Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Best Science Fiction Film of All Time?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 507 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2009 10:30:13 AM PDT
Jeff Walther says:
Brain Wave says:

"Would love to see a new thread for dumbest scifi, I would nominate "Day of the Triffids"."

Not even close. Try "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians", compared to that "Day of the Triffids" is great art with perfectly plausible science.

Posted on Aug 27, 2009 6:05:06 PM PDT
R. Pauli says:
Intellectually, I'd have to say Blade Runner is the best Sci Fi movie of all time. But if I'm being honest, If I could only keep one DVD, it would have to be The Last Starfighter.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2009 6:46:42 PM PDT
Agreed on Last Starfighter. I got the DVD so I could show the kids movies from when mom and I were kids. We all love it.

Posted on Aug 27, 2009 9:44:08 PM PDT
The day the earth stood still(old one), Dune, The Andromeda Strain (old one), Gattaca, Star Wars, Metropolis, Alien.

Posted on Aug 28, 2009 7:57:39 AM PDT
BobW says:
I would rate The day the Earth Stood Still (original) as the best black&white Sci-Fi film of all time. 2001 Space Odyssey is a great film, but the special effects technology wasn't able to pull off the ending as well as the book did, so I think if falls flat from that perspective. The first three Star Wars movies had an excellent storyline that many Sci-Fi films lack (I still remember sitting in the movie theatre watching Empire Strikes Back and hearing the words, "I am your father" -- my mouth dropped!), So I still hold those is high regard (except for the Ewoks).

Posted on Aug 28, 2009 10:30:38 AM PDT
The Man Who Fell to Earth
The Fifth Element
Blade Runner
Forbidden Planet
Clockwork Orange (when it came out it was Science Fiction)

Posted on Aug 28, 2009 6:37:32 PM PDT
Roland says:
2001 A Space Odyssey

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2009 9:28:38 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 29, 2009 7:50:40 AM PDT]

Posted on Jan 21, 2010 2:31:57 PM PST
I would have to go with

The Thing ( the original )

With an honorable mention
Terminator 2
Aliens
The Day the Earth Stood Still
The Thing (remake)

Posted on Jan 21, 2010 2:37:24 PM PST
I'd say Gattaca, that movie was very deep and explores some issues we will all be dealing with sooner than we think.

A close second would be Serenity.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2010 3:26:02 PM PST
sbissell3 says:
Well, now 'Avatar' has to go to the top, but I think 'Alien,' Aliens,' and the 'director's cut' of 'Aliens 3' need to be there.

The first 3 'Star Wars,' 'Star Trek: The Wraith of Khan,' maybe some of the others and definitely the new 'start up' 'Star Trek.'

Steven

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2010 3:44:46 PM PST
G. Marcos says:
@mostserene1:
I think you are rigth and 2001 is the best SciFi movie ever. I don´t think it´s generational. Sorry about your fathers, but Arthur Clarke is (I think) the nbest contemporary SciFi writer. Did you read "Childhoods End"? I trhink that is his basic writing. I would suggest you convince your middle aged parents to read it.
Who are you? where are you? I would like to chat with you sometime... Meet me at mjga2009@gmail.com

Very happy to meet you!

Mark

Posted on Jan 21, 2010 3:52:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2010 3:54:24 PM PST
Muzzlehatch says:
Stalker.

Followed by:

Solaris (original)
The Falls
La Jetée

Posted on Jan 21, 2010 4:02:16 PM PST
Horrorluvr says:
Alien #1 and Blade Runner #2

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2010 4:38:06 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 28, 2010 2:37:15 PM PDT]

Posted on Jan 21, 2010 5:09:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2010 4:12:14 PM PST
Cy'Bele says:
Hello all... I guess I am in agreeance with most of you...so I guess I will add (2) movies that popped into my head.Does anyone here remember the movie "The incredible melting man?" had to be made in the late 70's early 80's, I recall not ever wanting to munch on another grilled cheese sandwich after watching this one.All those even thinking about taking a trip on the virgin space hotel give it some serious thought, as this could be a devastating possible outcome if something goes wrong, destiny- "THE SUN!":-(. I think "Signs" was a pretty good movie,however I have to say "Close in counters of the third kind" is my favorite.

Posted on Jan 22, 2010 12:19:06 PM PST
Walter Five says:
Ah, Momentzzz I remember "The Incredible Melting Man" very fondly. I think that was '78 or '79, I was in Senior High School; saw it alone in an otherwise empty theatre at a now long-closed twin ciniplex in North Carolina. Made quite an impression on me. But I saw it again years later, and I have to say that time hasn't been very kind to that film, it hasn't aged well.

Mets Fan: Good call on the original "Invaders From Mars," but I would have to say that Director William Cameron Menzies better effort was the original 1936 film of H.G. Wells "Things To Come." That's up there with "Metropolis" as far as I'm concerned-- prior to 2001: A Space Oddessy, it was one of the most emblematic sci-fi films ever made, I had always thought.

"2001" changed the way the American public thought about science-fiction in films, IMHO. Things (for better or worse) in 'outer space' were no longer "Flash Gordon" and "Barbarella", perhaps Gene Roddenberry pointed in that direction on TV, but in feature films, "2001" was where science-fiction grew up, and showed us where we could hope we'd be in a mere 30 years, a period within the lifetime of most of the (then) viewing audience.

I gotta agree with Ms. Jentoff about "Blade Runner" and "Clockwork Orange". "The Man Who Fell To Earth" was very ambitious, but I don't think it quite hit the mark the way that "Blade Runner" or "Clockwork Orange" did. Bowie's coked-out performance was almost a hinderance for that film, granted, he was a natural for the part.

Much as I liked it, I don't believe "Avatar" is going to ever fall in this category. Even if it wins "Best Picture" at the Oscars this year (which it might), IMHO, "Star Trek" was a better film (and possibly a top-10 all-time contender).

Posted on Jan 22, 2010 8:51:48 PM PST
Robear says:
Star Wars episode 6

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 11:24:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2010 4:26:19 PM PST
I'd pick Destination Moon and 2001: A Space Odyssey, both of which were attempts to make "the proverbial good science fiction movie." Also, Aliens, the second movie in the series. The equipment of the Colonial Marines, as well as the atmosphere generation plant, was the most realistic and plausible that I had seen in a movie - much better than what was in Star Trek or Star Wars. All of these movies [Destination Moon; 2001: A Space Odyssey; Aliens] tried to maintain at least a modicum of scientific and engineering plausibility.

Posted on Feb 2, 2010 2:11:56 AM PST
M. Chilton says:
I have to say i liked 2001 for its originality and while it is done by someone else the spirit of the book holds true to 2010 which is faster paced for those that thought the first one was boring. It is a good blend of Kubrickish directing and the Arthur C Clarke message. My favorite of all time is still star wars only because it is the movie that made me intersted in sci fi and you never forget your first love. I also love blade runner, aliens (scared the poop out of me when i was little) T2. Id love to put dune on here (the mini series not the crap 70's one) but no version holds true to the books.

Posted on Feb 2, 2010 6:14:03 AM PST
JTW says:
Blade Runner.

Posted on Feb 2, 2010 7:48:54 AM PST
Not the best, but one of my all time favorites: Escape From New York

Posted on Feb 2, 2010 9:53:31 AM PST
hilts says:
Invaders From Mars (1953)
It's the movies you see as a child, when everything is new, that are the best. Everything else is just good. It's easy to reply with just one title if you think about it.

Posted on Mar 5, 2010 8:05:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2010 8:07:37 PM PST
M. Gaudet says:
Star Wars 1977. No episode IV subtitle from 1981. NO bad reediting or cgi from 1997, or 2004.

Best point of all no Hayden Christensen. It was a time before filmakers got lazy and used computers as a crutch, you know when they actual had actual characters and story not just special effects shows.

Posted on Mar 5, 2010 8:46:11 PM PST
H. Robertson says:
Some must haves for me no one mentioned are "The Children of Men," " The Road Warrior," and "Natural City"(Maybe the best sci-fi film you have never seen, made in Korea). On the low budget, no budget end, I love "Deathrace 2000," "Circuitry Man," "Cherry 2000." "Space Truckers," "Fortress," and "Americathon."
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new science fiction stories - and help take them to the next level
3 3 days ago
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
190 Jul 2, 2014
Announcement
New Star Wars Release: The Jedi Path now available. Read the author's insider notes...
29 Sep 24, 2014
Sci-fi Re-reads 67 4 hours ago
Kindle Military Sci-Fi/Space Opera Series Books Recommendations? 78 6 hours ago
Stories that are kindof-sortof about evolution / ecology 17 2 days ago
Star Trek Recommendations 11 2 days ago
Who are your favorite SF authors? 35 3 days ago
Kindle Unlimited: Science Fiction Recommendations 76 3 days ago
Best stories about truly alien aliens? 36 3 days ago
Research: Frank Herbert's DUNE 51 3 days ago
Cordwainer Smith's Instrumentality and Frank Herbert's Dune. 12 10 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  263
Total posts:  507
Initial post:  Dec 23, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions