Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

The best science fiction short story anthology

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-38 of 38 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 7, 2011 6:56:11 PM PDT
If you want to read some good stories from an up and coming science fiction author, check out Amaranthine Rebellion by Rian McArdle. He says some of his influences are Ray Bradbury and Kurt Vonnegut. Anyway, the book is available on the Kindle and it's only a few bucks - check it out.

Posted on May 7, 2011 7:05:24 PM PDT
K. Rowley says:
A few suggestions:

Skylife: Space Habitats in Story and Science
Escape from Earth: New Adventures in Space
The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Seventh Annual Collection
The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Vol. 1: 1929-1964
The Golden Age of Science Fiction: An Anthology of 50 Short Stories (Unexpurgated Edition) (Halcyon Classics)
Masterpieces: The Best Science Fiction of the 20th Century

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 7:49:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013 7:52:00 PM PST
Opera Ghost says:
I've been looking for a science fiction anthology used for high school sophomore English in the mid-80s. Can't remember the title or cover, but I do recall "A Sound of Thunder," "Harrison Bergeron" (I believe), and two other stories: one about a prisoner with a little device implanted in his neck to keep him from escaping a wall-less prison and the other about an astronaut on Mars (?) who "adapts" to his surroundings.

Any help is appreciated greatly!

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 2:14:44 AM PST
The last one sounds like this:

"The Enchanted Village," A. E. van Vogt, 1950 - (Alternate title: "The Sands of Mars") The lone survivor of a ship crashed on Mars encounters a living city that tries to please him but is unsuited to his needs. The music is oppressive and clamorous, the shower delivers an acid bath. With each drop of water it provides, a bit of the city disintegrates. The man tries to commit suicide, reasoning that his fate is sealed and there is no need for the city to destroy itself. During the night, it seems the city adjusts. The man wakes up to a delicious meal, violin music, and a proper bed temperature. He waddles off happily, unperturbed by his new snout and four-foot tail.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 12:47:31 AM PST
Opera Ghost says:
That's the one!

Thank you so much!

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 5:59:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2013 6:00:44 AM PST
W.T. says:
Back in the seventies, Doubleday released a series of "best of" collections for sci-fi legends who were in their creative "stable" (or out-of-print). Many of the volumes were then published in paperback by Ballantine, who added a few extra volumes themselves that were never Doubleday HC's. If you enjoy pulp-era stories, they are a relatively cheap way to get the best of that era, and are a nice alternative to the more expensive collections out today.

I have the volumes for:

Isaac Asimov
Edmond Hamilton
Leigh Brackett
Fredric Brown
Cordwainer Smith
C. L. Moore
Henry Kuttner
Fritz Lieber

and I'm sure at least four more that I'm not thinking of.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 3:49:54 PM PST
Great list, Bill. I'll add a few of my favorite golden age authors to the list whose works are available in inexpensive or free Kindle editions:

James H. Schmitz
H. Beam Piper
Harry Harrison
Keith Laumer

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 8:05:37 AM PST
Richard says:
You can never go wrong with Groff Conklin, arguably the greatest anthologist of the 20th century.
Crossroads in Time
17 X Infinity
Science Fiction Terror Tales
Great Science Fiction About Doctors
Possible Worlds of Science Fiction
Science Fiction Adventures In Dimension
Strange Travels in Science Fiction

all contain short stories you will love reading from the golden age of Science Fiction.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:42:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 8:43:28 AM PST
W.T. says:
Also from Conklin, Clarke and Asimov, a favorite of mine:

Omnibus Of Science Fiction

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:24:14 PM PST
the 1 new for 365.64 cracks me up.. :) I love books, but not that much. I did order a used copy for about 7 bucks though. :) Thanks for the heads up.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 1:24:23 PM PST
Nancynan says:
If you're looking for something new, after all of those classics, I can suggest "Time Wars", by Gordon Rowlinson. Not only is it good science fiction (short stories), but he infuses humor, as well. A good collection.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 9:12:02 AM PST
it's not an anthology with a lot of writers it's just a collection of one writer's shot stories. Pump Six and other stories by Paolo Bacigalupi. I love his stuff but it might not be for everyone if you're just getting into the sci-fi stuff.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 3:08:02 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
this is worth a look: 2001 Nights: Journey Beyond Tommorow the stories have a real Golden Age vibe.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Mar 12, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions