Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation
Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Indie authors are the shining hope for scifi

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 851-875 of 899 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 8:17:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2012 8:20:07 PM PDT
TO: Linell Jeppsen

RE: "...because the hero is a half-human Sasquatch..."

The point about a human-alien hybrid is a major sticking point, in my humble opinion. I had exactly the same reaction to the television series "V" (I saw the DVD version.), when it had an alien who was disguised as a human impregnate a human woman. Why, we (so far) cannot create a human-chimp hybrid (I don't know why anyone would want to do so.) and human and chimp DNA are about 95%-98% (It depends on the methodology of the particular study.) identical. It is highly improbable that human DNA would be compatible enough with whatever molecule(s) are used by a totally alien biology to transmit genetic information to culminate in any result at all, much less a viable offspring. It would be much more likely that the body of the gestation carrier (For the sake of discussion, I'm assuming a human female.) would flush out the alien material; it would probably make her sick and might even kill her. Biological contact between human and aliens would not be as trivial as sex between two humans of different races. So that's why I have such a negative reaction to the very concept of a human-alien hybrid.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 9:14:58 PM PDT
I just published my 2nd book in a sci-fi trilogy through Createspace. I thought i had done a good job of editing, but looking back at the 1st book now I'm able to find several mistakes (grammar, dates and times that conflict, etc.). Part of the problem was that I was excited to get my book out and didn't take the proper time to go through it thoroughly. Definitely learned from it. I believe the 2nd book should be much better in that regard. That being said, I plan to release the entire trilogy as one volume once I am done and review it thoroughly, thoroughly, thoroughly. I wasn't an English major, but my wife was, so I'll have to let her get after it! Good luck with your book! How has it done so far?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 10:57:25 PM PDT
You should get better over time, or at least different. Your first novel has all the mistakes that you hate by the second. Your second uses styles that you can't stand by the third.... Just a part and parcel with the business, and the sign of a true professional with any field of work. Quite simply never being satisfied with your own quality, and striving to improve it with each effort.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 11:22:00 PM PDT
I 'jumped' from page six to here, and I am not sure whether the initial conversation was relegated to infamy yet or not. The whole editor/technical writing/writer/indie etc., argument/debate/discussion........

I find it amazing to read what writers and editors have to say about writing...... Then I listen to what READERS have to say about writing. This is a business, not an 'art form', and the customer is always right.

What makes a good writer? Ask the readers. They will tell you it is someone whom writes a story they cannot put down, and HAVE to see what is in the next chapter. Spelling, grammar, and other technical skills which can be either learned or taught cannot do one thing. That one thing I mention is that you cannot be taught instinctive story telling.

The question is essentially whom a person is trying to impress. If you are trying to impress either writers or editors, you are examining the wrong business market.

I cannot speak for anyone else on this subject, as the ultimate outcome shall always be a personal choice made the various authors individually and severally.

Personally, I shall attempt to impress my customers whom buy my books and ultimately put food on my table, so to speak. That STARTS with story telling, and ENDS with story telling ability.

I have seen writers with zero grammatical/editorial/writing skills and a demonstrably limited vocabulary who had massive fan bases that flocked to every word they wrote. They could 'spin one heck of a yarn', to use a colloquialism. Story telling, or writing which is but story telling in the written form, is about telling a great story.

I think all too many writers have mostly forgotten who they are selling to, what they are selling, and why.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 11:41:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2012 11:42:49 PM PDT
I agree with this. I have sent my novel to beta-readers and to a peer-reading-critics group. I got very positive feedbacks, most importantly everyone have read till the last word but one, who admitted sci-fi and post-apocalyptic scenario is something he personally dislike, so he dropped the book but was still positive and praised my "original voice".

All of them, and because English is not my mother tongue, made remarks on how I wrote the story, and the language twists and quirks. Still the story kept them going through. That was a great boost for me, of course, and...it triggered something:

How much better would have been their experience if the writing was not twisted, presented a nice flow, etc. Still with my choice of words and images but written in a way that was also pleasing? I took the book off any online channel and am working with an editor. It is a bet of course, will it have a greater impact then my original manuscript? I hope so. I also hope to have you read the edited novel once it is out, hopefully in a couple months still.

I didn't do it having as a goal to sell more copies, I did it having in mind a better reading experience for whoever will read my story: they deserve my best efforts.

My 2 cents

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 11:51:24 PM PDT
DMDutcher says:
It depends on the kind of science fiction. I think indie authors do very well at unpopular or niche subgenres of it that aren't marketable in the current climate. Cyberpunk, Steampunk, Hard SF, and classic style Space Opera come to mind. I think they suffer however when trying to duplicate the same best selling subgenres dominated by mainstream authors like Military SF.

Essentially indies are the new midlist, but with less quality control. It's good in a way because I really don't think we'd see authors like Robert Reed, Tim Zahn, S. Andrew Swann, or other B-list writers in today's fiercely competitive market. It's safer to put out another Werewolf paranormal fantasy or video game tie-in. It's bad though because it's much harder to just browse them and see new authors because the editing isn't there, and you're often supporting a writer who has the potential to be good over one that actually is.

So you have to be realistic. I have read a few books I enjoyed quite a bit though, and I do recommend people to give indie books a chance, if just skimming the free sample.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 4:30:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2012 4:34:02 AM PDT
Jade Kerrion says:
It is, I believe, almost impossible to perfectly self-edit a book. I read books on self-editing, went through my novel time and time again following the advice in the books. I hacked, slashed, and burned. And then I sent it to professional editor. The novel came back awash in a sea of red ink.

That said, you do learn as you go. My second novel came back much less red than the first, and I even got a virtual pat on the back from my editor who noticed significant improvements between the first and second novels. I don't think I'm ready to do without an editor yet, but by the time I write my 100th book, I may finally have self-editing down to an art form... :-)

BTW, I'm hosting a Goodreads Giveaway. Enter to win a chance at 2 free print copies of my award-winning novel. http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/28337-perfection-unleashed

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 7:07:22 AM PDT
Thanks for the kind and thoughtful response to my questions. In all actuality, I have little choice in where the latest novel will be placed. I think, because the work is so outside of the box, that the publisher will place Onio in dark, urban fantasy... and, rightly so. The science (what little there is,) is fluid, and more like magic than anything.

Being fairly new to the world of Amazon publishing, I saw that my sales rose significantly when my publisher remembered to tag Story Time in science fiction. This, of course means more money! I hate to seem greedy, but I also hate to think that Onio will languish in with the multitude of vampire romances that fill the Dark Urban Fantasy lists right now...sigh!

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 1:54:59 PM PDT
Gareth Flood says:
If you're looking a new indie author voice in Science Fiction with a unique style, try my friend's 5 star Science Fiction novel Silicon Succession available free on 30th-1st on kindle ebook. FREE! http://ow.ly/bW4UR

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 7:21:46 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 30, 2012 7:22:34 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012 7:27:41 AM PDT
Khoti Sarque says:
A really good story will sell, despite really bad writing, if it starts with a big enough bang. But the same story, written well and decently edited, will sell better and leave a better impression of the author - so his/her next book will get a better start. For an example of a good story well-presented,Goliath and the Killer Zombie try Goliath and the Killer Zombie [it's not your typical zombie tale, a bit more substantial].

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012 10:03:15 PM PDT
Jay Katana says:
There used to be a lot of publications and magazine that would publish short stories from new writers. Some of them even paid for the stories. It was an important part of the eco-system, the

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 7:22:13 AM PDT
I did 'crosses' in Paradox Equation, but the circumstances and species are unusual. More common, a quote from another book, "It's easier to cross a trout and a goat than a human and alien. They're at least from the same evolutionary track."

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 7:30:15 AM PDT
From "Khoti Sarque" 's profile:

"In My Own Words:
If you like SF, try my first novel 'Goliath and the Killer Zombie. ...."

Oddly, the book itself claims to be by one "Ian Cant." Hmm.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 7:44:55 AM PDT
I hear so many authors say they "write for everybody." That's 30 years of "blockbuster method" and the economics of mass distribution. Who are your audience? Often, a look in a mirror is a good place to start a description. Ursula LeGuin said, "Write what you like to read." Since I couldn't find enough of that after the multi-national multimedia corps bought the bleeding-red-ink brand-name traditional publishers in the 80's, I write the socially aware and experimental type of SF I could no longer find. (Those big corporations weren't going to publish anything critical of corporations, were they?) I've been doing it and publishing electronically for 20 years. Of course I knew it would be twenty before we reached this point. I'm a world builder, a working social dynamicist abd philosopher, a science fiction author.

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 7:18:51 PM PDT
Can I post a fan fiction piece here, just to get a comment on how it is, because something that I'm writing is derived from it. Or should I make a new thread? Or rather Discussion, as Amazon seems to call it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 7:21:52 PM PDT
I tried it and I was VERY disappointed by the results. It's important to be involved with the copy editing. You will find things the editors and beta readers miss, but you will not be able to do it without them. You simply know what you meant to say!

Noah Mullette-Gillman
Author of The Dead Have Ruled Earth For 200 Years

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 7:23:00 PM PDT
I don't know if that's true. A story with bad writing will get bad reviews, and you won't get many sales after that.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 7:49:33 PM PDT
There are fanfic sites available, or you could try the site fanfiction.net. If you were into HPL or CAS tributes you could try The Eldritch Dark. A fanfic thread would probably be viewed as clutter, or be deleted by Amazon because of copyright infringement.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 7:53:45 PM PDT
Yeah, but general replies to it are... not very helpful. What if I just post the link and you comment on the document. You know, the way I phrase that makes it sound like I want to force you, specifically you when I'm trying to mean in general. Goddamn it.

So?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2012 1:27:25 AM PDT
What's the worst that could happen, except maybe a literary massacre. ;-D

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2012 4:05:19 AM PDT
... My name is Lord and Master and I approve of this message :p.

I'm using a google doc link for ease. Should be able comment on my *checks* 'literary masterpiece'.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GAZaJrBYhXQ9-HkBv7JXEOkJQoiYnmn4Y56AlG50lB8/mobilebasic?pli=1

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 9:26:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2012 9:27:53 AM PDT
Not bad, but you need to do a proofread "L", not "l". In instead of his, I think. Check noun-verb agreement. You've got people were, which would be correct, but people isn't the noun. Darn, couldn't find it quick. It's a good piece of fanfic.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2012 7:12:58 PM PDT
TO: Spinner

RE: "More common, a quote from another book, "It's easier to cross a trout and a goat than a human and alien. They're at least from the same evolutionary track.""

My point exactly!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2012 7:31:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2012 7:38:01 PM PDT
I'd really prefer 'crosses' not be considered a standard set or plot piece, like star drives and anti-gravity, primarily because people do know those can't be done, yet, They don't understand that those are just physics and crossing species from different evolutionary tracks is way down the road from them, if at all possible, ever.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  172
Total posts:  899
Initial post:  Sep 12, 2010
Latest post:  Sep 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions