Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

New, Upcoming Science Fiction Movies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 908 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 18, 2012 7:15:09 AM PDT
http://hungergamesmovie.org/category/hunger-games-trailer/

Here's the Theatrical Trailer for 'Hunger Games.' Looks like another teen-scream flick.

Looks like new dressing on an old idea. How many short stories did I read years ago about a hunter tracking 'human' game?

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 7:42:24 AM PDT
Sailor -

http://dwij.org/pathfinders/linda_moulton_howe/linda_mh3.htm

How about IMMORTAL SKIN CELLS?

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 8:44:01 AM PDT
Sailor B,

Re. cutting Lois in half, high school physics teachers have been using it for years to demonstrate basic physics formulas like V^2=2ad

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 2:40:42 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
It seems that Promethius is not (maybe) going to be in the "Alien" universe.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2012 4:31:35 PM PDT
Also the movies _The Most Dangerous Game_ and _Naked Prey_. Plus at least one ep each of _Gilligan's Island_ and _Fantasy Island_.

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 5:09:16 PM PDT
Those cells are amazing! Even if they can't be used for everybody, it would be hard not to learn from them, and that could help with everything from burn victims to cultured meat or perhaps, some day, cultured leather, fur, and ivory.

I hope that high school physics teachers have gone on to point out why this needn't happen (because he matched speeds and decelerated her gradually).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2012 5:23:22 PM PDT
EdM says:
Teh trailer is much better in 1080p, e.g., or any higher resolution than provided by the link in your post, such as

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/thehungergames/

I don't know, but having seen the trailer, it seems closer to a Harry Potter type movie than some teen slasher/horror/scream flick.

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 7:33:25 AM PDT
EdM,

"...closer to a Harry Potter type movie than some teen slasher/horror/scream flick".

I think that's what they're hoping in order to attract the largest audience, especially if you are in England-> "In Britain, distributors agreed to cut seven seconds of footage featuring wounds and bloodied weapons in order to obtain a "12A" rating and draw in a bigger, younger audience."

http://www.theprovince.com/entertainment/movie-guide/Hunger+Games+violence+justified+stars+after+footage+Britain/6307288/story.html

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 6:10:02 PM PDT
They wouldn't like my stuff with an eleven year old protagonist. She comes out of a fight with a swollen lip, bloody nose, a black eye, and a big grin as she stands over her fallen foe.

Then she goes home for dinner.

Then she drops acid with a Neo-Shamanism priestess.

And no, you can't buy it. I don't think I'll ever even have the whole thing online.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 10:18:06 AM PDT
http://www.newser.com/story/142225/disneys-john-carter-a-250m-flop.html
DISNEY'S $250 MILLION 'JOHN CARTER' SET TO LOSE $200 MILLION
(But it's doing better overseas, and DVD sales will be huge.)

But the studios known for quality Sci Fi have some interesting things upcoming:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0000756/
TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX FILM CORPORATION
(Everything from "Prometheus" to "Robopocalypse" to "Avatar 2" are upcoming.)

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0023400/
PARAMOUNT STUDIOS
(Everything from "Untitled Star Trek Sequel" to "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" and "How to Train Your Dragon 2".)

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 10:45:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 22, 2012 12:46:41 PM PDT
Whoever Disney hired to do the marketing for "John Carter" should be fired and then paid good money to stay home and never work in the field again. I didn't see any commercials for it (my girlfriend saw two, on the same show), it appeared on the side of city buses about two weeks before it came out, and they decided to drop "of Mars" from the title because (get this) chicks won't see a movie with the word "Mars" in the title. Because, you know, chicks hate that planet (I guess).

Where were the toys? Where were the quotes from George Lucas, Robert Heinlein, James Cameron, Carl Sagan, all saying that the John Carter books inspired them to do what they became famous for? John Carter inspired everything from Star Wars to Superman, but you'd never know that. Where was the fact that it took OVER SEVENTY YEARS to bring this to the big screen? Nowhere, that's where.

As for upcoming...
If this guy could actually get "Transcendence" made, I'd check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wjps0BMpVw

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 11:54:40 AM PDT
M. Helsdon says:
"Whoever Disney hired to do the marketing for "John Carter" should be fired and then paid good money to stay home and never work in the field again. I didn't see any commercials for it (my girlfriend saw two, on the same show), it appeared on the side of city buses about two weeks before it came out, and they decided to drop "of Mars" from the title because (get this) chicks won't see a movie with the word "Mars" in the title. Because, you know, chicks hate that planet (I guess)."

In addition to sacking the PR, they should have sacked the writers and the director.

Having seen it, it wasn't as bad as I feared, but it would been a better movie retitled as 'Dejah Thoris' and that irritating John Carter written out entirely.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 12:39:40 PM PDT
For some reason, the guy who played John Carter reminded me a lot of the actor who was in the "Time Machine" remake. I didn't think he was that bad...I actually liked him.

I rewatched JC on a larger screen and in 3D. It didn't make much of a difference, though this time I was much better at figuring out who was a Zodangan and who was from Helium.

I blame mostly the writers/editors for making it too confusing at times to follow the action and plot at times. Oh, and the ad guys too for only hyping the action.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 12:45:08 PM PDT
For Battlestar Galactica fans...there's another prequel in the works called "Blood and Chrome". I'm not sure I can take getting into another series and then having it yanked away like they did with "Caprica".

Trailer-> http://io9.com/5895080/totally-badass-trailer-for-battlestar-galacticas-cylon-war-prequel-blood-and-chrome

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 1:13:00 PM PDT
M. Helsdon says:
"For Battlestar Galactica fans...there's another prequel in the works called "Blood and Chrome". I'm not sure I can take getting into another series and then having it yanked away like they did with "Caprica"."

True, though with Caprica the DVD set included scenes filmed (perhaps) when they knew there wasn't going to be a second season in a short which laid out the intended arc which slotted into the Battlestar 'history'. These strongly hinted at why the Cylons worshipped the One God and at the manufacture of the humanoid Cylons. It is a pity they didn't get to do the season, but that set of short scenes was a nice touch by the makers to compensate fans.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 7:09:47 AM PDT
Well put, Sailor. I haven't seen "John Carter" yet, but I imagine we'll end up buying the DVD.

The director had crossed over from animation after making hits like "Wall-e". You have total control over an animated movie, not so simple with live action.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 1:20:03 PM PDT
Marilyn,

"You have total control over an animated movie, not so simple with live action."
Maybe so, but look at what a great job is done by the Marvel Comics movies. A lot of it is getting a good script with good writing.

Time magazine had a really great article recently (about Pixar's upcoming movie "Brave") which mentioned how Wall-E went through almost a total rewrite and reanimation, which is why Pixar makes such great movies. It is because they really focus on the story and not because it is animation.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 4:15:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2012 4:17:26 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
"Looks like another teen-scream flick."

LOL!!!

So even though you supposedly write for the YA scifi market, you don't keep current with what else is out there? (chuckle)

Almost went and saw Hunger Games at the midnight showing last night, but in the end was too tired from my DIY project. May try to catch John Carter this weekend. Or not. :)

(Edit: Oh... and you do realize that things like Hansel and Gretel and Dragon Training 2 aren't scifi, right? LOL)

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 11:22:03 AM PDT
When I went to see JC in 3D, they had a new MIB III trailer. It looks awesome and hilarious and not just a Hollywood rip-off trying to make money off the past MIBs.

It took me a while to find the new trailer. Here it is-> http://men-in-black-3-movie-trailer.blogspot.com/

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 1:22:18 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Thanks, Bob!

Yeah, that definitely looks like more fun than MIB No. 2, which lived down to its number in every way. :)

(Think maybe Marilyn would deign to tell us about city miles? LOL)

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 10:18:11 PM PDT
Woohoo! I'm the first on this thread to say

Hunger Games = Good

Sorry, Sailor, but it's going to kill John Carter.

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 7:10:41 AM PDT
Bob -

Good point that Pixar was responsible for keeping "Wall-e" focused on the story. Some first-time, live-action directors get a little too starry-eyed at all the CGI at their disposal.

RC -

No, I write mainly for the adult Sci Fi market, and mash-in other genres with regularity. I've recently had a Sci Fi Horror published in "Deadman's Tome", and a Sci Fi Dystopian Romance published in "Strange Valentines" antho - both garnering favorable reviews.

And, uh, what is it that you do, RC? Exactly what have you produced besides flaunting your Personality Disorders over several forums with nothing but negative, snarky and stupid comments?

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 8:36:11 AM PDT
I was under the impression it was already dead, economically. I read that Disney spent $100 million on promotion. Damned if I can see where it went.

"Hunger Games" has gotten promotion. I don't hate on them for doing it right, just on the House of Mouse for *not* doing it, hardly at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 8:46:06 AM PDT
M. Helsdon says:
"I was under the impression it was already dead, economically. I read that Disney spent $100 million on promotion. Damned if I can see where it went."

Advertising worldwide, including a lot of television advertising time: this seriously misfired because the trailers didn't do a good job of selling the product, and were of a level to suggest a forthcoming flop. Movies that sell themselves, often don't require massive amounts of television advertising slots.

'John Carter' has done relatively well in Europe, Russia and Japan, so it may break even. If there is a sequel (even straight to DVD) I suspect the original writer/director won't be aboard.

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 9:21:09 AM PDT
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/mar/20/john-carter-lose-disney-200m

JOHN CARTER SET TO LOSE DISNEY $200M
"Muddled marketing and lukewarm reviews blamed for bad performance of space epic ..."
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  908
Initial post:  Aug 23, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 29, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions