Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Sci Fi series - TV, BSG, Torchwood, Others

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 208 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 10, 2012 2:00:23 PM PDT
This is for all discussions, especially with J. Schwarz and Donna about TV series. Thanks to all.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 2:15:08 PM PDT
And Babylon 5! And Firefly! And, and...

Okay, back to new BSG. These were pretty cool, giving a good indication at how complex the show is:

So Say We All: An Unauthorized Collection of Thoughts and Opinions on Battlestar Galactica (Smart Pop series)
Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy: Mission Accomplished or Mission Frakked Up? (Popular Culture and Philosophy)

I've just gotten into Torchwood recently. I've rated them
Season 1 - 3 stars
Season 2 - 4 stars
Season 3 (Children of Earth) - 5 stars

Haven't seen Miracle Day yet.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 2:28:48 PM PDT
Hi Cilantron,
Glad to have you here. Miracle Day was a disappointment to me. Let's see how you feel.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 2:48:11 PM PDT
Donna says:
I am not even sure you can rate Miracle Day with the others, it is so different, both in location and characters. But I did like it. NO Ianto, Tosh or Owen brings it down two stars by itself. Still, it is good enough I would like to see a Season 5. Better than no Torchwood at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 2:51:43 PM PDT
Donna says:
I love the links to new BSG stuff. I have a few also.

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/The_Destiny

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407362/trivia

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 12:29:55 AM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
If you guys haven't seen Lost Girl yet then get to it. It is the only show I watch on SyFy. It is very mature, has adult themes, and is refreshing in its story line. It is about a girl who does not know where she comes from who is a succubus and has to deal with the two abnormal factions that are living in the city hidden from humanity the dark and light fey. It is on Mon. nights at 10PM EST. Just thought I'd give it a mention since good new shows are so hard to find.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 11:09:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2012 11:16:57 AM PDT
Donna says:
I have looked for Lost Girl on my ON Demand but cannot find it. So I did a search and have it ready for recording on my DVR. Thank you! I think I missed the first season so am trying to capture it all.
Edit: I did a search On Demand and found it, but it starts with season 2 ep 3 so will try to pick it up from there.
EDIT 2: I see on the internet I can pick up season 1 on Global TV which I cannot find on my cable schedule. I also do not see that I can get it online either. So maybe NF or Amazon or Hulu Plus will pick it up?
I really hate to begin watching a show in the second season. uhuh

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 12:31:16 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
I didn't think this was the second season yet because I have seen it from the beginning with no interruptions. I think we are still in the first season. The show has potential and is interesting, however highly adult themes and stuff I thought I would never see on American TV. Must be made in England.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 12:39:18 PM PDT
Donna says:
It is definitely saying Season 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 12:41:16 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
I don't know Global TV. Maybe its the first season on Syfy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 1:35:01 PM PDT
Donna says:
That is what it said, but no video online.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 1:38:23 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
So you can or cannot catch it tonight on Syfy? If you need a fill in summary I can give you the main plot.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 4:56:59 PM PDT
Donna says:
I can. But I really don't want to start watching midstory. I want to watch from the beginning. I am recording it too.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 9:30:58 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
I have to say the story tonight was quite far out there. But it was interesting.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 1:14:12 PM PDT
Do not agree with your view, J. Schwarz, on Lost Girl. Doesn't mean it isn't good for you and Donna, just saying.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 1:18:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 1:19:02 PM PDT
Donna says:
I have never seen Lost Girl, but willing to give it a try. So as of yet I have no opinion.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 2:13:58 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
Just received my copy of DA that I saw years ago. What a great show it was. For those of you who have never seen it, you should. Now as for Lost Girl, I am not saying its one of the greatest shows out there, but it is different, the storyline is interesting and will hold your attention. And since she's a succubus there has to be some R rated stuff in the plot. Its more of a magic type show with abnormal people having different powers. Many don't think it is real sci fi, and it isn't, just fantasy similar to Buffy. Sci fi is usually grounded in possibility that one day may happen, with fantasy like Dresden, Angel and Lost Girl it will never happen, but its fun to watch. Yet I don't think the Avengers, or Xmen is my cup of tea.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 3:14:59 PM PDT
Loved Buffy and Angel. Liked Dresden, and Dark Angel. Lost Girl is OK. Fun to watch is the key for me, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 3:30:32 PM PDT
Donna says:
Maybe Lost Girl will not be mine but I loved Avengers especially and Xmen too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 4:32:19 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
For me those two shows are too comicbookish. I used to read these comics as a kid, but no more for me. Over time tastes change. However for some reason I did like Smallville on occasion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 5:27:13 PM PDT
Donna says:
Have you seen Avengers? It is pretty well done and acted, very entertaining. I don't do comic book stuff either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:10:31 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
No but I know it got 5 stars so something must have been done right. I will probably see it, although it is not the type of movie that I normally like. Watched the first two discs of DA today and have to say it was great. Alba was good in her role as Max.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 7:35:36 AM PDT
Misfits:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misfits_(TV_series)
Farscape (the best of the best).
Blake's 7
Dr. Who (the 80's one is the best).
I liked the Stargate spin offs. Not as much as many others, but I did.
Caprica had a good beginning, but was boring afterwards.
Never liked V that much.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 11:41:19 AM PDT
Donna says:
Hi Patricia: Seems you and I have similar but different tastes. I think the Dr. Who series gets a bit silly and liked the one with Billy Piper in it but don't like Matt Smith as the Doctor that much. I love the Stargate spinoffs, Torchwood (the old ones mostly), BSG and Caprica. I also liked V, Surface and now Falling Skies which is beginning anew soon.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 12:19:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2012 3:07:04 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
I can see our tastes are different. Dr. Who, although not great was a heck of a lot more interesting than Stargate. V I couldn't stomach, Surface I enjoyed and liked Falling Skies although it was not the best sci fi. I would imagine, and don't categorize me as being sexist that men enjoy more of the new exploration revelation type shows lite on the relationships while women are more into the relationships between the characters. And I do hate tongue in cheek characters with an attitude that attempt to make lite of whatever serious situation they are in. In other words I like hard sci fi, very realistic with no stupid humor involved.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  208
Initial post:  Jun 10, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions