Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

New, Upcoming Science Fiction Movies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 908 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 6:04:28 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
"No, I write mainly for the adult Sci Fi market, and mash-in other genres with regularity."

Remember, dearie, that I've read samples of your stuff, and "mash" pretty much sums it up. (You don't need to hyphenate "mash-in", btw. LOL)

(By the way, with all this cross-gender, I mean, genre "mashing-in", have you finally managed to recoup the expense of publishing your first two books? That's such an odd concept... I've never had to PAY SOMEONE to let me do what I do professionally; they pay me. LOL)

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 1:48:10 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
If this is an "author battle", its not doing anything for me.

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 4:00:50 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 25, 2012 4:10:37 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 5:50:00 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
(Nah, only one wannabe author. LOL)

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 6:15:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2012 6:20:25 PM PDT
I saw NO commercials before I saw the movie. I saw the trailers, because I've been following the production of this movie for twenty years or nearly so, but not on TV I didn't. My girlfriend saw two commercials, about a week apart, on the same show (Walking Dead). The ads showed up on the sides of DART buses about a week and a half before the movie came out.

There were no toys, Disney never showed this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPcRPqvdEog=2m43s
from their own vaults, and I still haven't seen the quotes from George Lucas, Robert Heinlein, Ray Bradbury, James Cameron, and Carl Sagan about how these books inspired them to do what made them famous.

John Carter inspired everything from Flash Gordon to Star Wars to freaking SUPERMAN, but you'd never know it. Nor would you know that the story is a hundred years old and by the creator of Tarzan.

Other than Walking Dead (a little) and the Superbowl (which is on once each year), I guess they wasted the dough. Oh, it was squeezed between commercials during "Prophets of Science Fiction," about two days before opening. I didn't find out for a week.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 6:56:34 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
I'm not sure what Disney's advertising stategy was or what they spent their ad budget on, if people on the forum hadn't talked about it, I probably wouldn't have found out about the movie till it showed up on cable.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 1:05:08 AM PDT
M. Helsdon says:
"I saw NO commercials before I saw the movie. I saw the trailers, because I've been following the production of this movie for twenty years or nearly so, but not on TV I didn't. My girlfriend saw two commercials, about a week apart, on the same show (Walking Dead). The ads showed up on the sides of DART buses about a week and a half before the movie came out."

Heads have already started to roll at the House of Mouse.

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 8:41:30 AM PDT
I went to see "The Hunger Games" this weekend. I have to say that they really did a good faithful rendition of the book. Woody Harrelson as Haymitch was great. I was entertained and enjoyed it.

I'm surprised the reviewers in the papers have only given it 2-1/2 stars. I guess they are doing their usual poo-pooing against anything with a lot of hype. I don't know how you would find the movie if you haven't read the book, so maybe they fall in that category.

Also, I kept wondering if the fellow who played the 'emcee' Flickerman was the same fellow who played the head Thern in "John Carter". It wasn't! These 2 guys look almost exactly the same!
(Stanley Tucci vs. Mark Strong)
(http://www.imdb.com/media/rm490183168/nm0001804 vs. http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1316664064/nm0835016 )

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 11:11:37 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
"I saw NO commercials before I saw the movie."

I forget whether you've said which part of the country you're in, Sailor, but I saw the commercials a fair bit on Time-Warner here in Southern Ohio. I forget which channels exactly, but I'm usually on BBC America, USA, Comedy Central or--against my better judgment--Siffy.

FWIW

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 2:41:55 PM PDT
http://screenrant.com/men-black-3-set-photos-aliens-rick-baker-sandy-160994/

NEW 'MEN IN BLACK 3' SET PHOTOS REVEAL RICK BAKER'S RETRO ALIENS

(I think that's RC to the extreme right - hairy, no head.)

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 7:40:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2012 7:41:06 PM PDT
I'm in Dallas County. Time Warner. They probably did run them on Siffy a bit, even here. Maybe they ran the Asylum's "Princess of Mars" and ran commercials for "John Carter" during it! LOL, and again, LOL.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 8:27:14 AM PDT
Sailor B,

Oh my god, that is only too funny! ROFL!!!--> "Maybe they ran the Asylum's "Princess of Mars" and ran commercials for "John Carter" during it!"

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 6:39:43 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
(Oh, Marilyn! Is second childhood when those grade-school comebacks seem witty again? LOL)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 1:10:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2012 12:35:11 AM PDT
i am reader says:
Sailor Barsoom the first movie i thought about after seeing 'Hunger games"Joel Mccrea "the Most Dangerous Game " then thought of Harlan Ellison did he write a plot for the old Star Trek or was adapted from a story he wrote, kirk fights a lizard guy all for the amusment of others also a Robert Heinlien novel about sending kids to another planet to become adults.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 5:39:07 AM PDT
W.T. says:
Sad to see John Carter tank so badly. It's actually a good movie. True the ad campaign was atrocious, and Disney not allowing the movie to be called "John Carter of Mars" was ridiculous and probably confused the casual movie-goer somewhat since "John Carter of Mars" describes what the movie is about more effectively.

It may simply be that in our post-modern, cynical society, those of us who crave good old-fashioned adventure are just a shrinking minority. That's sad, if true.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 8:06:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2012 8:07:50 AM PDT
I'm sorry to have to agree. I have to wonder who the movie was made for in the first place. I'm old enough to have been bitten by the ER Burroughs revival in the 60's. To everyone's complete credit, although I did not start to re-read the source material until after seeing the film, the result seemed to me uncommonly faithful to the basic material, if perhaps not the plot [I'm only 40 odd pages into "A Princess..." at the moment]...Tarzan is known to practically everyone, but the Mars books are both a lot less familiar and a lot more complex, in terms of settings, and characters. It's true that many Science-fiction writers [ Heinlein and Bradbury come to immediate mind.] were weaned on Burroughs, to their credit, for without his romances we would not have "The Martian Chronicles" nor Heinlein's extensive explorations of the Red Planet. This film is remarkably faithful, visually splendid, and decently acted. It's too bad the production company thought so little of it not to fund an documentary for the History Channel [unless I missed it?] to break ground among those to whom the source is understandably unfamiliar....A disappointing outcome for a promising project!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 8:28:10 AM PDT
M. Helsdon says:
What is really tragic is that a fan produced trailer is both superior to those made by the studio and effectively sells the movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OzPVYy7LHIo

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 9:39:50 AM PDT
Disney spent a lot of money on this movie, but they seemed afraid to let people know what it was all about. It's like the marketing people were afraid of the word "Mars" and in fact they had no idea how to sell the movie at all.

"Oh, uh, well... we'll show some monsters and the guy chained to a rock. I mean, that's cool, right? Right? Oh, and we'll show the girl in her hot outfit, or maybe not, because parents... NO! you can not use the word M... M... Mars." <spits on ground>

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 12:10:01 PM PDT
M. H.,

Yes, that IS a MUCH more effective trailer for JC. But I'm sure they shivered at the fact that it wasn't 15 or 30 seconds long like all the other stuff they throw at us.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 12:59:24 AM PDT
Yog-Sothoth says:
As far as upcoming movies, this past weekend (4/1/12), this weekend, Paramount Pictures has given the grren light for a new Star Trek Movie entitled "Excelsior" in which George Takei will play Captain Sulu. According to a Paramount official, part of the impetus for this new movie was fan reaction to the casting of Takei as Captian Sulu of the 'Excelsior' in that movie ("Target that explosion and FIRE!"). This announcement is part of Paramount Studio's 100th-year anniversary campaign. J.J. Abrams will direct, with Robert Orci again writing the screenplay.

One of the co-stars will be Paulo Montalban, to play the mercurial "Agha," the grandson of Khan (played by Ricardo Montalban in the Second Star Trek Movie). Also featured will be Gilbert Gottfried (playing a Ferengi First Officer) and Lisa Lampanelli (as a Bajoran security officer).

Evidently the setting of the movie is after the events in Star Trek VI ("The Undiscovered Country"), and having a Ferengi and Bajoran, pre-ST-TNG.
http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/04/01/george-takei-to-target-that-explosion-and-fire-again-in-sulu-spinoff-star-trek-excelsior/

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 1:06:22 AM PDT
M. Helsdon says:
April Fool.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 2:47:52 AM PDT
Yog-Sothoth says:
Blast it, MH! You spoiled it!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 7:48:29 AM PDT
M. Helsdon says:
"Blast it, MH! You spoiled it!"

Yog, you may be counterminious with all time-and-space, but you posted it a day late!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 7:19:10 AM PDT
E. Gibson says:
He continues to resell the same movies with slight changes. It is amazing that he continues to get away with it.

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 9:09:39 PM PDT
Total Recall reboot -- Official Trailer is now up.

See-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GljhR5rk5eY

It looks much slicker than the original, but I don't like the way they made Colin's fight look like "The Matrix". Oh well, from the looks of this trailer I don't think they ever go to Mars, but I'll still have to go see it.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  908
Initial post:  Aug 23, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 29, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions