Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Announcement

Important announcement from Amazon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 191 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 13, 2011 4:57:09 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 2, 2011 8:31:18 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 5:58:01 AM PDT
Dog Lover says:
Amazon is being VERY responsive on the Kindle forum, the Romance forum, and the Romantic Suspense Forum.

Last week I emailed them asking why that announcement wasn't on every forum. They said they started with where the problems had been reported most often first and were working their way through. I also said that I thought it a mistake to unpin the announcements. They didn't respond to that part.

I've been very happy with them. I get almost immediate responses to any query about the topic and the result of reporting abuse seems to be handled with fair dispatch as well. It could be that they are dividing personnel resources in some way that allows some fora to be less actively monitored or something.

Another thing... The "standard" customer service reply if you use the "contact us" approach is far less knowledgeable about all this. (Yesterday they used some boiler-plate that had been used last year. It was "pre-MOA") However, if you use the link on the upper right corner "What are Customer Discussions?", there is a problem reporting/email link there that goes right to the "forum folks." Very responsive.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 7:18:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2011 7:20:40 AM PDT
Nine hundred sixty-seven threads were moved, many of which have been dead for a year. We've got a list of rules that we're attempting to comply with and the science fiction forum, in the MOA forum, is active and interesting. We also have many readers who have found the new forum and who appreciate the way in which we're trying to organize it, so that promotion lists, just link lists and discussions are separate.

The number of authors who promo-bombed discussions in this forum are a very small percentage of the total and many of them are not independents. We're currently searching out the how-to-promote threads and posts that recommend newly published authors do that and attempting to remove them. We're learning that many of the advisers were 'sock-puppets.' Ask yourself who benefits by giving independent authors a bad reputation. It certainly isn't independents. Generalizations about a group are a form of bigotry. Ask yourself who benefits by promoting that, too.

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 9:00:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2011 10:17:50 AM PDT
C. Hall says:
Threads dead for over a year are certainly not the same as "Self-Promoting" threads posted since this announcement!

Anyone seen any of those removed,I sure haven't!

I don't go to the Kindle(but it seems Kindle authors are the absolute worst for SPAMMING the threads,I've seen!), Romance Forum, or Romantic Suspense, so don't know about them,but I know they haven't touched a post in the Young Adult thread(as a grandma I like to get books for my granddaughter),and they have removed their "Announcement" and that is the worst community that I know of for these SPAMMERS!

ETA- I just checked the Romantic Suspense Community - No announcement there and not a single example of Amazon deleting a post,but that community seems pretty dead/inactive anyway!

Although much more active the Romance Community also does not have this announcement, and from what I saw SPAMMING by authors does not seem to happen there,period. Did not find a single post deleted by Amazon.

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 11:11:45 AM PDT
It's a process, not a wave of a magic wand. Do you wish to pay for additional staff and overtime to remove individual posts that irritate you, specifically? We're quite pleased Amazon is working to control the foolish and rude, who damage our reputations, and knowledgeable about the work it takes to do it. We make more money for them than print-published authors, so we're working to accept the method they're using and hoping they're correct that it won't reduce our sales and their profits in the long-term.

E-book readers and e-books are modern technology and too much more profitable than print publishing for corporations for anyone who understands business to think that's not the direction all major publishers are moving. Eschewing a profit margin of 19% to maintain one of 5.6%, and falling, is not corporate thinking. It's been the plan since the mid-80's, when the traditional publishers were bleeding red ink and the Big 6 bought them. By the end of this decade, the only way you'll get a printed book is to order a print-on-demand, buy used, at an exorbitant price, or purchase a $75+ hard-bound collector's edition. Basically, the only thing that has caused it to take this long was the time required to develop power storage technology; long-lasting, efficient rechargeable batteries, just as Alvin Toffler predicted.

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 11:25:45 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 2, 2011 8:32:32 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 11:47:58 AM PDT
If you dislike Amazon so much, why are you here? There are discussions of science fiction on many other sites. I visit and communicate on several of the most popular and I've never seen you on any. Perhaps because there's nothing to rant about?

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 12:02:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2011 8:35:32 AM PDT
C. Hall says:
I never before had a problem with Amazon and have happily shopped with them since '94. My problem is with these disgusting SPAMMERS filling almost every book thread on this site,and I am an avid reader so I visit many communities that have to do with the many different genres that I enjoy.

I was at first thrilled when Amazon posted this announcement,until time proved that it was totally untrue and insincere!As you can check my post in their announcement thread in the Historical Romance Community,I was also thrilled and said so in their announcement thread in the Young Adult community,until I noticed not a dang thing was being doing about the SPAMMERS there,and I asked why in heck that thread wasn't even "stickied".Then their thread totally disappeared.

You darn right I am going to rant,and rant and rant about being LIED TO! I am a PAYING customer and I have spent a lot of money here, and I am FED UP with these SPAMMERS ruining my enjoyment of browsing the threads for book ideas,and coming across their self-promotion for books that are not even in the genre of the communities they are posting in!!
They are the rudest people you could find on a forum,and in the same category as internet TROLLS!

ETA, That I must say I am ecstatic to see that Amazon has been removing posts by the Self-Promoting SPAMMERS!

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 12:45:50 PM PDT
You have no idea who I am, so saying people 'like' me is illogical. You have declared yourself incapable of intellectual converse with your intransigence and unwillingness to examine data which disagrees with that which you have propounded and your self-centered vision. Besides, working yourself into a ranting fit is not recommended as aerobic exercise and learning you died of apoplexy would make me feel a bit odd.

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 3:57:44 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 2, 2011 8:35:55 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 6:15:11 PM PDT
Pulpman says:
Hi Chris
I have found in most of the discussion groups I frequent Amazon has done a good job at keeping thier word. I disagree with the policy but find that authors and others are being kept in line. You will notice that in this discussion no placement has been allowed. I have seen deletions in other sites too. Even though some rant I still think authors had good points during discussions.
What I have noticed is far fewer active discussions and missing discussion threads. I was in one off and on and now i can't findi. Has anyone seen "Are there any readers here?" I can not locate it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 6:17:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2011 6:23:50 PM PDT
Dog Lover says:
We Romance Forum patrons are very viligant and self-promoters don't stand a chance against us. (We started self-policing before the MOA forum was established.) Amazon is VERY responsive there to abuse reports and has been deleting self-promotion threads and posts very quickly for us. If you didn't see those deletions, you just weren't looking.

The announcement is there but is no longer pinned. In fact, it just bubbled back up to the 1st page because I posted to it in discussions about our most recent self-promotion incursions (which we speedily handled.)

The Romantic Suspense forum did virtually die because of the self-promotion. It was once a vital and active community. I'm hoping it will come back to its former activity level as the self-promotion continues to be managed.

DL

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 6:30:14 PM PDT
Dog Lover says:
Another point...

"Following through" by Amazon depends on forum patrons reporting abuse. Amazon doesn't read every thread on every forum every day. If you have just been sitting back and waiting for magic to happen, you are doomed to disappointment. You must use that report abuse link. In addition, as I said in my first post, corresponding directly with community support via that special link always gets me same-day responses.

DL

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 6:12:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2011 6:38:20 AM PDT
C. Hall says:
Re: Pulpman,well I don't know which discussion groups you frequent,but I have only just today found 2 posts that say "Deleted by Amazon" since this announcement was first posted May 14th,and believe me I have reported many,many,many in the Young Adult community!

Check out the Young Adult Community yourself. You can hardly find a thread there where these SPAMMERS don't post,and Amazon has done absolutely nothing. Those same posts that I reported since the announcement are still in the same threads!
BTW I also went back about 8 pages looking for their announcement thread,but it is gone.

I also am pretty sure that other threads have disappeared before.

Dog Lover, I was really surprised to see how free the Romance Community was of these posts,you all certainly are doing an excellent job there! Must be an amazing number of you who will report SPAMMERS,if Amazon actually responds,yet no,I didn't notice a single post that said "Deleted By Amazon" as I browsed.

Here are examples from just the first page to prove Amazon pretty much ignores the SPAMMERS in the Young Adult Community~

"Young Adult romance" thread even the OP told them off!

"Can anyone suggest some good books? I'm a 13 year old girl and I read heaps. Please Help! "
There are 3 on the last page since the May 14th announcement.

"YA readers... This is for you" Thread is by the Self-promoter-Kelvin Osondu

"Young Adult Books for Book Club" the self-promoting post by Murray is still there,and so is the one by Anders Lundberg promoting his wife's book, Donna Boyer again,
R Fischer, and Kelvin Osondu,Ken promoting his wife's book,and last Monique James,and I have reported every one of these!

"Looking for a fantasy adventures books for ages 9-15" Last post dated June 14th is another by the self-promoting SPAMMER Kelvin Osondu

"Looking for BOOKS!!!" SPAMMERS Since May 14th and starting on page 3-Jeremy D Rodden,S. T. ADAMS,Clive Maddison,Neil Ostroff,Kelvin Osondu

"YA Forbidden Love" -SPAMMERS-J. Parisse-brassens,Reussie Miliardario,Michael Wescott Loder,MNM,

"New Books for a teen girl!" This is the very first and ONLY thread that I have seen with 2 posts "Deleted By Amazon" since the announcement! however there is still some recent SPAM in it,by Atarah L. Poling,
Tamara Rose Blodgett,J. Parisse-brassens,Shawn Robbins,Jody Studdard,Kelvin Osondu,

"Ya fantasy recomendation?" Spammers-S. T. ADAMS,Kelvin Osondu

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 9:08:17 AM PDT
Pulpman says:
May be I am wrong but aren't authors allowed to put in their books when the discussion is asking for books to read? I also get the impression that you are just going to discussions to find violaters of the new policy. Why waste your time? I go to converse and try new books or movies I may not have tried before.
I have been vocal about my oppostion but I do not let myself get angry over it. I still shop here which is what Amazon is really here to do.

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 9:22:32 AM PDT
CAL says:
Awesome! People pushing their self-published crap in every thread when people are looking for good books to read are a nuisance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2011 9:36:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2011 10:27:03 AM PDT
C. Hall says:
Re: Pulpman,
[quote]May be I am wrong but aren't authors allowed to put in their books when the discussion is asking for books to read? I also get the impression that you are just going to discussions to find violaters of the new policy. Why waste your time? I go to converse and try new books or movies I may not have tried before.
I have been vocal about my oppostion but I do not let myself get angry over it. I still shop here which is what Amazon is really here to do. [/quote]

Well you tell me, how do you take the announcement from Amazon?

[quote]With the advent of the new community, we will no longer allow self promotional posts in other communities. Starting on Monday, May 16th, all "shameless self promotion" activity will be limited to the `Meet Our Authors' community. Promotional threads outside of these forums will be removed. [/quote]

The way I comprehend that, is it is saying that authors are to post "self-promotional posts" in NO OTHER COMMUNITY-PERIOD! Or they will be removed!

BTW-If you had even bothered to even check the threads in the Young Adult Community,you would see how much I post there myself,recommending books to others,and I am not an author so I am not promoting myself!

I have two granddaughters and I enjoy some YA myself!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2011 9:58:37 AM PDT
Dog Lover says:
<<...no,I didn't notice a single post that said "Deleted By Amazon" as I browsed.>>

Then you missed several. You won't see a lot because we have battened our hatches are are well known in the self-promoter community as terrain best left unchallenged. Amazon deleted at least 4 posts just yesterday.

Thank you - we do, IMO, a great job of keeping the Romance Forum free of scribbler self-promotion so that we patrons can actually discuss books instead of being treated as a captive audience for self-promoters. We have many authors who are very active on the forum but who do not feel it necessary to wear the sandwich boards of advertisement.

DL

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 10:15:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2011 10:20:54 AM PDT
C. Hall says:
I did not browse long there so I will take your word for it that I missed posts "Deleted By Amazon". Congratulations on your success at keeping those rude SPAMMERS at bay in that Community.

When Amazon starts making a concentrated effort in ALL the book Communities to Delete those posts,then once again it will be a joy to browse the threads in a ALL the genres of the book Communities, like it used to be. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2011 10:39:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2011 10:40:27 AM PDT
Dog Lover says:
Thank you.

I agree that it will be great to be able to use the genre communities as they were intended and as they once were. It will take full participation on the part of the communities' patrons, though.

DL

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 10:46:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2011 10:47:39 AM PDT
C. Hall says:
I do agree with that. It is just such a shame that so many authors are so incredibly rude that it takes any step at all,to keep them from invading threads with their self-promotion. Common decency should make them aware of that! Unfortunately that is a fast disappearing character trait today.

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 10:25:35 PM PDT
Pulpman says:
Chris i took your advice and went in to the YA discussions. Saw plenty of spaces saying removed by Amazon in the three I was at. I still saw the ones that you mentioned and I assume that Amazon has not caught up with them yet.
If you have read any of my earlier posts on it I am against Amazons policy. Authors were part of many discussions I was in I had no problem with most. Now most of the threads are gone and fewer people seem to be involved. I understand people being frustrated with self promoters. Just do not understand the attacks on the people who disagree or the authors who are posting in threads that ask for some help finding books. Sorry if it offends you but I still do not see the point of taking authors out of those threads.
Amazon wants self published authors, and even asks them to publish with Amazon then slaps them in the face by saying now what ever you do do not let anyone know about your book unless it is in the authors forum. Which from what I can tell has hardly any readers in it at this time

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 11:19:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2011 5:02:12 AM PDT
C. Hall says:
OH Come On,you can't be serious!

These SPAMMERS abused the privilege past the point of comprehension and they are now getting exactly what they deserved for ruining the enjoyment of the threads for the majority of us!

There is absolutely no excuse for their rudeness and invasion of almost every thread in every book community regardless of what genre.

For instance in one thread I visited, a lady asked for suggestions for Amish Fiction,and five disgusting 'self-promoting authors' posted their books which not a single one was in the Amish Fiction genre!

These are those that we are sick of! They are no different than the harassing telemarketers. When you ask for a cookbook- no jerk has any business posting about their stupid car book, or Fantasy,or Sci-Fi book,for example,but you see examples of this in every book Community that exists on this site!

If we want their book it can be found when we do a genre search,including those that are self-published,so they have no business whatsoever shoving their books in our face in every thread we visit! I know this because a non-self-promoting self-published author that I enjoy,her books come up whenever I do a search for Clean Romance.

I wouldn't buy a book from a SPAMMER or even borrow it from the library from such an inconsiderate pest just on the principle,alone.

They can still participate in thread discussions,they are just forbidden from "HAWKING" their books,or their Wives,Husbands,or other relatives/friend's books!

Now when this pledge is truly honored by Amazon these forums will get back to being the great source of book recommendations that they used to be.

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 11:59:12 AM PDT
Pulpman says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 12:03:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2011 12:27:48 PM PDT
C. Hall says:
Actually that product link comes in very handy to insert links to the product's(not just books) page.

I'm not one bit surprised that you ASSUME it was created SOLEY for the use of the Self-Promoting TROLL'S books,LOL!

I use that product link myself when leaving book/movie recommendations!

I would ask again~ what do you take Amazon's announcement to be saying?

[quote]With the advent of the new community, we will no longer allow self promotional posts in other communities. Starting on Monday, May 16th, all "shameless self promotion" activity will be limited to the `Meet Our Authors' community. Promotional threads outside of these forums will be removed. [/quote]

Like I said those SPAMMERS have abused the privilege,and they are getting exactly what they deserve!

If you notice almost every single thread on each page of the Young Adult Community Forum is filled with the same SPAMMER's posts over and over and over and over again, no matter what genre their book is or what genre is being asked for,as usual!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  64
Total posts:  191
Initial post:  May 16, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions