Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

The Real Upcoming Space Wars?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2013 5:51:57 PM PST
AWST finally came out with a review of the SR72 Hypersonic vehicle from Lockheed. Cool, but I am not sure the dual turbine/scramjet engines will perform enough for the planform.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2013 3:55:02 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Recommending bad scifi in lieu of or in addition to writing it now?

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 10:01:11 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 7, 2013 7:30:56 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 28, 2013 11:31:40 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 7, 2013 7:30:41 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2013 6:33:47 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
The article she linked to has this to say:

"The government expects to spend about a trillion dollars on the F-35 program in general over the next 50 years. The project has been criticized for being over-budget, delayed and even having some visibility issues from a pilot's perspective."

Evidently just another example of her stunning summarization skills and borderline fetish for aberrant punctuation. (I mean, Aberrant-Punctuation.)

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 5:13:34 PM PDT
The WWII German ME 109 had 'visibility' issues to the rear, but that didn't stop them. Not sure what the point of that was.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2013 3:33:40 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Pilots have some "visibility" issues?

What... they're invisible?

Is there some hidden meaning behind emphasizing "visibility" with scare quotes?

Oooh... your descriptions is so mysterious and intriguing that I just can't help clicking the li... Zzzzzzzzzzzz...

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 10:39:09 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 7, 2013 7:28:02 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2013 7:00:50 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Name one "favorite movie" of yours that you've gone back to the theater to see twice (or more times).

(Name one film you've seen in a theater in the last year, even.)

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 9:03:04 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 7, 2013 7:22:09 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2013 9:04:29 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Quite.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2013 3:26:19 PM PDT
TO: Marilyn Martin

RE: "But in creative fields, like Hollywood..."

I don't think that they're all that "creative" when their greatest efforts seem to be about cribbing from comic books.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2013 12:59:52 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 7, 2013 7:21:02 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 6:21:10 PM PDT
Your welcome, Walter.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2013 5:00:33 PM PDT
TO: CivWar64 (Bob)

Thanks for all the excellent information, and especially the links!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2013 4:50:44 PM PDT

RE: "So everything is bottom-line driven anymore."

That's nothing new. Any business, in whatever field, tries to make a profit. After all, to make a profit and keep on making a profit is why a business exists in the first place.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2013 4:38:39 PM PDT

Thanks for all the great info, especially the math.

RE: "Sorry for all the Math terms!"

No problem. I certainly hope that you don't think that I'm mathphobic, as is the majority of the population! (smile)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2013 12:55:40 PM PDT
Do not forget that formula time is not necessarily flight time due to having to plot the course against known hazards and orbits to ensure the flight will be minimalized for impacts or fuel wasteful alterations. This can require different mechanic forumulations calculated into the flight plan.

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 9:32:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2013 9:35:02 AM PDT
On PBS the other night, they had on "Nazi Mega Weapons" Episode 3: "V2 Rocket"

I highly recommend it. I learned an awful lot that I didn't know before about the whole program. They had actual footage of about 20 or 30 different explosions and failures of the V2 that I had never seen before and went well beyond 'glitches'. [They mention that the V2 had 3,000 parts.] In spite of its tragic and horrifying start (basically working prisoners to death in awful conditions), it's well worth watching the program. It was amazingly informative and well done.

They have a couple of actors playing parts in a few segments, but most of the show is actual WWII footage, plus they visit some of the sites as they exist today.

Walter -- remember a year ago we had a discussion about von Braun's broken arm when he was captured, and that it wasn't from the V2 accident that almost killed him but instead when he went into a ditch as he was fleeing to the Allies? They explain why he almost got killed in that V2 accident -- when he got to the point of 80% successful launches, most of the V2's blew up mid-air and so he got close to one to try to see what was causing the failures. [It was from the internal truss and outside skin buckling during supersonic flight.] They simulated that accident with an actor, but later they show the actual von Braun with his arm in a huge cast as he was transported by the Allies.

I found this site that says the episode is online, but it wouldn't work for me. You might want to search around and check your local channels->
http://www.wgbh.org/programs/Nazi-Mega-Weapons-2340/episodes/V2-Rocket-46380

Edited to add -- here is a link that works that has the 52 minute program->
http://video.pbs.org/video/2365052459/

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2013 9:18:21 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
You got all that from a sales chart? Got any other sources?

When was the last time you watched a movie with a real family, where everyone sat down and watched?

More talking out of your assumptions. LOL

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 7:33:53 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 7, 2013 7:20:36 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 31, 2013 7:53:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2013 8:08:51 PM PDT
Walter,

You're welcome.

NASA's current Juno mission to Jupiter will take just under 5 years to get there. Since it will do one Earth flyby for gravity assist which takes 2 years, then 5 years minus the 2 years loop = about 3 years to get to Jupiter.

The Galileo probe took over 6 years as it got gravity assists from both Venus and the Earth, so it looped around the inner solar system for a while to pick up speed before heading out.

I did a look up of the formula, and a Hohmann transfer orbit to Jupiter is 2.75 years. Here's how to calculate it:
From Kepler's Third Law --> (#years for full orbit)^2 = (((Au(J) + AU(E))/2)^3
Astronomical Units (Jupiter) = 5.2 and AU(Earth) = 1, so ((5.1+1)/2) = 3.1 So you cube that and take the square root gives time for a full orbit around the Earth and Jupiter of 5.46 years. So 1/2 an orbit (ie. from Earth to Jupiter) is 2.73 years.

I think in the movie they got there in about 1-1/2 years (though I don't remember for certain since the mission clock jumps around in the flashbacks).

[Edited to add: the AU is the distance of the planets from the Sun. The reason we add the Earth's AU to Jupiter's AU is that we would launch towards where Jupiter will be in 2.73 years and from the opposite side of the Sun to that point. You take 1/2 of that total distance since the formula uses what is called the semi-major axis of the ellipse, or more simply the distance from the middle/center of the ellipse to the outer end of the ellipse. Sorry for all the Math terms!]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2013 5:34:10 PM PDT

Thanks for letting us know about the movie "Europa Report".

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2013 5:32:09 PM PDT

RE: "And Hollywood could be even more entertaining if they took more chances on good stories..."

Yes it IS amazing how the various Hollywood studios, producers, and directors seem to move in lockstep when it comes to generating concepts and ideas.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2013 5:28:30 PM PDT

By the way, would you happen to have, right at hand, the time that it would take to travel to Europa, using a minimum energy trajectory (the only kind we can do right now).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 45 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  57
Total posts:  1114
Initial post:  Oct 8, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions