Customer Discussions > Science forum

David Coppedge update!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 187 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 11, 2012 12:22:27 PM PDT
Rev. Otter says:
i've been waiting for the JPL/CalTech trial verdict. this update isn't that.

"Creation Weekend to feature David Coppedge!"

http://www.create.ab.ca/creation-weekend-to-feature-david-coppedge/

David Coppedge is also a prominent apologist for young earth creation and intelligent design. He is a member of the board of Illustra Media, which has produced excellent videos such as Unlocking the Mystery of Life, Privileged Planed, Darwin's Dilemma and Metamorphosis. He also provides daily commentary on scientific articles which have just appeared. CSAA's website provides a link to the insightful and upbeat Creation-Evolution Headlines (which has been operative since 2001). In a more popular vein, David Coppedge has published articles in Institute for Creation Research's Acts and Facts Magazine.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 12:34:57 PM PDT
Rev. Otter says:
(if there is any news on the actual verdict, by the way, i haven't found it ...)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 6:31:25 PM PDT
barbW says:
it could take more months..

This guy actually believes that Saturn was 'created' by supernatural magic less than 10,000 years ago? How could he be an effective team leader? Maybe he just wanted to sue, maybe he's backed by big money..

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 7:22:15 PM PDT
w413

His suit could be a lame attempt to get ID legal credibility.

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 9:59:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2012 10:00:33 PM PDT
B. Barrick says:
It could also be an attempt to right a wrong when he was unjustly dismissed from his job. Isn't it interesting that you can "do" all of science well without believing in billions of years and macro-evolution. The actual working out of science doesn't require that belief--you know, like in the scientific method, etc.
And his suit could help other people who might also have their free speech rights infringed upon.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 9:39:18 AM PDT
Re Barrick, above: "Isn't it interesting that you can "do" all of science well without believing in billions of years and macro-evolution." Actually, you can't. No one can do competent biology without an understanding of evolution, why it is correct, and how to use the ToE to elicit biological facts.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 10:29:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2012 10:30:22 AM PDT
B. Barrick says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 10:45:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2012 10:47:13 AM PDT
Rev. Otter says:
<<Just came through Utah a couple weeks ago--what a phenomenal place. Obviously some amazing things happened there in the past. Catastrophic I would say, extremely unlikely to have taken billions of years, but mine is an amateur's view.>>

neat. :)

i live in a place that was slowly carved by glaciers over many, many millions of years.

this is *not* an amateur's view, and is supported by geology, glaciology, topography, paleobotany, etc etc etc ...

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 10:54:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 29, 2012 6:31:14 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 11:01:37 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Nothing here but declarations of incredulity! Male-female sex! It would NEVER happen, says the amateur. Except, it did.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 2:44:55 PM PDT
The Weasel says:
Rev. Otter says:
i live in a place that was slowly carved by glaciers over many, many millions of years.

this is *not* an amateur's view, and is supported by geology, glaciology, topography, paleobotany, etc etc etc ...
In other words "you're not sure." :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 5:19:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2012 5:40:06 PM PDT
Deckard says:
B. Barrick said:
"They can do their jobs well, get promotions, be honored by their peers--though once in awhile some like David Coppedge run into people who cannot bear that someone working in science may not buy the party line. And that is what it is, a party line, and its holders are becoming more totalitarian."

And you are perfect example of the dangers of religious fanaticism. You say anything to prop up your myths, tell any lie to keep your precious fairy tales.

How can anyone be a scientist and reject the massive amount of evidence for an old earth and that the bible is scientific nonsense.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 5:43:55 PM PDT
Deckard says:
Christopher Haynes said:
"So says Doc Koonin pHd Uncle Sam's leading Peer Reviewed Molecular Biology Guru
Doc Koonin says "glimpses of a new synthesis may be discerened....."

I will ask the question again - is it your claim that Koonin is a creationist?

Now remember - your bible tells you not to lie. What is your answer?

Oh, wait, I forgot, you never actually answer any questions.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 9:03:53 PM PDT
B. Barrick says:
And "the lie" would be? What?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 9:36:35 PM PDT
Rev: One reason our government has problems: You can't fire an employee for acting like a perfect idiot.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 10:07:39 PM PDT
Re Barrick 8-28 10:29 AM: "who all hold to biblical creation" They are not biologists. Nor are they even competent scientists in any field.

"And never rule out the catastrophe that a world wide flood would cause." The flood tale has been known to be fiction for almost two centuries; it requires a determined ignorance to suppose that it has any truth whatever. I have cited dozens of scientific papers which are in my personal possession which show this; there are literally thousands more.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 3:48:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 29, 2012 3:53:10 AM PDT
Deckard says:
B. Barrick said:
"And "the lie" would be? What?"

Evolution is a fact.
The old earth and an older universe is a fact.
Genesis origins story is nonsense, and Noah's Flood never happened.
There is no evidence that any supernatural event in the bible is true.

Utah's geology didn't take billions of years, but a lot (not all) of it took millions of years. Anyone who says that it all happened "quickly" (as in a YEC time frame) is either willfully ignorant or lying.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 9:00:49 AM PDT
Brian Curtis says:
Still running from the question you're too scared to answer, eh Haynes? Too bad it's not going to work. Here it is again:

"So basically, every sighting of a UFO, dragon, ghost, superman, sharks with lasers, or any other outrageous claim made by someone actually did happen because, after all, they observed it happening, right?"

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 10:08:43 AM PDT
The Weasel says:
Did he get out of the straitjacket okay? Can we still see the Statue of Liberty?

Or Coppedge, not Copperfield - nevermind

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 10:49:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 29, 2012 10:51:17 AM PDT
John Donohue says:
>>B. Barrick says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Hide post again. (Show all unhelpful posts)]
RE: Mr. Saunders: I'm quite sure that people who actually work in science fields would find great disagreement with you...<<

Yes, an engineer doesn't need to understand how the endocrine system works nor does a physicist have to understand evolution -- many probably don't. But NO physicist can evaluate evidence and decide that the earth is only 6000 years old -- basic principles of elementary particle theory make this impossible to support.

Mediocre scientists don't need to be informed about other sciences -- but when a person who claims to represent a science institution makes crackpot claims -- whether it is about the efficacy of crystals to cure arthritis or of the scientific accuracy of Genesis -- it is the institution's right to terminate the employment of that person.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 10:50:36 AM PDT
John Donohue says:
More Dunning-Kruger examples follow:

Us Creationstis we thank our Atheist Science Groupie friends, again
for a another laugh.

Take this
"Ahem, No one can do competent biology without an understanding of evolution balh blah blah"

Guys how can you have an "understanding of evolution", when they cant say what evolution is?
That's a howl, huh?

Look at the Ahem, the Modern Evolutionary Synthesis. What they teach in them public schools!!!
random mutation
natural Selection
tree of Life
Guys that jazz, its "crumbled beyond repair"!
So says Doc Koonin pHd Uncle Sam's leading Peer Reviewed Molecular Biology Guru
Doc Koonin says "glimpses of a new synthesis may be discerened....."

Guys, Glimpses!!
Them Peer Reviewed Scientists, they dont know what evolution is yet.

Here's a tip for our Atheist Science groupie friends.
Fellas, stay out of biology.
You start preaching evolution, before they know what it is, youll look like a goof.

Sorry guys, we know you wannabe a gonnabe, but Peer Reviwed Sciencewise, all youre gonnabe is a wannabe

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 10:59:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 29, 2012 7:37:55 PM PDT
barbW says:
Thanks John, I had to read up on it, but it's merely common sense, isn't it?

wiki says;
The Dunning-Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 3:40:03 PM PDT
Re Donohoe, 8-29 10:50 AM: I really didn't need to see another bit of Haynes' idiocy to recognize him as a cretin. One of his favorite ploys is to misquote Koonin; he has done it over and over again, notwithstanding that Koonin himself said that Haynes' stuff was a misrepresentation of his position. I have had Haynes on Ignore for many months -- and there he shall remain.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 3:50:10 PM PDT
John Donohue says:
Robert Saunders >>I have had Haynes on Ignore for many months -- and there he shall remain.<<

I ignore Haynes too but it is too tempting to rattle his cage every once in a while. Dummass, arrogant, christian, anti-science brownshirts need to be countered from time to time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 10:35:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 10:50:06 AM PDT
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  187
Initial post:  Jun 11, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions