Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Jana Kramer All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Best recently published syfy or fantasy book you have read

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 9, 2012 8:54:24 PM PDT
Gingersnap says:
Looking for recently published (last two years) syfy/fantasy books to read. Any recommendations? My own recommendation would be Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Thanks!

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 9:43:32 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
Probably the three best I'd put forward for general consumption:

(1) Hull Zero Three

(2) The Last Man on Earth Club

(3) Enigmatic Pilot: A Tall Tale Too True

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 5:16:38 AM PDT
TGJ22 says:
I just read Time Slider. My husband and I both loved it. It was published this year I think.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 6:53:57 AM PDT
Lilacteapot says:
Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5)
The best SciFi in the last 5 years. And...he is coming out with part 6 on the 19th of this month.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 7:14:38 AM PDT
AaronJ says:
A classmate at the university I attended had this published a few months ago. My science fiction and fantasy creative writing professor got it and loved it, so I got it. I also loved it.
The Revival

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 8:49:27 AM PDT

Has it come to that?

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 7:42:31 PM PDT
Captain says:
Anything by Iain M. Banks. Best sci-fi out there. Start with Look To Windward or Consider Phlebas to get the background for the rest of his books.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 11:11:24 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
I think we can all agree that when discussing 'Science Fiction', we should draw the line at nitwit phonetics for the sake of trademarking. Having said that, it's in the post's title line so we're stuck with it:(

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 5:51:08 AM PDT
I read the first "Wool" story and bought the omnibus because I had to read more. Anything "post-apocalyptic" is fine by me, but these are an order of magnitude better than what you usually see. Howey is a very fine writer, and I'd love to read more of his stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 5:51:46 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 6:16:57 AM PDT
Lilacteapot says:
Part 6 is due out on the 19th of this month. I can't wait.

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 7:33:29 AM PDT
Recently read The Wreck of the River of Stars, by Michael Flynn, and was absolutely blown away by his writing style. Haven't read anything else by him, yet, but I can guarantee I will, and soon. To be clear, this was not your average story, it deals with a once grand solar sailing passenger liner still in something resembling service long after she becomes obsolete, and the crew, still clinging to hope all the while knowing she is doomed. I've never read anything quite like it, and the writer is a virtuoso with words.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 8:32:14 AM PDT
Thanks for the rec, Rodney. It sounds interesting and has good reviews here on amazon. I just requested it from my library network .. where, incidentally, it has a 2* (out of 5) rating :-).

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 8:51:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2012 8:55:34 AM PDT
I really enjoyed John Scalzi's "Old Man's War" series with the first being the best and the next two waning a bit in excellence. The protagonist has a wonderfully wry sense of humor and an endearing and humble personality. It's definitely a hard sci-fi book but not techy or cyber-punk like Neal Stephenson.
I also enjoyed "The Knife of Never Letting Go" by Patrick Ness. I liken it to Hunger Games in that it's a violent YA trilogy about two teens fighting for survival in a dystopian society. Having read both, enjoyed Ness' book more. I just wish it had a catchier title!

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 8:54:40 AM PDT
I'm envious of Wool's author, but that won't stop me reading and enjoying the whole series! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 12:55:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2012 12:56:34 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
"The Wreck of the River of Stars" is probably my favorite recent read, but it was outside of your 2 year limit, so I didn't mention it:)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 2:42:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 15, 2012 1:05:12 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 2:57:08 PM PDT
Gingersnap says:
Thanks to all who responded to my post - particularly those who recommended "Wool" by Hugh Howey - I am reading it and am just fascinated by it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012 3:54:30 PM PDT
E. Day says:
I really enjoyed that book too. Did you try Neal Stephenson"s Reamde?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012 5:51:25 PM PDT
Gingersnap says:
No, but I will. Thanks

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 9:25:08 AM PDT
Just picked up Eifelheim by Michael Flynn, will soon give review. Had to chime in on ANYTHING by Scalzi, he's just really clever and a good writer as well, very enjoyable.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 12:42:20 PM PDT
Patrick Rothfuss, "The Name of the Wind." Fantasy at its best in an interesting narrative structure.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 4:03:59 PM PDT
R. Eaton says:
2nd the recommendation on Reamde. Great plot and character development by Stephenson as always. Hated to see it end!

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 8:00:26 PM PDT
Galaxy Rising

very recent ( 2012 publication )...'Galaxy Rising'....follows on from 'Broken Planet'....(john otto)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 7:06:56 AM PDT
Lilacteapot says:
Make sure you pick up First Shift - Legacy (Part 6 of the Silo Series) (Wool) . He just published it over the weekend.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Read fresh new science fiction stories - and help take them to the next level
10 Aug 16, 2015
Important announcement from Amazon
190 Jul 2, 2014
New Star Wars Release: The Jedi Path now available. Read the author's insider notes...
31 Sep 3, 2015
Its October 2015. What sci-fi book are you reading? 1 4 hours ago
How about LitRPG (MMO-based virtual reality books)? 84 7 hours ago
Copying files from MacBook to Fire HD 10 0 14 hours ago
World leading science fiction 3 1 day ago
"The Martian" is da bomb 3 3 days ago
Anne McCaffrey being pirated on Amazon? 4 5 days ago
the science fiction forum 31 8 days ago
It's September 2015. What sci-fi book are you reading? 19 9 days ago
Kindle Unlimited: Science Fiction Recommendations 144 18 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Apr 9, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions