Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Announcement

Important announcement from Amazon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 191 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2014 7:47:35 PM PDT
You have just replied to a post that is over 3 years old. And if you had been around the forums back then you would realize that it created a HUGE difference. Back then every single thread. And I do mean every single thread would have multiple authors post a link to their book and nothing more. No addition to the conversation. Nothing but a link to their book and perhaps a brief synopsis of the book. Being in the forums was like watching a television shopping channel.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2014 5:10:30 AM PDT
I agree with Ronald's concerns. All this will really accomplish is to cause authors, filmmakers, and the like to go "stealth."

Check out the reviews for "Star Trek Into Darkness" for an example of this. One of the screenwriters for that film dominates this area, but despite at one point admitting his identity, he now denies being that person.

As a result you have a massive quantity of purchased "sockpuppet" reviews, perpetual harassment of anyone who dares criticize his film, deletion (by purchasing a batch of "click to report abuse" clicks from the same service he purchases his sockpuppet reviews through) of any post which he feels to be a "threat to his narrative" ... not to mention all sorts of other misconduct openly and blatantly in violation of Amazon's standards...

... and, to date, no action has been taken to reign this in by Amazon.

If his sort of behavior is permitted to continue, unchecked, why should we have confidence in THIS "fix?"

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 12:09:02 PM PDT
I hope the next "important announcement" u make involves a wp8.1 amazon prime app....

Posted on Jun 10, 2014 10:10:11 PM PDT
Donna says:
I am like you, always looking for a good book to read, even with hundreds already on my Kindle. I have made some discoveries about what I like and require in my reading material. Lots of free books out there with "free" editing, as in poor editing. Lots of series out there with only the first one written and a date uncertain for the rest. I don't like these. I prefer to read a series with all the books written or a date certain and soon for the last one. I will read in return for a review if it is on a genre I like. I don't mind suggestions but don't like authors who are on a thread recommending books and are only interested in pushing theirs. So that is my three cents.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2014 9:36:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2014 9:39:36 PM PDT
Can I invite you into a intellectual conversation here on this? I'm not being sarcastic, I think you have an 'across the table POV' that I would like to hear. I will even give a recent situation to evaluate on.

You say you ignore/auto dismiss books or posts that are thrust into your face. And That's you. No problem there. What I am curious to hear your take on is...

>>> In another forum, there were several posts from various folks "asking for suggestions to a particular genre" In the the thread (not a big one mind you) several suggestions were made with the Amazon product link (all the big names that are sitting on the top pages of the best seller list). So I made a recommendation of a particular title coming out. Now here's the twist. I am very excited about the book, and that doesn't happen for me often. I also work in advertising so it shows in that my suggestion included a marketing plug of sorts. <<<

(Its just me) But I spend a lot of time on airplanes and I read, but I go through at least 20 samples before I buy a book. And out of those not many really get on my favorite list. Now an author who is one of my favorites is about to put a book out in my favorite genre. (Its like the introduction of Reeses peanut butter cups about to happen.)

So there's our topic. Going by what I just described: Did you take me as just an enthusiastic answer to a question that was made? Or did I just throw flashing neon adverts in your face because I am looking forward to it myself? Anyone else feel free to add your take, too. Call it a curiosity panel if you will.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2014 5:02:30 PM PDT
It's interesting, some of your comments, especially this one. Not that I am trying to take a jab at you by any means. But it gives me a platform to point something out. I work in marketing and one thing is for certain (nothing on Pulpman here) but 'shoppers' are compulsively lazy. They browse over the first two pages; they pick from the top of the pile; they buy what is flashing in front of their face. It is a marketing fact that only 1 out of 50 buyers will dig down to the bottom of the bin, and half of those are only after the cheep tickets or freebies. What is left are the few and rare connoisseurs looking for the 'gem'. So for the average shopper, yes it is: "too much trouble to scroll down that far?"

The bottom line is, if authors have found the forums help them sell more books, than this will most definitely have a poor effect on them. And when retailers are continuously restricting marketing strategies while on the other end authors are helpless to pirating. We may start to see further degrading of the quality of Indy authors available. (in other words those who actually invest to have their work professionally edited, formatted and covered may go way of the dodo bird)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2014 4:44:59 PM PDT
Because readers are going to go to the forum that is discussing the book or genre they are interested in, not to the 'catch all' of promo posts. No one wants to sift through 200 posts of house wife romances in hopes of finding something in the dystopia sci-fi fiction

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2014 4:42:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 10, 2014 9:56:14 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2014 3:46:33 PM PST
You are right MIKE I had my head up my *&^% on that post, you'll notice I deleted it. I should direct my frustrations apropriately and not randomly. Sorry.

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 7:25:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2014 11:29:14 PM PST
The best contributors to the forum are also the so-called trolls because, speaking as a long-time participant (since 2006 or so) myself, we value the unbiased opinions of our science fiction recommendations. These same contributors are also long-standing participants of the forum, respected for their advice and, above all, their science fiction wisdom. The trolling of biased interlopers is part of our forum culture. We're not bad--we're misunderstood by outsiders. And when making accusations, like "I noticed one of the trolls making a comment that the threads on this forum are boring", please quote the said passage.

Posted on Feb 9, 2014 7:56:24 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 23, 2014 3:39:49 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 4:34:48 AM PST
A good illustration of the problem. These kind of posts don't generally lead to sales. Personally I automatically dismiss books that are thrust under my nose this way. At least if there is a rule in place, there is grounds for deleting the blatant spam posts.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2013 4:19:26 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
Amazing - promoting a book on a thread which specifically states that self promotion is NOT allowed here.

Sheesh.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2013 6:04:07 PM PST
Donna says:
If you are going to take the big chance of announcing your book in a non author thread at least make it count with a clickable link, yeah?

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 4:49:08 PM PST
My first book "Open DNA The Beginning" is on Amazon Kindle. Part of a 10 volume series. Does kindle count for authors?

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2013 7:52:32 AM PDT
nobody reads the policy

all these 'authors' get the bright idea of spamming their book
then they do it
they dont read the policy

if the forums had a lot of stickys stating (name) was banned for a year for spammign their book then the others might get the message and stop doing it

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2013 7:11:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2013 7:12:03 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Some people do make honest mistakes out of ignorance of the policy. Banning someone for a year [edit: for a first offense] seems a bit excessive.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2013 10:25:18 PM PDT
empty threat

the spam is all over the other forums

we can report abuse
but nothign happens

lets see their spam replaced with a note tht the spammer has been banned for a year for spamming

Posted on May 8, 2013 5:28:06 AM PDT
So, I'm at a complete loss now... What did David NOT understand???

It's not exactly rocket salad.

Posted on May 3, 2013 10:13:48 AM PDT
Will this limit our ability to shamelessly promote other books? Haha

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2013 11:22:28 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 26, 2013 11:40:32 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 11:19:32 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
(Oh dear, he's disappeared again. Was it something we said?)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2013 11:18:20 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
"So Ron - you looked at the free pages and found nothing. Well...at least you tried."

NO, David. I did not even look at the free pages. Sorry to disappoint you, but NO. What about what I wrote above was not clear about this point?

I looked at the book page, read the brief summary there, and that was all.

"We all get it. You want Simon & Schuster caliber blogging, and no one using Amazons 'Insert product Link' without your permission."

I have no idea what you're on about. I can't recall the last time I read a blog article on the S&S site (or the last time I even visited there); since I haven't mentioned them that I recall, I have no idea why you are, either. As for using the product link "without [my] permission", again, whine on about Amazon's [N.B. apostrophe usage] rules about it all you please. I didn't make them up and I don't enforce them. But you do have my permission to shove one as far as it will go.

"I have to ask...what good do you think people find in your presence here on the thread?"

It's not an issue that ever crosses my mind. I come here for my own entertainment.

"Perhaps we could find some other self-righteous and self-appointed spelling and rule checkers, and form a club!"

Ooh, goody!

"Posters making points intended for the thread get derailed by your petty self-appointed blogger police."

Um... you do realize that this is a FORUM, not a BLOG, right?

"That RUINED the Sci-Fi thread we had yesterday - only after the fight did you find out the defendant was COMPLETELY innocent."

Actually, you weren't. But go ahead and let it play in your mind anyway you like. :)

"So you wonder why people leave threads you are on?"

Not at all.

"What else do you have to do that's more important (at work) than bashing strangers on here?"

I moved a pile of bricks around back, placed some flagstones for a new path/walkway around front, played with my cats, fed them, talked to my uncle and a neighbor, sat in the sun and watched a honeybee visiting a patch of violets. And now I'm having a bowl of instant ramen and posting this reply to you.

Here's something you might enjoy, btw. :)

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 10:23:40 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 26, 2013 11:01:18 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2013 10:14:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2013 10:23:10 AM PDT
Dog Lover says:
I answered "yes" above and that link goes precisely to the posting I wished to use.

You are really messed up. You can choose to continue this madness if you wish. The fact that you, evidently, do not READ replies renders meaningless any further discussion.

DL
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  64
Total posts:  191
Initial post:  May 16, 2011
Latest post:  26 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions