Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Can you suggest any Space Dragon books?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 3, 2012 1:35:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2012 9:59:51 PM PST
Ciel 1101 says:
I'm wondering are there any good space dragon books with dragons kinda like the ones from TSODR (they have an empire, they use ships and have their own weapons)? Please don't suggest medieval dragons, I want only space dragon books. I am also interested in collaborating with authors of space dragon books for an anthology.

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 2:09:19 PM PST
Lord Baal says:
Star Dragon by Mike Brotherton, also available as a free download from http://www.feedbooks.com/book/2293/star-dragon .

Not your traditional scaly flying lizard type dragons though.

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 10:33:46 AM PST
Ciel 1101 says:
Thank you for the suggestion.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 3:02:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2012 3:02:32 PM PST
Zen Druid says:
Check out Dragons In The Stars (Star Rigger) and Dragon Rigger or Dragon Space: A Star Rigger Omnibus by Jeffrey Carver. I don't know if these are like the book you read, but definitely SF space dragons in these.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 3:16:04 PM PST
Ciel 1101 says:
Thank you! I heard of that series a while ago and forgot to read it. It's plot somewhat reminded me of TSODR. I'll check it out.

Posted on May 26, 2012 8:21:19 PM PDT
Ciel 1101 says:
Are there any more suggestions, or are space dragons a rare genre?

Posted on May 26, 2012 8:46:16 PM PDT
I would suggest Bitterwood (Bitterwood Trilogy) it is book 1 of a trilogy and that are all just $2.99 on the Kindle. I have not read the book you mentioned, so I am not really sure if it fits or not. I really liked the trilogy though its a science fiction novel thst kindle of hides behind a fantasy build.

Posted on May 27, 2012 1:42:17 PM PDT
Captain says:
Fallen Dragon by Peter Hamilton. Great book by one of the big three of sci-fi right now, Iain M. Banks, Alastair Reynolds and Hamilton.

Posted on May 27, 2012 3:04:55 PM PDT
The OP is the author of the book he keeps posting and shilling about. Shameless.

Just saying.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 5:00:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2012 5:02:39 PM PDT
Ciel 1101 says:
Shilling? It's not shilling when Amazon's horrid M-O-A forum has nothing but authors posting without regard for looking at other author's books. It's a death trap and it has pushed people like me out of it, and thank you for calling me a boy when I'm really a girl (it seems to happen a lot). And I'm asking for recommendations, mind you. I'm sick of the MOA and it's midnight advertisers.

Back to the original post! Do you have a Sci Fi/space dragon book to recommend?

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 6:12:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2012 8:18:38 PM PDT
I think what people are upset over is that your original post was worded in a way that made it sound like the book was one you had just happened to read, not one that you'd written.

I know it can be hard to feel like you are banished to the MOA ghetto, but the current situation happened because there were a lot of authors who were only participating in the discussion threads to plug their books, and it shut down the discussions because it was impossible to find the real content in the midst of all the self-promotion.

If you come into the forums and participate as a reader, no one gives you any flak. Sometimes, they'll click on your profile and discover that you've written something, and they might buy it (always welcome), and they might write a review (very welcome), and it might even be a good review (even more welcome), and they might come back to the forums here and start recommending it to other people (most welcome of all). But if you annoy people, they'll tell everyone they can think of not to buy your books because you are a spammer, and if you were deceptive, they'll not only tag you every chance they get as a spammer and a liar, they'll report you to Amazon and possibly get your account suspended.

I really wish that other authors hadn't ruined things for the rest of us. It's frustrating, but it's the way it is, and these are the rules that we are stuck living with.

There really are some great book discussion threads here, if you decide you want to participate. There are also a lot of good groups over on Goodreads, and some of them allow or even encourage self-promotion by small press and independent authors. If you aren't already active there, you might want to check it out.

Good luck.

BTW, Terry Pratchett's Last Hero has some awesome and terribly funny space dragons.

Edit: corrected typo

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 6:27:42 PM PDT
You're profile clearly indicates that you are the author of the book you are shilling. Simply because you don't like the MOA doesn't give you any sort of privilege to stealth shill your work here. Saying that you just finished a book - that you wrote - and are asking for suggestions of books like it, is stealth promoting... aka shilling.

Sometimes, when I call people out for self-promotion, they admit they were in error, remove their post, and apologize. Someone who argues the point will never seen a dime of my money. Many others feel the same way, they just aren't as outspoken as I am.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 6:40:26 PM PDT
Kodai Okuda says:
<<--Shilling? It's not shilling when Amazon's horrid M-O-A forum has nothing but authors posting without regard for looking at other author's books. It's a death trap and it has pushed people like me out of it, and thank you for calling me a boy when I'm really a girl (it seems to happen a lot). And I'm asking for recommendations, mind you. I'm sick of the MOA and it's midnight advertisers.-->>

I'm not getting on you when I say this thedragongod, but please understand that people who put the time and effort into marketing their book do not appreciate it when someone tries to claim a right to spam where Amazon has determined they cannot.

I spend a lot of time and money promoting my own work outside of these forums.
I do plug in the MOA to pick up a sale or two, but I DO NOT spam outside that forum.
I strongly recommend that you check out goodreads, facebook, and start building a presence on twitter.
Also, get your book reviewed outside of Amazon.
I have found that the bloggers who review my book make me more sales than any 5 star here on Amazon can.
There are many bloggers on the KDP forum boards who will read and review books for their blogs.
Go check them out.
Goodreads has whole groups dedicated to reviewing works of Independent authors.
Go check them out.
Facebook has book review clubs by bloggers willing to review Indie books.
Go check them out.

But please, stop spamming the SF boards here on Amazon.
There aren't really that many people that come here anyway, so you're not going to make too many sales by spamming here.
In fact, you are more likely to hurt your book than help it.

Publishing is hard work and requires considerable dedication.
If you cannot handle that, you cannot handle being an author.

-End my 2 cents.

On topic:

Dragon's Egg (Del Rey Impact) by Robert L. Forward is a hard SF story that may interest you.

Posted on May 27, 2012 6:47:41 PM PDT
Ciel 1101 says:
Okay, I'll remove the mentioning of my book, and thank you for the book suggestions and helpful posts about the MOA. I'm just frustrated and it will take time for me to get over the frustration.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 6:55:39 PM PDT
Ciel 1101 says:
I downloaded a sample of Dragon's egg a long while ago and I was surprised that there weren't any actual space dragons (but then again, I skimmed the sample).

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 6:58:04 PM PDT
Ciel 1101 says:
Awesome, a Discowrld book. I haven't read any of them, but playing Halo made me interested in the Discworld books. Too bad that one is temporarily out of stock.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 7:00:31 PM PDT
Kodai Okuda says:
Oh, you meant actual dragons as in the mythical creatures.
My apologies.

For that kind of thing I think you're going to have to stick with Fantasy books.
The closest that comes to mind is the Beyond the Moons (Spelljammer / The Cloakmaster Cycle, No. 1) or similar D&D novels dealing with magic space adventures.

I know of no Hard-SF that deal with dragons.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 7:02:02 PM PDT
Ciel 1101 says:
I've actually tried all of the social networks and those haven't helped much. Goodreads was a complete failure when it came to reviews but it attracted people to add it to their to-read list. Facebook didn't help because when I posted about the book or about a contest, 90% of the people wouldn't see it or participate. Twitter helped a little bit, but it wan't significant. Well, as Yotsuba says, Try Try Try! and I really have been trying.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 7:04:12 PM PDT
Ciel 1101 says:
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll look into that book.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 7:05:03 PM PDT
Kodai Okuda says:
It is a long arduous road that is not something you can get rich off.
I write because I love to do it, am willing to put the time and money in, and will never stop until I'm dead.

If you put all your effort into your writing, into marketing it, and stop worrying about the sales so much, you will find that over time you will build a fanbase.
I have, and it took years to do it.
There is no "instant gradification" for the majority of writers.
It's work, work, work.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 10:27:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2012 10:28:15 AM PDT
The problem thedragongod is that you haven't done a lot of promotion. It is literally impossible for you to have done so since your book was first published in January. That's barely 4 months ago.

Promotion is work. It is a job that is harder than 90 percent of traditional jobs. You have to spend hours every single day working at promoting your book if you are an unestablished author. From past threads you have started you have rapidly posted several excerpts from your books, replied to your own messages with comments about how nobody else was responding, and then left the thread, all within an hour or two of time.

What you are doing is like somebody walking up to you on the street and saying "Do you like this song? 'La la la. Every night I dream.' my band is playing at the showbox tonight." and then they walk off. Would you go to the show of somebody who did that if they did no other promotion at all?

Scott Sigler is an independent author. His first major book was EarthCore. He originally had a deal with a publishing company to release it but that publishing company folded the arm that was going to release the book. Scott decided that he wouldn't give up on the book. He created a podcast and released it free as an audio book. He released it at the same times as a paid audiobook on iTunes. He also contacted other podcasters, pretty much any of them that had anything to do with science fiction, fantasy or books and offered to do interviews with them about writing and podcasting. He paid other podcasters to advertise his own EarthCore podcast. He contacted science fiction conventions, book stores, small radio stations and every other avenue he could think of to promote his work. He held long discussions with them about his entry into writing and podcasting and how it was affecting his own life in terms of time taken up and money spent. He basically spent about 8 hours a day promoting his work in addition to holding down a regular job. And once it became a popular podcast he released it as an ebook mostly selling to people who were already fans of the podcast.

He has continued to promote the hell out of each of his books since then. And he hasn't stopped writing like a madman either. He has come out with something like 10 books since 2004. And he still probably needs to hold down a real world job.

Some of the best authors in the world still only make about 50 sales a month out of each book in their back catalog. And those are authors who have been on the bookshelves of all the major book stores and any regular stores that sell books. Not self promoting first time authors.

So what self publishing comes down to is two options. You either write to sell which will involve hours and hours of hard work to see very little return. And maybe, just maybe after years of effort you will become successful. Or you write because you love writing and you just enjoy the fact that you make an occasional sale.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 12:00:06 PM PDT
well said

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 8:57:33 AM PDT
K Rae says:
The Langsyne Chronicles

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 10:20:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2012 10:20:37 AM PDT
Ciel 1101 says:
um, what is that about? The book's product description wasn't very helpful.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 1:40:41 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 1, 2012 10:49:15 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  Mar 3, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions