Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Funny, humorous or comedic scifi/fantasy?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-44 of 44 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 26, 2012 1:57:05 PM PDT
Have you tried the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber Jr? Sword and Sorcery with huge dollops of humor tossed in. They're among my faves.

Posted on May 29, 2012 9:41:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2012 9:51:56 AM PDT
Well the things I've been reading recently are more in the line of humorous fantasy but I can recommend a few:

Will Macmillan Jones The Amulet of Kings and the sequel The Mystic Accountants (Banned Underground) excellent if you like Spike Milligan's books. [sorry had to edit to put that there I left it at the top when I added some more books.]
The Great Rock N Roll Doomsday Tour or any of Darren Humphries other books.
If you like a kind of Red Dwarf/Tarantino cross a good one to try is Z14
This is pure fantasy and less humorous per se but the characters are funny and amusingly dim and they get themselves into all sorts of trouble. A Sword for Hire (The Silent Blade Chronicles)
The Dark Lord's Handbook Just finishing this one, it's a cracking read.

There, that should keep you busy.

Cheers

MTM

Posted on May 29, 2012 10:00:40 AM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
Resume With Monsters is an amusing take on the whole Lovecraft Mythos thingie.

Posted on May 29, 2012 9:59:35 PM PDT
Eileen Schuh says:
Try ROWENA THROUGH THE WALL by Meodie Campbell Rowena Through the Wall: Expanded Edition Read the description first so you know what you're getting. There's a lot happening in this fantasy flight through time and space (*chuckle* *chuckle*)

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 1:38:34 PM PDT
You might want to give Sir Apropos of Nothing a look. It is the first in a series. I am not sure why the paperback from Amazon is so expensive (over $28.00!) but there are cheaper options on Amazon. I read this a few years ago from the library, and I remember enjoying the humor and puns. It would be classified as fantasy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 5:23:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2012 6:15:59 PM PDT
I'm pretty new to the science fiction genre, so my knowledge is limited, but I'd definitely recommend Mark Rayner's work. His books are all really funny, but my personal favourite is "Marvellous Hairy." Basically it's a novel about a guy who signs up to have his DNA messed with and slowly turns into a monkey. It's a bizarre premise and a bizarre book -- I loved it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 6:23:33 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 7:11:44 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 6, 2012 7:14:51 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 7:13:04 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 6, 2012 7:15:57 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 7:26:42 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 6, 2012 7:27:42 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 7:39:01 PM PDT
K. E. Falvo says:
Definitely try "The Melongic Order of Happiness". Quirky,funny, well written. Read the medical disclaimer at the start, you'll get the idea.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 8:14:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2012 8:14:51 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
this is mildly amusing: Ruby 1: The Adventures of a Galactic Gumshoe

It's the collected mini-episodes of a old 70s radio show. There are some sequels too, but I haven't gotten around to listening to them, so I can't vouch for their laugh factor or lack thereof.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 4:37:41 PM PDT
The Flying Sorcerers"The Flying Sorcerers". The more you know about the genre the funnier it is. Has my favorite space pilot whose translated name is "like a color- purplish gray"

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 2:54:21 PM PDT
Dr. R says:
Jack Vance :"Donovan's Job" from "The Dust of Distant Stars" collection. The whole Cugel and Rialto series are also hilarious. Most of his stuff has a humorous bite.
Keith Laumer's "Retief" series before his stroke.
Anything by Bob Asprin
Terry Pratchett's first book -- Dark Side of the Sun
There was one a while back called "the Vampire Master Race Theory", pure fluff but hilarious

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 4:13:03 PM PDT
Juliet King says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 9:20:08 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 3, 2012 11:35:25 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 4:18:00 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 3, 2012 11:35:25 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 5:16:22 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 8, 2012 7:31:58 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 12:36:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2012 12:37:37 AM PDT
Sonja says:
I love books that make me laugh. Terry Pratchett doesn't. Makes me feel bad, because others like him so well. Some books that made me laugh:

Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan saga. It begins with Cordelia's Honor - but Cordelia is his mother. While the first book or 2 are definitely good for back story, what really causes laughter are the antics of Miles.
Piers Anthony's Xanth series - these books are very pun heavy. I generally find people enjoy either Pratchett OR Anthony so YMMV.
Lisa Shearin's Raine Benares series - VERY heavy on the sarcasm. But, really had me laughing out loud.
Christopher Stasheff - especially the Warlock In Spite of Himself series. (at least that is what *I* call it. He calls it something else.) This is one of my first laughter finds and I was very pleased to see that it has been re-released digitally lately.
Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series beginning with Jhereg

I am now looking into other books suggested in this thread! Good luck to you.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  May 23, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions