Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Star Wars acquired by Disney - Episode 7 green-lighted for 2015

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 80 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 31, 2012 4:24:39 PM PDT
"Star Wars on Ice" set on Hoth ...

LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 8:43:14 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 8:44:51 PM PDT
Jay Leno just had a clip of the Disney Star Wars with Mickey Mouse ears on Darth Vader and Goofy buckteeth on Luke. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 5:16:30 AM PDT
W.T. says:
Harrison Ford would still be perfect for "old Han", yes. Carrie Fisher is long retired from acting, though. Plus she's let herself go. And Mark Hamill hasn't done anything other than (excellent) animation voice work for almost 20 years.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 8:48:55 AM PDT
Lord Baal says:
Give Joss Whedon a free hand and we could be back to the glory days, but Disney are rather hands on and I suspect will be so keen to protect their considerable investment they'll try for safe and we'll end up with some saccharine sweet marketing ploy for the next generation of crappy action figures.
Note to whoever gets the gig, NO MORE EWOKS or GUNGANS !!! anybody coming up with anything vaguely cute or humorous should be fired immediately.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 9:05:59 AM PDT
Psylocide says:
Star Wars ended with Return of the Jedi, where it was supposed to.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 9:15:37 AM PDT
"the plan was for a total of 9 movies"
Lucas wrote 9 story outlines originally.
He used story 4 for the first movie because he thought it would sell.
We never saw the last 3 stories.
But maybe we will now.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 10:29:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 10:30:43 AM PDT
W.T. says:
The more I think of it, I like the idea of going in an entirely different direction. Skip to the next generation. Each trilogy should jump a generation by default. Maybe have a few spot cameos by the original cast, but no more.

I hope Disney doesn't do anything to invalidate the Extended Universe. What a mess that would be! Star Wars has the "cleanest" EU going right now, but we could easily end up with a disaster that makes even the "Star Trek" canon look organized by comparison.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 5:09:35 PM PDT
Ewoks /shudder

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 5:27:52 PM PDT
Yog-Sothoth says:
My son and I discussed this when the news came out a few days ago. What sort of stories would they come up with for these sequels? Would they adapt a Star Wars novel or series (Bakura, Thrawn Trilogy, Black Fleet Trilogy, New Republic, etc)? Make them "kid-friendly" with a tale of the Solo Children? Would they even follow current establish "canon"?
I'd rather see ORIGINAL screenplays, that don't "mess" with the canon. I'm no Star Wars weenie, but I know Disney would get all sorts of hate mail if they told a story that didn't "fit" in with the already entrenched mythos.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 5:29:20 PM PDT
Yog-Sothoth says:
"The Adventures of JarJar and Goofy"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 5:32:08 PM PDT
Lol, the horror. I actually shuddered... literally.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 6:26:57 PM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
Don't forget Disney's journey into scifi with the sublime "The Black Hole." Remember Maximillian Schell, who only wanted to do research into a black hole, after turning the crew into zombies!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 6:47:35 PM PDT
You know Disney is planning a remake?

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 7:50:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 6:46:31 AM PST
According to this, Episodes VII, VIII, and IX are probably going to be an all new story and an an Avengers-style movie universe (i.e., movie spin-offs for individual characters): http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/LFL_Source_SW_Episode_VII_An_Original_Story_148665.asp

Kathleen Kennedy, who has worked with George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, has been put in charge of over-seeing the new Star Wars movies: http://www.businessinsider.com/kathleen-kennedy-in-charge-at-lucasfilm-2012-10

Timothy Zahn, who kick started the Star Wars EU, weighs in about the new trilogy: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/02/star-wars-sequels-timothy-zahn/

I'm optimistic about it.

Something I've been wondering about is how the Expanded Universe will fit in with the new trilogy. Will the new trilogy wipe out the entire Expanded Universe? Will it cherry-pick some ideas while still providing an original story?

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 5:31:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 7:15:10 AM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
There's something wrong in scifi when everything has to fit someone's color-coordinated scheme. It used to be diversity of scifi visions. Now everyone has to march in lock-step to synchronized schemes. I thought Asimov's Foundation and Robot Series were an indicator of this trend. Like physics, scifi must have some "Grand Unified Theory." I've read through a half-dozen short story scifi collections recently and was amazed at their divers patterns. From "The Ironclads" of H.G.Wells (1903?) to recent hard science collections I've gained a perspective on the myriads of thought that these authors brought to the table. What brought me to this thought was a poster who asked for a scifi movie that didn't have combat in it ( paraphrase). Though we know this isn't the case, it made wonder what the scifi movie audience expects today. More Transformers combined with the signature Disney fart jokes? When Star Wars 4,5 & 6 were released they had a deeper meaning, the universal struggle of humanity against injustice and oppression. But now we have studio execs wondering how to play this in non-Western markets like, say, China. We're talking big bucks here so will the Star Wars's message get watered down by a ton of Wow! and Zowie! Like it has already been done before. How's Disney going to soft-pedal the message of human dignity and freedom to places like China? This ought to be great to see.

[Sp. corrections]

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 9:34:07 AM PDT
Lord Baal says:
I'll just bet we get a new Star Wars Holiday Special.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 11:15:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 11:17:04 AM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
Martha Stewart and Rachel Ray do Thanksgiving at Jabba the Hut's Palace. Featuring a special guest appearance by Nigella Lawson.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 12:51:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 12:59:20 PM PDT
I'm already retching about the animated direct-to-DVD tales they may produce:
Anakin Wonderland, The Galaxy Before Time, Winnie the Jedi, Lady and the Jedi, That Darn Womp Rat, James and the Giant Death Star...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 4:24:24 PM PDT
lol, you had me going for a moment.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 6:44:23 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
Hey I just ripped a copy of "James and the Giant Death Star", it's definitely better than "Surf Nazis Must Die".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 8:00:49 AM PST
"anybody coming up with anything vaguely cute or humorous"

So, no C-3PO, R2-D2, Chewbacca, Jawas, the little guy sitting next to Lando Calrissian in the attack on the 2nd Death Star, the little laughing thing on Jabba the Hutt's shoulder, Natalie Portman, Yoda...

No "I love you."
"I know."
No "Laugh it up, fuzzball."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 8:02:28 AM PST
"Give Joss Whedon a free hand ...anything vaguely cute or HUMOROUS should be fired immediately."

Joss, you're hired. Joss, you're fired.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 12:19:52 PM PST
my idol yoda is

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 4:08:15 PM PST
Lol to Cilantron.

I don't really see what the fuss is over. The only shift that's happening is who profits from the sales. Besides, after Eps 1-3 the only way to go is up, right? ...Right?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  80
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions