Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Announcement

Important announcement from Amazon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 191 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 16, 2011 2:18:03 PM PDT
Amazon recently created a new community for authors. The `Meet Our Authors' community is designed to give authors a space to engage with one another and promote their latest and greatest works.

With the advent of the new community, we will no longer allow self promotional posts in other communities. Starting on Monday, May 16th, all "shameless self promotion" activity will be limited to the `Meet Our Authors' community. Promotional threads outside of these forums will be removed.

We invite authors and interested readers to come join the discussion at:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors

We look forward to seeing you!

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2011 5:11:52 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
This is a welcome move (thanks!), but what steps if any will you be taking to ensure that this doesn't just result in an increase in promotional posts by sock-puppets?

Posted on May 16, 2011 9:37:57 PM PDT
2theD says:
This is excellent news. Those who regularly post threads in the forum and review mainstream books will greatly appreciate this, like myself. (I guess the 'Report abuse' button DOES work after all!)

Posted on May 17, 2011 10:19:16 AM PDT
Pulpman says:
You have just told Independent authors. That their work is no longer wanted on Kindle. Won't that hurt Amazon.I am surprised by this. Most self promoters did actually add alot to discussions and forums. I am not an author but have been endorsing a book that I feel will be ignored by the general public because it comes from a small press. Yet if I endorse any book now I am a sock puppet, that is insuting. I will say that I am surprised that Amazon took these steps. When those that complained managed to get this done, they did not do Amazon any favors I for one believe that a good portion of Amazon's sales in books come from those self endorsing authors, what if they stop buying?
In summary I noticed as I write this on the side of my screen a box on recently viewed discussions. All of them are endorsing something are you going to elliminate them also.
1) What TV series was ahead of its Time and...
2)Have You Written A Sci-Fi Book Display Case.
3) Heinlein senile genious.
4)Attention Authors (2011 publication only)
Don't all discussion and forums start and end with endorsments. Also the top of this box ask me for a product placement how ironic

Posted on May 17, 2011 1:10:13 PM PDT
Mrs. Garside says:
So, authors are now only allowed to promote their work to other authors? Help me understand this.

Trolls and spammers are a problem, but this kind of segregation isn't the solution.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 1:36:44 PM PDT
D. Atkinson says:
"We invite authors and interested readers to come join the discussion..." Where does it say it's limited to other authors?

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 4:20:08 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
"I am not an author but have been endorsing a book that I feel will be ignored by the general public because it comes from a small press."

Good for you, Pulpman. But what are you complaining about? The Amazon post above refers only to "self promotional posts", no? So if you're not an author promoting your own book, the new restriction doesn't apply.

And since you say you're not an author, you won't be promoting your own book under your "Pulpman" user name here and thereby obscuring the fact that you are the author, self-promoting your own book. (Which is what sockpuppeting [sockpuppetry?] means.) So again, this doesn't apply to you.

Not sure what you're so upset about.

(And Mrs. Garside, I'm surprised at you. Reading [closely, what is actually written] is fundamental.)

Posted on May 18, 2011 8:05:34 AM PDT
Pulpman says:
I am not complaining as more to the point I was trying to show Amazon management that they are making a mistake.If you read my message. I point out that endosements are all over the page . Also If Amazon did not want people to mention products why have a product placement on the box that we use to have these discussions. It seems to me that Amazon management has forgotten the simple rule to good retailing,Always advertise when possible. Have the product in the publics eye.
If we are to be honest (you hint I might not be} face it Amazon is not a sci-fi communty forum but in reality a retail store on the internet. Product placements are and should be expected

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2011 1:02:34 PM PDT
Mrs. Garside says:
I agree. There was nothing wrong with the old system of banning spammers. This sounds like Amazon's taking an easy way out.

Will they delete a post from a reader asking for recommendations? It's not clear what the point of this new forum is.

And, it won't be long before spammers show up there too.

Posted on May 18, 2011 3:31:56 PM PDT
I do hope that enforcement of this rule is consistent but not strict.

Posted on May 18, 2011 3:52:50 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Meh. I think you're both overreacting.

I do agree that deleting posts in a thread where someone specifically asks for suggestions would be too strict and quite silly. (My Kindle sampler thread, for example. :)

Posted on May 20, 2011 5:14:33 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 20, 2011 6:02:23 AM PDT]

Posted on May 20, 2011 6:12:04 AM PDT
Dog Lover says:
OK - why was my post deleted. Was it because of my reference to a body part? I'm seriously asking here because I don't want to make the same mistake again.

DL

Posted on May 21, 2011 4:22:28 AM PDT
K.C. May says:
As an author, I'm totally down with this move! Those who are looking for new indie voices can head over to the new forum. Those who aren't won't have their conversations continually interrupted by drive-bys.

Posted on May 21, 2011 10:58:50 AM PDT
I welcome more communities. I quit reading the Amazon forum because of the caustic anti-author rhetoric of self-appointed English vigilantes. I would like to see their posts moved to an exclusive "middle school English" community. There they can vainly defend the failing bureaucratic age, and stew in their own bile.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 11:06:10 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
(Aw... Been on the receiving end of a few barbs, Allan? "If you prick us, do we not bleed [purple ink]?")

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 11:13:11 AM PDT
Actually I enjoy a debate, I have thick skin. My works appeal to few, confuse most others. What I hate to see is promising young authors, not aware of this forum jungle, being torn apart by hyenas that feel an MFA is a license to kill. A pleasant suggestion would be more appropriate, but requires wisdom of a critic. I'm not holding my breath.

Posted on May 21, 2011 1:31:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2011 8:16:27 PM PDT
Jed Fisher says:
Well as soon as I finish my MFA...

Posted on May 21, 2011 5:16:57 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
(Who has an MFA?)

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 5:57:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2011 6:04:37 PM PDT
Ronald,

Good point. T'was from a past sarcastic post; easier to claim than earn, eh. Guess I got off topic. Now about that author's ghetto . . .

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 11:31:37 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 22, 2011 5:47:35 AM PDT
Pulpman says:
Why isn't the new author's forum listed below with the other discussion. It should be just a click away. After all we not trying to isolate them in a writer's ghetto. Right!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2011 6:01:10 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Yeah, bookmarking is such a pain. Even the thought of having to pull down the menu and click the command just wears me out...

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2011 6:23:03 AM PDT
Pulpman says:
The only thing that is such a pain is your attitude. It still does answer why isn't the new forum listed like the others!

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2011 6:32:32 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Well, I'm seeing a "Meet Our Authors" link down at the bottom of this page under "More Customer Discussions" > "Most active community forums".

Are you not seeing it as well, or is it too much trouble to scroll down that far?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  64
Total posts:  191
Initial post:  May 16, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions