Howard the Duck, Event Horizon, The Kovak Box, Atlantis the lost Continent and Red Planet Mars.

How about the best sci fi remake of all time? The time machine 2002.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 11:14:16 PM PST
Lynch's Dune is too bloody.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 11:13:24 AM PST
Barbarella.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2009 3:45:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2009 3:51:23 PM PST
clearcutter says:
My top three in order:

2001: A Space Odyssey
THX1138
Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky's)

I'm surprised there isn't one vote besides mine for THX1138.

mostserene1: I love Zardoz - totally unique.
Paul Shikata: great list - every title is a real gem.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2009 3:54:56 PM PST
mostserene1 says:
Liquid Sky (I also posted it on the Worst Films thread; this one could go either way. I mean, heroin and flying saucers??)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2009 4:04:32 PM PST
Not an easy question to answer because most people do not know the differences between science fiction, science fantasy, and fantasy adventure. There are some writers in these discussion groups who actually think Star Wars and the Indiana Jones films were science fiction. Without getting into a debate here over definitions, I'll let my choice do the talking. While I loved 2001: A Space Odyssey, which I believe is science fiction in its purest form, I would still have to go with a relatively obscure British film made in 1968 titled, "Five Million Years to Earth" (aka "Quatermass and the Pit"). Despite being limited by a typically low British filmmaking budget, this high concept film was based upon a fascinating premise which, given recent discoveries on Mars, still resonates today. Unfortunately, this movie is almost impossible to find on DVD, and it rarely shows on television. "Alien" would be my third choice, although I believe it's just a high-budget remake of "It! The Terror from Beyond Space" (1957).

John Robert Johnson
Author of "Purusha's Urn"
http://www.johnrobertjohnson.com
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new science fiction stories - and help take them to the next level
12 Mar 25, 2016
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
190 Jul 2, 2014
Announcement
New Star Wars Release: The Jedi Path now available. Read the author's insider notes...
31 Sep 3, 2015
It's April 2016. What sci-fi book are you reading? 9 1 day ago
Noticed a price drop on these books... 8 5 days ago
Horrow novel vapire title help PLEASE!! Thanks you!!! 4 21 days ago
It's March 2016. What sci-fi books are you reading? 13 25 days ago
Kindle Unlimited: Science Fiction Recommendations 151 27 days ago
How about LitRPG (MMO-based virtual reality books)? 123 27 days ago
I recently got back into science fiction and would like recommendations. 17 Mar 24, 2016
I have posted this so many times. Please help 1 Mar 18, 2016
Computer generated books.. 7 Mar 15, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  263
Total posts:  507
Initial post:  Dec 23, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions