Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL
Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Fall Out Shelters

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-35 of 35 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 10, 2010 8:18:35 PM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
Unless you mean entire underground planet-cities like Asimov's Trantor, I had the paperback once of "Half-Past Human" by T.J.Bass. Humanity, which lived in below ground 'Hives', had been genetically altered to remove their big toes which reduced aggression. Our descendents were called (four toed) Nebishes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2010 6:50:33 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
If you're still looking, take a look at Duende Meadow by Paul Cook - it's a different take on the fallout shelter...

Posted on May 3, 2011 1:27:41 AM PDT
2theD says:
Reviving a dead thread, yet again... and surprise, I'm not plugging any new novel!

Finished Gemini Rising (1982) in about 2-3 hours. I gave it a rare scathing review, but if you're a completist for the underground science fiction novel, then it's a must read.

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 3:23:05 AM PDT
2theD says:
Your highness...

"The world had once been free. Men walked openly in the sunlight, gazed at the starry night, dreamed of conquests greater than that of just staying alive. But freedom had died a long time ago, so many hundreds of years in the past that no one really remembered any longer what freedom really meant. Earth was still there, a few hundred feet over their heads, while men crawled through the ancient tunnels like animals, kept in subjugation by drugs, slaves to the most corrupt government ever conceived -- but none dared to go there. The surface was dead, poisoned, taboo -- until the children of Earth's last generation forced their way out of humankind's grave!"

The Unreal People - Martin Siegel

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 10:43:25 PM PDT
J. Zimmerman says:
It was never published in book form, but there was a sequel to Palmer's Emergence called Threshold (I think!) which was serialized in a magazine in the late 1990s/early 2000s IIRC. I think you can find it if you hunt around online.

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 10:45:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2011 10:46:23 PM PDT
J. Zimmerman says:
There was a mediocre sci-fi book by Mick Farren titled 'Vickers' which revolved around a several-thousand-people-strong catastrophe shelter. Also, there's a great short story by Keith Laumer in the 'Bolo' universe called 'Night of the Trolls' which sort of fits the bill. And, oh! Near the 2/3 point of the book 'Armageddon 2149 AD' (the origin of 'Buck Rogers') there is a sequence where the Han enemy have created vast underground cities to hide out from the surviving Americans.

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 11:53:11 PM PDT
2theD says:
I keep reviving this thread for the love of the genre!

One more addition, just finished it: Testament XXI (Daw UQ1064).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2011 1:10:37 AM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
Testament XXI is one of my guilty pleasures, I think I mentioned it above, it's very hardcore new wave. I haven't seen anything else by Snyder either.

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 8:27:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2011 8:30:14 AM PDT
2theD says:
I couldn't decide to rate it 2-stars, 3 or 4 or 5... it's very unusual. Maybe 3-stars was a bit harsh... 4-stars would be a better rating?
Argh, just gotta read it for yourself. Unique. Just that.
(and... doy!... you mentioned the book in the 4th post)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2011 9:37:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 17, 2011 9:47:58 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
@Mike, I think Testament XXI is a touchstone of sorts, it's pretty much designed so that only an unregenerate oldskool new wave fanboy could really love it. In fact, I used it as the example in my massively ignored thread, titled something on the order of "You know you are an X fanboy/girl if you like Y". That's why I don't normally recommend it in these parts. Till Human Voices Wake Us is something that has a similar vibe.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Read fresh new science fiction stories - and help take them to the next level
10 Aug 16, 2015
Important announcement from Amazon
190 Jul 2, 2014
New Star Wars Release: The Jedi Path now available. Read the author's insider notes...
31 Sep 3, 2015
It's November 2015. What sci-fi are you reading? 9 3 minutes ago
technology 5 5 hours ago
MARS 10 6 hours ago
How about LitRPG (MMO-based virtual reality books)? 97 1 day ago
anyone recognize this novel? 7 6 days ago
spaceports 3 8 days ago
Spaceships 37 8 days ago
Does my movie stink?? 2 8 days ago
Ják 5 8 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  May 26, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 17, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions